General Discussion - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure | Page 146 | Inside Universal Forums

General Discussion - Hagrid's Magical Creature Motorbike Adventure

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
View attachment 20407
Ministry is the only one on here I'm not too confident.

Epic has more rides than Animal Kingdom... but a lot of those rides (Donkey Kong, Sky Fly, Yoshi) are low in actual THRC.

Edit: Starfall should be showing 2.4K
Shouldn't Monsters be closer to FJ's 2,800?

EDIT: Not sure numbers like MOM and Mario Kart are right either, though MOM, Mario, and Monsters are obviously harder to gauge than the outdoor rides.

I excluded the trails, meet and greets, and Wildlife Express Train if that's what you're referring to. Didn't count those as attendance for those are sub-par and not well attended outside the Gorilla Falls trail.

I'm still baffled as to how DAK could have comparable capacity to Epic. Does Kilimanjaro Safaris just eat 4,000 people an hour or something?

Also where are our Epic capacity numbers coming from? EDIT: (I'm presuming MOM and Monsters are just calculated by comping in the FJ and Spider-Man capacity?)
1) Pretty much every DAK number in that chart is low-balled - the safari is off by around 1,000. Wouldn't label that column as THRC.
2) Nemo and Lion King do pull in people - remains to be seen how the Epic shows are received
3) You can't just ignore what's about 60 minutes of capacity between the train/Rafiki and the two trails. All of them pull C-ticket ride numbers.

Sorry, lost track of the thread - we're getting a bit off topic.

1) Pretty much every DAK number in that chart is low-balled - the safari is off by around 1,000. Wouldn't label that column as THRC.
2) Nemo and Lion King do pull in people - remains to be seen how the Epic shows are received
3) You can't just ignore what's about 60 minutes of capacity between the train/Rafiki and the two trails. All of them pull C-ticket ride numbers.

Sorry, lost track of the thread - we're getting a bit off topic.
I wanted to be conservative in my estimate.

Regarding Safaris, they've been running fewer vehicles recently over the past few months so they've reduced the potential THRC. If I included the "best possible THRC" for Safaris it'll probably be 1/3 of Epic's total park capacity. Either way, my point stands, Epic has a lot of rides... with low capacity. So we'll see what happens.

Back to Hagrid, very interested in seeing what happens whenever LC goes down. Even though they're building an extended queue, they still need a queue in the morning to contain rope drop crowds while they put stuff in a locker. Wondering if they have plans to alter the HE entrance a bit so they can accommodate that?

Agreed. When you look at Studios over the past 8 years the numbers are even worse. You have lost 2 bigger shows (FF and Beetlejuice), 2 continues run shows (terminator & Shrek) and 2 rides (Disaster & Twister). Many of these were people eaters and you only gained 1 really good continues show (Bourne) and 3 mediocre to awful rides (F&F, Fallon, and Minion). Again a net loss of things to do and capacity. Which you are right that then pushes more people to IOA.
Having worked Disaster! I can tell you there wan't much demand. Much of the time we ran shows every 20 minutes (instead of 10) and even 30 minutes later in the day. A people eater is only good when there's people to eat :D

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Having worked Disaster! I can tell you there wan't much demand. Much of the time we ran shows every 20 minutes (instead of 10) and even 30 minutes later in the day. A people eater is only good when there's people to eat :D
But they also closed Beetlejuice and only got F&F which really does it run at max during off season either? It isn't that great. I could give you the point if the ride that replaced BOTH of those things actually increased capacity.

Reactions: Mad Dog
But they also closed Beetlejuice and only got F&F which really does it run at max during off season either? It isn't that great. I could give you the point if the ride that replaced BOTH of those things actually increased capacity.
Universal, like most theme parks, are loathe to upkeep an attraction that draws few people and is falling apart (Disaster! was, literally, a disaster - not one week went by without it going down at least twice- often in the same day. First thing I learned in training was how to evacuate). While F&F draws fewer (although I've seen an hour wait - those poor folks) it costs less to run, doesn't require a big staff, and is easy to maintain.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Gosh, I love this website for the discussions that have taken place the last two pages. I learn so much.

