Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What is your favorite on-site Universal hotel?

What is your favorite Universal on-site hotel?

• Total voters
Favorite is Hard Rock. The walk to the parks seems the shortest there, and nice clean rooms, and nice pool area with good bar, lol. I've actually stayed at 2 out of the 3 within the past month, haha. RPR, the rooms seem too cramped, like they're trying to put too much furniture into a room that's a bit too small. That 30 sqft less than HRH makes a difference in how the room feels. Also RPR elevator banks were constantly mobbed, maybe it's the greater number of rooms, but seemed busier than the other two. Also self parking across the street instead of next to the main building like the other two. Portofino, just too far from the parks to walk it, especially in the summer heat, so you're stuck with the boat only. And if you just miss it, or like me, they tell you it's too full, it's another 20 minute wait in the heat for the next one. This alone pretty much kills the Portofino for me. That being said, the resort is the best themed, very relaxing. The room is large, although doesn't seem any bigger because most of the extra is in that huge bathroom. A lot of wasted space in that bathroom, bad design there. Self parking is in a parking garage next to the building, with an elevator to the lobby, which is nice in the heat (although kind of dark and creepy at times).

The room is large, although doesn't seem any bigger because most of the extra is in that huge bathroom.

Not bad design, just not to your personal preference. Bathroom size comes up a lot on hotel customer surveys (usually in the form of "it was to small", or "the large bathroom is great"). Guests seem to love over sized bathrooms.

Not bad design, just not to your personal preference. Bathroom size comes up a lot on hotel customer surveys (usually in the form of "it was to small", or "the large bathroom is great"). Guests seem to love over sized bathrooms.

Well, I said that because, I myself love large bathrooms with some space. But this bathroom was just a large amount of wasted space with nothing in it. There's the tub along the wall against the rest of the room, then the sinks along the side wall, and then the toilet farther down the same wall. Which makes for this huge space against the other two walls with nothing there, there's room for a bed in this space, lol. Know what I'm sayin'? lol Could have been designed a lot better to make use of that space. It was almost as if they planned to put something there like maybe a walk in shower or something and then decided against it. Very odd.

Well, I said that because, I myself love large bathrooms with some space. But this bathroom was just a large amount of wasted space with nothing in it. There's the tub along the wall against the rest of the room, then the sinks along the side wall, and then the toilet farther down the same wall. Which makes for this huge space against the other two walls with nothing there, there's room for a bed in this space, lol. Know what I'm sayin'? lol Could have been designed a lot better to make use of that space. It was almost as if they planned to put something there like maybe a walk in shower or something and then decided against it. Very odd.

I know what your saying, I'm not a huge bathroom guy so I've made the same observation in the past. I just know the statistics are against me, plus I've heard positive feedback about their bathrooms.

We always stay at Hard Rock. We go so often we even got the same room one year. What are the odds. But we like it because it is close enough to walk. You can also walk at RP, but that last hill is brutal if you are pushing a stroller. You really cant go wrong with any of them though.

Just a word of advice, those who would like a shorter walk from Portofino to the parks can cross the street, and walk through the Hard Rock parking lot straight to where the path meets the entrance of Universal. It cuts off a lot of time, even if it is not a scenic as the walking path.

The bathroom in the room upgrade above standard has a shower stall in addition to the bathtub. When we've had family guests meet us in our rooms, the size of the bathrooms elicit a wow response. I've always told people the bathrooms are close to the size of a Motel 6 room. Thinking along your same lines....Nothing better than the Portofino though. Ambiance, beauty, amenities, restaurants, rooms, pools, the bay, all the piazza's, customer service, spa. Just FANTASTIC.

The bathroom in the room upgrade above standard has a shower stall in addition to the bathtub. When we've had family guests meet us in our rooms, the size of the bathrooms elicit a wow response. I've always told people the bathrooms are close to the size of a Motel 6 room. Thinking along your same lines....Nothing better than the Portofino though. Ambiance, beauty, amenities, restaurants, rooms, pools, the bay, all the piazza's, customer service, spa. Just FANTASTIC.

Oooh, ok, so like a deluxe room does have something there then. That makes more sense. I did have a bay view room though, but yes I think there's also like a deluxe room category. I do like the Portofino, just the walk to the parks kind of kills me wanting to stay there. How short does the shortcut through the Hard Rock parking lot make it? Tolerable then? lol

I'll be staying at the Portofino next week for a few days. Quite excited.
If you're there with your lady, make sure you catch the Italian singers on the bay piazza at dusk. They sing Italian ballads fom the lobby balcony overlooking the plaza. Have a glass of wine & enjoy the ambiance. Women love the romanticism of the moment.

If you're there with your lady, make sure you catch the Italian singers on the bay piazza at dusk. They sing Italian ballads fom the lobby balcony overlooking the plaza. Have a glass of wine & enjoy the ambiance. Women love the romanticism of the moment.

Way ahead of you, haha. I've been reading up on all the special events and nightly offerings at the hotel all night.

Should be a great couple of days.

Royal Pacific all the way. Stayed there twice, rooms are nicer than most Disney hotels, especially the beds. Walking distance is another plus.

Does anyone know the number of different types of rooms in each resort?

RPR has 1,000 rooms. About 952 of those are standard (335 sq ft). They have 8 kids' suites (670 sq ft), 28 king suites (770 sq ft), 10 hospitality suites (up to 1,340 sq ft), 2 "Captain's" presidential suites (up to 2,010 sq ft).

Can post Portofino's in a bit. Have no idea about Hard Rock.

RPR has 1,000 rooms. About 952 of those are standard (335 sq ft). They have 8 kids' suites (670 sq ft), 28 king suites (770 sq ft), 10 hospitality suites (up to 1,340 sq ft), 2 "Captain's" presidential suites (up to 2,010 sq ft).

Can post Portofino's in a bit. Have no idea about Hard Rock.

Thanks for the figures anyone out there have hard rocks?

Thanks for the figures anyone out there have hard rocks?

Here's what Orlando Informer lists, not sure if this list is accurate.

650 rooms.
41 standard.
346 garden view standard.
102 pool view standard.
16 deluxe king.
26 deluxe double queen.
86 club level standard.
12 all-American music themed kids suites.
10 king suites.
2 club level kids suites.
4 club level deluxe king.
2 club level king suites.
2 hospitality suites.
1 Graceland suite.