Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading

Feb 13, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Press Release

Already one of the most popular and innovative theme park attractions ever created, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man at Universal’s Islands of Adventure continues to raise the bar for theme park entertainment – combining advanced motion-based ride vehicles, 3-D digital film and live special effects to create an unparalleled ride experience. It is widely acknowledged as one of the best theme park experiences in the world – and it’s about to get mind-blowingly better.

The newly reanimated, high-definition experience will unfold within the attraction’s towering visual spaces – taking on even larger than larger-than-life proportions. The new digital animation – combined with the new Infitec system and new set enhancements – will transform what is already one of the most technologically advanced attractions ever created into what will feel like an all-new experience.

Facts about the enhanced ride experience:

• All-new digital animation done in 4K high definition – the highest HD resolution available
  • The new HD animation will allow guests to experience details they’ve never been able to before – from the flames spewing from Hobgoblin’s pumpkins to the electricity arching through Electro’s body to the stitching on Spider-Man’s gloves.
  • To take advantage of new HD clarity and detail, Universal Orlando is adding entirely new details to the film – and leaving it up to guests to find them.
“Guests will not believe their eyes when they experience the new Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man,” said Thierry Coup, senior vice president of the Universal Creative Studio. “We are talking about a larger-than-life environment and the HD animation will make it even more remarkable than it has been. It will seem brand-new.”

image_569_newspidey_high.jpg

(Moving comment here)

Anybody remember seeing that Travel Channel Secrets: Backstage at Universal Orlando episode ten years ago (it's on MouseBits if not)? How they had pressurized rooms to protect the film from dust. It's about time. Spidey was showing his age a bit, but this is just plain epic.

One teeny tiny concern though. I hope the animation isn't too real. Guests are "dropped into the pages of a comic book" (Scott Trowbridge). Things should look a little cartoony. I just don't want a realistic looking show to clash with the very cartoon-looking queue. Time will tell.

As stated hopefully nothing is lost with it. The effect if the scenes seemingly being an extention of that comic book world. I am sure it will be great and they thought all that through.

Also, don't want to lose the little details in the current film like the bumper ripping off of the Scoop as Doc Oct tries to hold you from flooring it in reverse. Very exciting stuff.

And here we all thought it was ONLY the HD projections in Spidey that are being installed now, but we also get a whole new video is fantastic news. And as Jungle said in the other thread, now its just a matter of time until the next round of announcements.

As it is right now even its pretty amazing. Just this last year alone they opened up an innovative E ticket with Forbidden Journey and an entire area revamped and so immersive. Then this year we get the announcement of a themed minature golf course going into City Walk and now official announcements on what will be here next year. A smaller ticket attraction and a plussed experience with Spidey.

Good times indeed.

I am very excited! Amazing move by Universal to keep the ride how it is. They know too that this ride is perfect the way it is, it just needed a upgrade.

As stated hopefully nothing is lost with it. The effect if the scenes seemingly being an extention of that comic book world. I am sure it will be great and they thought all that through.

Also, don't want to lose the little details in the current film like the bumper ripping off of the Scoop as Doc Oct tries to hold you from flooring it in reverse. Very exciting stuff.

Is that why Doc Ock falls back in that part??? I always thought it was because he lost his balance!! I can't believe I never noticed that before!!

There was a huge thread on why that happened on IOACENTRAL website back in the day. Yep. It is definitely a little detail. A member even wrote the CGI animation team about that scene in question and they confirmed after checking their storyboards and animation files that it is indeed because of the bumper rips off.

That is also why right after that and some further damage you hear "MY SCOOP, MY BEAUTIFUL SCOOP!" from JJ Jameson. Amazing details in that ride. Hopefully they go by the same sources and we don't lose that kind of thing.

I noticed that the bumper rips off, but not until about my fourth ride. Always heard JJJ say that but never made the connection with the bumper. Awesome.

I don't know about Doc Ock "losing his balance" though. I'm almost positive you can see Spidey web him out of there. That with the combination of the Scoop in reverse makes the bumper rip off.

It wasn't until about my sixth or seventh ride until I understood the part right after this scene. The weird wobbly part, but then I saw the arrow that read "To 12th St." (I think that's what it says) The Scoop goes up some stairs to "ground level."

I wonder if maybe they update the villains as well??

Keeping Doc Oc, Hob Goblin, and Elektro, but maybe brinigng Psychosis, Sandman, or even Lizard.

I wonder if maybe they update the villains as well??

Keeping Doc Oc, Hob Goblin, and Elektro, but maybe brinigng Psychosis, Sandman, or even Lizard.

I think we can just take the "reanimate" word literally, and accept that it is going to be a reanimation of what already exists, with some extra gems added in.