Can I ask a very novice question? What was Universal Creatives initial target for ride through put? I read all the time on this board that it is anything but a people eater. is it due to one of the two drop tracks consistently going down, plus the inability to load people fast enough? Especially if they have to stop the belt for people with mobility difficulties?

Universal, like most theme parks, are loathe to upkeep an attraction that draws few people and is falling apart (Disaster! was, literally, a disaster - not one week went by without it going down at least twice- often in the same day. First thing I learned in training was how to evacuate). While F&F draws fewer (although I've seen an hour wait - those poor folks) it costs less to run, doesn't require a big staff, and is easy to maintain.
I had no issues with Disaster being replaced. What I am saying is replacing BOTH disaster and Beetlejuice and ONLY getting a dud F&F was not great in the long run. It overall is a loss of capacity. Studios overall hasn't done well recently with the replacements and gaining capacity and then shuttering the large stadium doesn't help. If they had that at least for seasonal shows it would be way better. Do a summer type show and Christmas type show and I think it would help a ton with capacity. That is what Sea World does and it helps a ton in those seasons. They use the inside theater by Mako seasonally and take the Animal one and put two Christmas shows in there which means people can go back to the same theater twice in a day. They also use the theater by the water in busy seasons too and add a night show keeping people late spending more money at their holiday booths. It really does help spread the crowds on busy holiday season plus give more revenue with people making a longer day.

Back to Hagrid and IOA today both Hagrids and VC are both over 100. Flight is at 90. Losing LC reduced capacity that they do need in busy times. Both parks need more way to spread out crowds during their busiest times.

Gosh, I love this website for the discussions that have taken place the last two pages. I learn so much.

Can I ask a very novice question? What was Universal Creatives initial target for ride through put? I read all the time on this board that it is anything but a people eater. is it due to one of the two drop tracks consistently going down, plus the inability to load people fast enough? Especially if they have to stop the belt for people with mobility difficulties?
Block sections (in an ideal scenario) are roughly 25ish seconds long so around 2K riders an hour. Realistically you see it at the ~35 secs mark with 1,440 rides an hour, which isn't that bad. But there are a few days you see it around the 45-sec interval mark and you're looking at a rough 1K an hour.

Block sections (in an ideal scenario) are roughly 25ish seconds long so around 2K riders an hour. Realistically you see it at the ~35 secs mark with 1,440 rides an hour, which isn't that bad. But there are a few days you see it around the 45-sec interval mark and you're looking at a rough 1K an hour.
So, is the main issue the loading portion, the unreliable drop tracks, or a combination of both?

Edit: thanks for the answer BTW!

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
So, is the main issue the loading portion, the unreliable drop tracks, or a combination of both?

Edit: thanks for the answer BTW!

There are so many potential faults in Hagrid (7 launches, 2 drop tracks, someone taking longer to get in/out, etc.) so if anything's off it causes a cascading effect throughout the ride.

Hard to describe, but highly recommend you play RideSim.com's Hagrid Motorbike simulator so you can see how a stop in the station can then cause a chain of events throughout the ride. Hagrid could theoretically run 10-12 trains in an ideal scenario... but realistically they're running 8 nowadays to prevent cascading.

I wouldn't doubt they overestimated how quickly people would board the trains and be secured and ready to go without really having to had slow down the loading.

There are so many potential faults in Hagrid (7 launches, 2 drop tracks, someone taking longer to get in/out, etc.) so if anything's off it causes a cascading effect throughout the ride.

Hard to describe, but highly recommend you play RideSim.com's Hagrid Motorbike simulator so you can see how a stop in the station can then cause a chain of events throughout the ride. Hagrid could theoretically run 10-12 trains in an ideal scenario... but realistically they're running 8 nowadays to prevent cascading.
I’ll definitely check it out! I wonder what wait times would look like if they could run it at full capacity. Seems like we’ll never get to see it, as the issues causing the faults aren’t repairable

Following up: I was reading back in the Hagrid’s thread in the first month or so after it opened. Am I correct in that the main issue was coming from the “fins” on the track? If so, what exactly are the fins for on coasters like Hagrid’s?

