Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dollywood!

^ i agree, and plus every time i ride slidewinder i always hope for some (bigger people) to ride with us, and dollywood will never get rid of mountain slidwinder to much of a classic ,i have so many memories riding this with my mamaw when i was little

Capture.PNG

Interesting Screamscape report (2012):

2012 - Possible New Coaster - Rumor Only - (11/15/10) The 2012 new coaster rumors for Dollywood are starting to kick in once again, this time claiming that the project, wherever it will go, may be big enough that they will have to break ground and in with serious construction on it by June or July 2011.
(10/27/10) Bad news time… as a trusted Screamscape source tells us with confidence that Dollywood is not in talks with S&S for anything other than the Barnstormer right now, so all those dreams of tasty S&S coaster projects (El Loco, PowderKeg, a 4th Dimension Coaster) you all have been dreaming about just went up in smoke… for now at least. Still… Dollywood is in need of a new coaster in the near future anyway so something has to be in the works with some one. Maybe the Premier Rides rumor will pan out…
(10/26/10) The latest Dollywood rumors suggest that the park is toying around with a couple of ideas for new coaster projects for 2012. Apparently they’ve asked S&S and Premier for a few different ideas for their next coaster, which to me says that they may be looking into something with a launch. Given the popularity of S&S’s PowderKeg at Silver Dollar City, it could be that Dollywood may be hoping to add a similar ride to their playbook. With all the focus going to the back end of the park for the last several years, I’m hearing that they are looking to breathe some new life into some of the more older areas that could use a little new traffic like near the train station, or in Jukebox Junction near the car ride, or perhaps along the hillside where the Mountain Slidewinder sits. Again, no plans are final yet… though I would suppose they would try to narrow it down very soon, perhaps at IAAPA in November.

I would imagine given the success of Thunderhead a new GCI project is a possibility but my guess is a themed B&M invert on the horizon.

They're actually a lot of fun. I'd rank SkyHawk at Cedar Point as the scariest thrill ride in the whole park.

Although, this is a smaller scale, but it's themed well. So...
deal-with-it.gif

Last edited:
From Screamscape:

2012 - Possible New Coaster - Rumor - (3/22/11) Dollywood seems to be planning something large for the 2012 season, and already has a meeting planned with the local government to talk about the new attraction on Tuesday at 3pm in City Hall. The only refer to it as “Dollywood Attraction 2010” and mention that three existing buildings will have to be relocated to make room for it. That said, this could mean it is a very large new coaster, or one going into a crowded area of the park. Given the early start on the project (which matches previous rumors), chances are that this the rumored new coaster plan for the park. They are also planning some kind of unique announcement for the project as well further down the line.

I wish I knew what three buildings they're talking about... I'm guessing it won't be on the new side of the park. This is slightly disappointing, because it probably means it won't be a roller coaster going into the woods. Booooooooo.

From Screamscape:

2012 - Possible New Coaster - Rumor - (3/25/11) Very little about the 2012 plans for Dollywood were discovered, but there were still some interesting new facts put out for the project, which was given unanimous approval. The project site was confirmed as being near the intersection of the Wilderness Path and Craftsman’s Valley, near the entrance to the Sky Zip. Most of the construction site will be “outside the public area”, with the plans showing that some excavation of the hillside below Sky Zip will be required to make room for the ride. According to the article, “It also depicts a lengthy and winding ride track, the relocation of a few buildings, and plans to construction a couple new ones.” All well and good… until this last bit of news which claims that at it’s highest point, the attraction will only stand 11 feet.
Yep… I’m confused… unless they are building some kind of alpine slide down the hillside that will hug the terrain. Matching up with this story is a new report from the park claimin that a new construction fence has been put up across from Adventure Mountain, blocking off the view of that entire hillside, which seems to lockdown the site.

http://themountainpress.com/view/fu...ddition-for-Dollywood-?instance=homethirdleft

Planners OK 2012 addition for Dollywood

PIGEON FORGE — There weren’t many details and there was no discussion as the Pigeon Forge Planning Commission voted unanimously Tuesday to approve the proposal for Dollywood’s 2012 addition.

Not even a name was assigned to the new ride, which one planning staffer has said looks in draft plans like some type of roller coaster, as it was presented to the group. Still, there was some additional information beyond what the site plans in the planning office provide revealed by the engineer who presented the proposal, which requires approval by the planning group as does most any addition to a property in the city.

Vision Engineering and Development Services staffer Guy Wantiez told the group it will be a large project near the intersection of the Wilderness Pass and Craftsman’s Valley areas, at the entrance of Sky Zip. Work is expected to begin even while the park is open for the season, which starts Friday.

“A large portion of that is located outside the public area, so we can get started on it early,” Wantiez said.

Typically work at the park has only been possible during the stretch from January to late March when it is closed.

The site plan approved by the group shows considerable excavation that will have to be done on the hill below the Sky Zip platforms to carve out a place for the ride. It also depicts a lengthy and winding ride track, the relocation of a few buildings, and plans to construct a couple new ones. One of those structures is being considered for a retail space, Wantiez said.

At its highest, the attraction will stand 11 feet. The project has already received approval for its stormwater impacts from state regulators, Wantiez said.

Outside that there weren’t many secrets given away about “Dollywood addition 2012,” as it has been billed in the plans. Park spokesman Pete Owens has said there will be some hype for the new ride starting perhaps as early as April. The full announcement, which Owens said will be unlike anything ever done to promote a planned theme park addition, is expected in the summer.

Dollywood already has the Dive type Coaster in Mystery MIne(such a fun ride) I believe that no B&M Dive Coasters can be built in the states for a number of years I think they signed kind of Deal with the Busch Parks when they built there Awesome Dive Machines.

A year or two back there was a rumor going around about a "moonshine-powered" launch coaster. If this thing stays low to the ground and uses the landscape to its advantage, it's totally plausible for a thrilling coaster to only reach 11 feet off the ground.

About the alpine slide idea... As much as I'd love one, I doubt Dollywood would take that kind of risk. Too many lawsuit possibilities.

Last edited:
The ride being 11 feet of the ground would work if it came up or off a Mountain..We shall see about low laying coasters when Cheetah Hunt opens. But I think you have to get more height to be a more exciting ride.