Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What do you shoot with?

Jul 9, 2010
Charleston, SC
Someone was asking about cameras in another thread so lets use this to list what we all use, both our cameras bodies and whats in our kits.

Camera: Nikon D7000

Lenses:
Primes-
Nikkor DX 35mm f/1.8G
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Zooms-
Nikkor DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED
Nikkor DX 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

Accessories:
3x Nikon EN-EL15 Batteries
3x 8GB High Speed SDHC Cards
MB-D11 Battery Grip
Pelican 1550 Case
SD Card Reader
Redrock Micro package with follow focus and matte box

Last edited:
Between me and my wife:

Nikon D80
Nikkor VR 18-55mm
Nikkor VR 55-200mm
Nikon SB800 flash

Nikon D80

Nikon 70-300 mm
Nikon 50mm Prime f/1.8
Soon-to-arrive Nikon 18-105 mm f/3.5

SD Reader, etc etc...

Sony DSC-S980 Cybershot

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
with:
Lumix G Vario 14-42mm
Lumix G Vario 45-200mm
and saving up for: Lumix G 20mm / F1.7

In terms of accessories, I have: a tripod, remote shutter release, a couple of filters, SD cards of varying quality/size and a bag to put it all in :thumbs:

And not forgetting my trusty little Nikon Coolpix S220.

I shoot with...

Bodies..
Canon EOS 350D - my first digital SLR. Did me fine for ages, but moved up to..
Canon EOS 50D. - cracking machine with 6.2fps it was great for the motorsport photography I was doing at the time.
Sorry, not sure what the US equivalent name is.

Lenses..
EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS L
EF 50mm f/1.4
All protected with HOYA UV filters

Accessories..
Canon Speedlite 430EX
Canon Battery grip BG-E2N
Canon RS60-E3 Cable release
Canon RS-80N3 Remote switch
Sandisk 512mb CF card
Sandisk Extreme III 1GB CF card
2 X Sandisk Extreme III 8GB CF cards
Sandisk Extreme IV 8GB CF card
Manfrotto Tri pod
Oh, and so many kit bags I'm getting grief from the Mrs about throwing some of them out.

Last edited:
Ghostrider, what do you think of your Tamron 17-50? I fancy getting myself a short zoom like that but Canon's 16-35 is just a silly price.

A.

Well boys, I did it. I got the D7000! Got to play around with it a lot today, but I still have much to learn...
Loving it so far though, here are some test shots from today:

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

Well boys, I did it. I got the D7000! Got to play around with it a lot today, but I still have much to learn...

I love mine. here are some tips. learn how to shoot in manual. NEVER shoot in auto. the reason isn't to be an elitist meanie. you should never let your camera make any decisions for you. you should be the one telling the camera what to do. and knowing your camera and how it operates results in better pictures. auto focus is fine if you are the one telling it where to focus (thats what the 39 AF points are for!). it can be more precise than your eye in most cases. shoot in RAW always. no exceptions. shooting in jpeg is like throwing away your negative after you get your pictures developed. and hard drives are cheaper than developing negative so dont complain about lack of space on your hard drive. BACKUP!

also http://froknowsphoto.com/ can teach you a lot.

also ONLY buy pro/high speed SD cards. (stick to known brands as well.) the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC cards are a perfect fit for this camera.
also stick to nikon glass. buying 3rd party/generic lenses can screw you over when you upgrade your camera. (unless you are buying zeiss glass)
on that note dont buy 3rd party batteries either. and buy a spare.

also the best accessories you can get will be:
the 35mm f/1.8 dx Nikon lens
(after that if you plan on upgrading to a fx sensor the cheaper 50mm f/1.8 is a good one to get in addition)
if you like to shoot in portrait and would like a heftier more substantial feeling. get the battery grip i love mine. its also good on trips to the park. you can keep two batteries in your camera and not carry a spare in your pocket. (also two SD cards will fit in the camera too.)
if you find yourself needing flash the SB 700 is great. don't use the on board flash. seriously.

feel free to ask me anything if you want too.

Last edited:
As soon as you started talking about the user making decisions rather than the camera, I thought of Fro Knows Foto :lol:
I got to use it a lot tonight after work at Margaritaville and I'm really impressed with the results. My only problem right now is that I can shoot in RAW, but I can't import it into iPhoto 09. Apparently I need to install Snow Leopard and it'll update the compatibility with iPhoto. I'm definitely going to have to upgrade my 8gb card, because right now I can't get more than 200 photos on it. (My photo settings are all set to the highest)