Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 126 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The games officially opened up today. Check out our twitter for photos..

BXxvZT7CQAEOqK2.jpg

BXxvpW4IMAAxhOm.jpg

BXxwAOhIEAAElTf.jpg

www.twitter.com/orlando_united

While I never bother with games, they are a HUGE money maker for any park and thus a necessary evil in the industry. Even Disney has games in DCA and DAK.

If you can get people to LITERALLY throw their money away on games, why not? If they are well themed (as these games and the Simpsons games seem to be), there's no harm done if you just walk by and ignore them.

As of right now, my favorite theme park of all time has three lands which hold carnival games.

Those Lost Continent games couldn't get destroyed soon enough. Oh, and can the Toon Lagoon games go too? Those looking freaking terrible.

Not a fan at all. Ew. Games are inescapable in this biz, but these add the wrong kind of kinetic energy to an otherwise dead area of the park. But I bet they make gobs and gobs of money (that Comcast stores next door in Gringotts), so win for them I guess.

Am I the only person who likes the so-called "dead areas"? I don't think so. People are commenting on the wonderful waterfront Toon Lagoon area being great and it is. If I want action and honky-tonk every 5 feet then I will go to Coney Island or The Jersey boardwalk. At least rural fairs have "dead zones" that include show farm animals and displays of farm pride, which I really really enjoy.

Reactions: Felipe
Am I the only person who likes the so-called "dead areas"? I don't think so. People are commenting on the wonderful waterfront Toon Lagoon area being great and it is. If I want action and honky-tonk every 5 feet then I will go to Coney Island or The Jersey boardwalk. At least rural fairs have "dead zones" that include show farm animals and displays of farm pride, which I really really enjoy.

Wholeheartedly agree. And Jurassic Park was, IMO, the area that benefitted the most from dead space. It helped the eerie jungle vibe. Jurassic Park is supposed to be a theme park, yes, but it's portrayed as an almost ominous place--I mean, there are man-eating dinosaurs roaming around lol. The games take away from the atmosphere the original IOA worked so hard to create, IMO. While there are food stands and hair braiding stations in the same area, they were generally quiet and simple. The games are brightly-colored and visually intrusive.

It's nice that they're themed the way they are and I know that games are necessary--normally I don't even mind them. But Jurassic Park was the wrong spot I think. They would've been much better suited in Seuss or Marvel if you ask me.

Dr. Hammond would have put these in his park to make more money for his research.

- - - Updated - - -

They're open now. They're not going anywhere. They add money to the park to bring us more attractions. Get over it!!!! It's not fun being a theme park purist snob anyway! lol. Jk!

Teebin, I am a huge fan of dead areas or "reset" zones. They allow the guest to have what amounts to a saltine cracker on the palate as they move through different areas. IOA was designed with them in mind, and it is disheartening to see some of them whittle away as a byproduct of all the wonderful growth we have been lucky to see. Even something as trivial as the area by the Gardens of Allah have been infilled by the visual pollution that was moved down to make way for Simpsons.

Worse yet, Disney, the folks who perfected the concept have utterly destroyed many transition areas such as by Haunted Mansion, the Adventureland courtyard, most of the lagoon coastline of World Showcase, most of the lagoon coastline of Seven Seas, the old swaths of planted areas in front of the Chinese Theater, the segway into Dinoland, etc.

Not trying to be picky, but it is a symptom of the modern day business requirement to justify a return on any capital spent towards a /SF basis, and to meet metrics on revenue on an onstage /SF basis.

On the Universal side, JP is probably the most abused area at this point, between ignoring sightline issues on the Wizarding World side, these games, the timeshare vendor, the rock wall climb, and the soon to be loss of acreage for a new land. JP was at its best when it did give off a more dense, sprawling vibe. These games further knock the whole dynamic out of scale.

It's nice that they're themed the way they are and I know that games are necessary--normally I don't even mind them. But Jurassic Park was the wrong spot I think. They would've been much better suited in Seuss or Marvel if you ask me.

Great point. Would be a great idea for a makeover on the TL games on the border of Marvel. If they had not added JP, each park would then have 1 area for games.

I am sure they have a logic behind the current move, perhaps the TL games are not long for the world and JP will be the only area with them. Not the best thing in the world, but not the worst outcome either.

Last edited:
I don't mind these in pictures. Haven't seen them in the park but hope there's little to no barking from the game handlers. Ugh. That just doesn't seem like Jurassic Park to me.

Otherwise, I love the new games at Simpsons. One of the game handlers was trying to get people to come over and was saying something like "I am awesome. Come see why. I can't believe you're all ignoring me right now. I can't believe this is happening." I thought it was funny and fit within the atmosphere. It's all in the context.

The only "dead zone" I am not a fan of is between Marvel and Toon.

Status
Not open for further replies.