Last edited:
I’ll definitely check it out! I wonder what wait times would look like if they could run it at full capacity. Seems like we’ll never get to see it, as the issues causing the faults aren’t repairable
Hard to say, what the impact would be wait-time wise, but assuming no changes in the way guests behave in a park, we're looking at 40-50 minutes worth of wait-time reduced if they were able to run it as designed intentionally. Those 10-15 seconds matter over time

Reactions: JohnHammondsCane
Hard to say, what the impact would be wait-time wise, but assuming no changes in the way guests behave in a park, we're looking at 40-50 minutes worth of wait-time reduced if they were able to run it as designed intentionally. Those 10-15 seconds matter over time
Man, it would be almost a walk on at certain parts of the day :eek:ops: seems like we have 8 running consistently now. Is the feeling that they’re content with that and given up on running more trains?

I wouldn't doubt they overestimated how quickly people would board the trains and be secured and ready to go without really having to had slow down the loading.
Yeah, I’ve road Hagrid’s plenty of times and rarely have I seen people loading without some type of issue (difficulty getting to the bike, person of size that didn’t do the test seat, people not paying attention, general mobility issues, etc. combine this with only one drop track consistently working and the capacity problems seem straightforward

I had no issues with Disaster being replaced. What I am saying is replacing BOTH disaster and Beetlejuice and ONLY getting a dud F&F was not great in the long run. It overall is a loss of capacity. Studios overall hasn't done well recently with the replacements and gaining capacity and then shuttering the large stadium doesn't help. If they had that at least for seasonal shows it would be way better. Do a summer type show and Christmas type show and I think it would help a ton with capacity. That is what Sea World does and it helps a ton in those seasons. They use the inside theater by Mako seasonally and take the Animal one and put two Christmas shows in there which means people can go back to the same theater twice in a day. They also use the theater by the water in busy seasons too and add a night show keeping people late spending more money at their holiday booths. It really does help spread the crowds on busy holiday season plus give more revenue with people making a longer day.

Back to Hagrid and IOA today both Hagrids and VC are both over 100. Flight is at 90. Losing LC reduced capacity that they do need in busy times. Both parks need more way to spread out crowds during their busiest times.
Well, Beetlejuice was hardly a people eater plus it had live performers which is $$$ every time there is a show. Plus the two attractions shared team members.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Man, it would be almost a walk on at certain parts of the day :eek:ops: seems like we have 8 running consistently now. Is the feeling that they’re content with that and given up on running more trains?

Yeah, I’ve road Hagrid’s plenty of times and rarely have I seen people loading without some type of issue (difficulty getting to the bike, person of size that didn’t do the test seat, people not paying attention, general mobility issues, etc. combine this with only one drop track consistently working and the capacity problems seem straightforward
I am not sure what math I am missing, but I haven't seen it below 90 minutes, so 90 - 50 is still 40 minutes. That isn't a walk on. However, I would absolutely love 40 as that would be reasonable and I would get to ride it lol. I was hoping yesterday with weather I would get a chance but it was 90+ all day until it got the delayed status. All other rides had started to plummet, but with it down we just left the park looking for another day to hopefully ride it.

Well, Beetlejuice was hardly a people eater plus it had live performers which is $$$ every time there is a show. Plus the two attractions shared team members.
I wasn't really talking money or maintenance or anything. Shear capacity wise taking down Disaster and Beetlejuice for just F&F was a capacity drop any way you try to put it. If they had used that land more wisely then they could have not reduced capacity. Both IOA and Studios have lost capacity over the last 7 years is my only point and with recent rumors they don't seem to have plans prior to 2030 to raise capacity in either park. If Epic causes more people to vacation (which I assume is what they want) and those people cause IOA and Studios crowds to increase, it is going to be an issue. You can say both those did not run at max capacity, but in the peak seasons they had lines/full theaters and it is those peak seasons where capacity is really needed.

I think everyone is missing my point. I had no issues with them replacing Beetlejuice and Disaster, but it was what they replaced it with. A ride that most people think is bad and doesn't replace the capacity in peak seasons.

Reactions: Mad Dog