Tips Please | Inside Universal Forums

Tips Please

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 15, 2013
So my family and I are off to Orlando in around a month and whilst I am a huge coaster fan my Mom and Sister aren't so much.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips on how to convince them to ride the coasters. They are pretty comfortable with simulators and water rides but I would love them to experience rides like Hulk and HRRR.

Thanks in advance.

Xanex and or a little liquid courage does wonders. My best advice is start them with HRRR as its the least intense of the bunch and gauge how they felt about that. If they didn't like that then do not put them on the Hulk or Dragons.

Reactions: Hockeyman55
My advice is that you start them out with the Woody Woodpecker Nuthouse, then go to Mummy, then HRRR. If they're fine on all of them they should be good with the other coasters.

I was afraid of coasters too, well honestly I was just afraid of loops. I got over it by watching LOTS of Hulk and D.D POV's on YouTube. When I got to the parks, I went on Mummy a few times and then Everest and after those, I felt brave enough to try the Hulk and I loved it and now I'll go on any coaster. I don't know how much time you have at the parks, but telling them to get on and just close their eyes the whole time if they want to and then go on again the next day with their eyes open and that might help. The 2nd time is always easier, because you know that you survived it once so the fear is gone.

Nope, trick them into getting Shekra first! If they survive that they can do any coaster at Uni or Dis. :pound:

All kidding aside, IDK. One day my mom went with me on Tower of Terror, again IDK how but she was excited for it. After that... never again :stunned:

Back then I did not mind though, single rider line is great! Break off and schedule a time to meet, that is when I rode Hulk 16 times in a row cause single rider was sooooo quick.

Xanex and or a little liquid courage does wonders. My best advice is start them with HRRR as its the least intense of the bunch and gauge how they felt about that. If they didn't like that then do not put them on the Hulk or Dragons.

The vertical hill scares the poop out of me and I'm a huge coaster nerd, so maybe do something smaller?

The vertical hill scares the poop out of me and I'm a huge coaster nerd, so maybe do something smaller?

I really don't see how a kiddie coaster or one that's in the dark with a launch and special effects can be used to ease someone into rollercoasters when they don't like them in the first place :shrug:

- - - Updated - - -

Just throwing it out there I used to be afraid of coasters that went upside down, my first one to do so was Kumba.

I really don't see how a kiddie coaster or one that's in the dark with a launch and special effects can be used to ease someone into rollercoasters when they don't like them in the first place :shrug:

- - - Updated - - -

Just throwing it out there I used to be afraid of coasters that went upside down, my first one to do so was Kumba.

You try to ease their mind with the kiddie coaster hopping that will somehow get them over their fear

If everyone's advice does not work, look at the bright side: You can use single rider lines and skip a lot of the lines!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

We are staying at the Hard Rock so I believe we get express pass which will reduce queue times. Part of the problem last vacation was the long wait which increased the anxiety so express might help that.

Dueling Dragons is the LAST ride I would take them on. Hulk was my first steel inverted coaster the opening year, and I was terrified. Now hulk is like a carriage ride for me while dragons continues to terrify me... dangling feet, and lots of sensations of pulled out of the safety restraints.

Dueling Dragons is the LAST ride I would take them on. Hulk was my first steel inverted coaster the opening year, and I was terrified. Now hulk is like a carriage ride for me while dragons continues to terrify me... dangling feet, and lots of sensations of pulled out of the safety restraints.

Agreed. My dad can handle Hulk like a champ, but refuses to get near Dueling Dragons and Rockit after a few initial rides on each - keep in mind their fear may come partly from anticipation, so lift hills (especially Rockit's vertical one despite its speed) can really freak people out.

Personally I'd transition them from the small coasters (Hippogriff & Woody) to ROTM, then try Hulk. Hulk's launch and trains (where your feet are on the ground with very secure over the shoulder restraints) make people a lot more comfortable despite its greater perceived intensity than Rockit or DD.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

We are staying at the Hard Rock so I believe we get express pass which will reduce queue times. Part of the problem last vacation was the long wait which increased the anxiety so express might help that.

I always stay at the Hard Rock, great hotel and the Express is worth it and totally makes things easier. Like everyone else is saying, do DD last. I felt like Ice was less intense than Fire so if they are going to go on DD, go on Ice.

And yes, I still refer to them as Ice and Fire, because I refuse to use the Harry Potter names.

Go to the mummy first .
They can't see the coaster.
My son doesn't ride coasters but loves the mummy.
I am a coaster nerd .
My son has stepped thru(to wait in exit) more coasters than most people have ridden.
don't try to be pushy about it .Let them decide on their own.
My son is 18 and still won't ride coasters