WGA & SAG Strike of 2023 | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

WGA & SAG Strike of 2023

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Studios keep showing their hand and it's embarrassing. Burn it all down and start new at this point because it's straight up clownery with these execs. I hope we continue to see indies like A24 and Neon push through and lead the way with all of this BS.

Disgusting that the AMPTP essentially set the WGA up. Also, do they realize that it was recently ruled by a judge that AI written works are not copyright-able? Do the studios not want to own their content?

If it's only AI generated but I heard the law could have wiggle room if the AI was working with a human

So I'm sure companies will find a way to make it work for them

Disgusting that the AMPTP essentially set the WGA up. Also, do they realize that it was recently ruled by a judge that AI written works are not copyright-able? Do the studios not want to own their content?

That is a huge statement right there that I knew but didn't fully think through. I believe they would still own the character, but that specific look of the character would be fair game.

If true, Knock off everything from actual vendors. They would lose so much money in toys and clothing.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
I wonder if it gets to a point where Disney actually pushes The Marvels. I think that movie more than most Marvel movies really needs the actors promoting it (although I sort of feel like it’s gonna bomb either way so maybe they just hope for the best with a good P&A spend)

I wonder if it gets to a point where Disney actually pushes The Marvels. I think that movie more than most Marvel movies really needs the actors promoting it (although I sort of feel like it’s gonna bomb either way so maybe they just hope for the best with a good P&A spend)
I think any movie right now would probably do good since there’s gonna be a big dry spell in the theaters. (I’m just assuming I don’t have good knowledge of what’s releasing these upcoming months)

I think any movie right now would probably do good since there’s gonna be a big dry spell in the theaters. (I’m just assuming I don’t have good knowledge of what’s releasing these upcoming months)
If people don't know the movie is coming out though...

Sure, MCU nerds will go (and not even all of them will since it will for sure be a movie many want to make a statement against for whatever reason, I can already see it), but people really forget the power of the press that these actors do for movies until it's not there.

Late Night Show appearances are aimed at older demographics. Youtube appearances such as Hot Ones, doing the general stuff for GQ, Vogue, etc is aimed more at Millennials, but then there's also the avenue of a Mr. Beast crossover which is one of the biggest ways to advertise yourself right now to people of all ages all around the world. Then to appeal very specifically to Gen Z, you take all of that content, and chop it up into small pieces and throw it on TikTok.

That cycle of advertising a movie hits every demographic and makes sure that people know that your movie exists and hopefully have seen enough about it that they want to go see it if they were ever on the fence (or maybe they didn't even know it was coming out). Without that cycle, movies are already reportedly being hurt by at least 15% per movie (this is post-Barbie/Oppenheimer weekend as those were the last films to have a full campaign with actor promotion).

Now it still is August and it's a slower movie going time anyway so things could change, but i'm inclined to believe without that promotion, big budget movies are for all intents and purposes DOA unless a deal gets done. For example - The Creator looks amazing imo and is an original sci-fi picture so I want it to succeed. But does anyone know that it's coming out in just a few weeks? That film couldn't have been cheap, either.

If people don't know the movie is coming out though...

Sure, MCU nerds will go (and not even all of them will since it will for sure be a movie many want to make a statement against for whatever reason, I can already see it), but people really forget the power of the press that these actors do for movies until it's not there.

Late Night Show appearances are aimed at older demographics. Youtube appearances such as Hot Ones, doing the general stuff for GQ, Vogue, etc is aimed more at Millennials, but then there's also the avenue of a Mr. Beast crossover which is one of the biggest ways to advertise yourself right now to people of all ages all around the world. Then to appeal very specifically to Gen Z, you take all of that content, and chop it up into small pieces and throw it on TikTok.

That cycle of advertising a movie hits every demographic and makes sure that people know that your movie exists and hopefully have seen enough about it that they want to go see it if they were ever on the fence (or maybe they didn't even know it was coming out). Without that cycle, movies are already reportedly being hurt by at least 15% per movie (this is post-Barbie/Oppenheimer weekend as those were the last films to have a full campaign with actor promotion).

Now it still is August and it's a slower movie going time anyway so things could change, but i'm inclined to believe without that promotion, big budget movies are for all intents and purposes DOA unless a deal gets done. For example - The Creator looks amazing imo and is an original sci-fi picture so I want it to succeed. But does anyone know that it's coming out in just a few weeks? That film couldn't have been cheap, either.
Ms. Marvel was so good. I hope it goes okay. It is one of Letterboxd most anticipated by audiences atleast.

The Studios, at this point in time, have no initiative to engage in meaningful negotiations. This impasse will drag on for a good while.
I mean.....they will have nothing coming out next year....sure things are getting pushed but in the end they will just lose money from this.

I dont think the writers will give in and all it does is make it where less comes out to buy

I’m not surprised that the current execs (who have been straight up deleting projects) are spinning this as a positive for their P&L. Now when the lack of new product starts effecting them (specifically through add sales and tickets) they’ll have incentive. I’m curious how the fall is gonna look.

I’m not surprised that the current execs (who have been straight up deleting projects) are spinning this as a positive for their P&L. Now when the lack of new product starts effecting them (specifically through add sales and tickets) they’ll have incentive. I’m curious how the fall is gonna look.
Brains of goldfish.

Because the studios are scarring around about pennies coming out of their yearly income, we now have others being unintentionally hurt (since IATSE workers in Hollywood are essentially all out of work) and now the frustration from them is setting in in extreme ways.

that movie is cursed or something.

blue beetle sends his regards