Behind The Scenes Tours | Inside Universal Forums

Behind The Scenes Tours

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sep 23, 2012
UK
Most of the parks have some kind of behind the scenes tour.

Thought we could have a thread with reports, pics recommendations etc for the tours available at the Florida parks.

Have you done Keys to the Kingdom at MK or Segways at Epcot or maybe you was trainer for the day at Discovery Cove.

If so let us know how it was, was it worth the money, would you do it again or what was the guide like any thing really, oh and don't forget to post some pics.

Hopefully we can build a data base of most if not all of the tours available at the Florida Parks.

So I will kick us off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BGT Behind The Scenes Montu Tour

Last August (2012) myself and my daughter did the behind the scenes Montu tour, I had booked on line months before and had really been looking forward to it.
DSC_2418.jpg

The tour cost $35 and was a guided tour that included a behind the scenes of the ride, a front of the line pass for front or back row and a fast pass for any other ride in the park.

When we turned up we were the only ones there so we had the tour to our selves, we were met by a lady (I forget her name and no pics, sorry) who was the ride manager and had been for years. She gave us a few facts and showed us the safety features in the station, we learned the international code for a coaster safe to go :thumbs:. We also got a look at the operating console, oh how I would have loved to have pressed that start button , but it wasn't to be :mean:

We were then met by a guy called Gabe. Gabe was to take over for the rest of the tour.

DSC_2430.jpg

Gabe, I wish I got his email as he was a great guy.

We followed Gabe down some stairs and into the maintenance shed, here we got to see the coaster stripped down to its bare bones. I am a huge coaster fan but especially love B&Ms so this was like heaven to me.

DSC_2419.jpg

Wheels and pins
DSC_2424.jpg

Montu's track layout diagram.
DSC_2425.jpg

We learned so much, I loved how they have a freezer to shrink the parts so they can fit them back in when putting the train back together, they are that precise. Gabe was a great guide but even better he was a fan too, we really hit it off talking about parks and coasters from all over the world. I told him about this site (OU) and WWofHP phase 2, he was amazed.

So after the maintenance shed we were let through the gates into the main ride area, we needed the manager to let us in as only she holds the key.

We were within feet of the ride track

DSC_2452.jpg

and you got a real rush when the trains went flying past.

DSC_2427.jpg

We were then allowed up the stairs near the brake run, from here the view was amazing

DSC_2445.jpg

You felt like you could touch the riders and the stairs would shake every time a train went by.

DSC_2448.jpg

We spent a good 30 mines up here chatting, I could have stayed all day. Gabe told us how when the ride first opened the bat wing element was so intense that riders would often need to be brought back round with smelling salts once back at the station. This was fixed with trims, sure enough you can feel these trims when you ride, they are just before you enter the bat wing. You can see where I mean in this pic.

DSC_2426.jpg

We then got to choose a front or back row ride. Back in the UK I get to ride Nemesis regularly and I cant decide if I like front left or back right the best , so I cheekily asked if we could try both, they let us :happy: Like Nemesis I couldn't decide which gave the better ride, both are good but for different reasons.

DSC_2433.jpg

After the ride we were given passes for front of the line on any ride in the park. So we bid good bye to Gabe and Montu......

DSC_2454.jpg

DSC_2455.jpg

And headed over to use our passes on cheetah hunt, the queue was 80mins and we went straight to the front, they never took the passes of us either. This happened twice, result. So we got Shiekra out of it too.

I thoroughly enjoyed this tour as did my daughter and would recommend it to anyone, although I did find out later they had introduced a similar tour with 5 coasters. I will do this one day. Gabe was fantastic and If any one reading works with or knows him please pass on my thanks.

So there you have it, hope you enjoyed reading and I look forward hearing all about the tours you have done:thumbs:

Last edited:
Reactions: Octobers Fade
Wow! That sounds like a fun tour to go on, must keep that in mind for this year's trip!

I've done the KTTK numerous times, probably at LEAST 5 or 6 times. I enjoy it that much, although I know almost everything on the tour, it's interesting to see how it's changed since 1998 (first time I went on it!) - it's got a lot more "generic"

I've also done the undiscovered future world tour... I think it was 2011... it may have been 2009 as it seems quite distant! Anyway. That was VERY cool, as we were a small group, we got to see behind the scenes of a lot of attractions and got "front doored" onto the best seats in Soarin'!

This year, I would quite like to do the "Backstage Magic" tour which encompasses all 4 WDW parks.

Does anyone know if they do any Backstage UO/IOA tours?

No problem Bob, it is a pleasure to share.

I would also like to know of any tours at Uni, I have never heard of any.

Last edited:
I'm fascinated on the behind the scene stuff![/QUOTE said:
Me too Im hoping others come forward with some more tours, Im fishing for ideas ready for next trip.

Last edited:
They let you into an active track area? :look:

That's kinda so absurdly dangerous I wouldn't be surprised if it is illegal.

They let you into an active track area? :look:

That's kinda so absurdly dangerous I wouldn't be surprised if it is illegal.

Quite safe, even though we were within the ride boundaries the track sections around us were fenced off.

Certainly not illegal.

Have yet to do the coaster one, I also want to do the Safari tour also, as well the Sea Lion one at SeaWorld.
I do however do the lights on tour for HHNs and last year did a VIP fo HOS.

Have yet to do the coaster one, I also want to do the Safari tour also, as well the Sea Lion one at SeaWorld.
I do however do the lights on tour for HHNs and last year did a VIP fo HOS.

I have photos from the giraffe tour I will do a report when I have more time, 3 years ago so will have to rack my brains for that one.

would like to know more about "lights on tour" and what is "HOS"? :inquisitive:

Last edited:
Thanks OF

Never been over for HHN, this will be my first year, can't wait.

Lights on tour is pretty obvious now :doh: good to see the pics though :thumbs:

Would you recommend HOS?

Thanks OF

Never been over for HHN, this will be my first year, can't wait.

Lights on tour is pretty obvious now :doh: good to see the pics though :thumbs:

Would you recommend HOS?

Yes!

Here are some pics from HauntCon 2010 (when it was in Orlando) that I did and it went to BGT for a one and only time, anyone will see HOS lights on.

Hauntcontours212.jpg

Hauntcontours199.jpg

The guy with his head turned is the creative director for HOS
Hauntcontours211.jpg

Hauntcontours242.jpg

Awesome report, roodlesnouter! :thumbs: I've always wanted to the coaster tours! Hopefully I'll get to do it this year.

The only behind-the-scenes tour I remember being on, is HHN's Unmasking the Horror Tour, back in 2010. It was great! We got to get some back story on HHN and then we toured a few of the houses with the lights on. Here's some pics from inside the houses. I think I might go again this year. I highly recommend it! :thumbs:

Last edited:
Awesome report, roodlesnouter! :thumbs: I've always wanted to the coaster tours! Hopefully I'll get to do it this year.

The only behind-the-scenes tour I remember being on, is HHN's Unmasking the Horror Tour, back in 2010. It was great! We got to get some back story on HHN and then we toured a few of the houses with the lights on. Here's some pics from inside the houses: http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Felipe89/HHN XX/UTH 10-03-10/?start=all I think I might go again this year. I highly recommend it!

Let me know if you do, I might join you :thumbs:

Thanks for the pics.