Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 89 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Good catch Trigger. That is odd... Leicester Square doesn't have the circular windows on either street-side like Russel does:

Russell Square
616px-Russell_Square_Underground.jpg

and yet, the circular windows appear on this London recreation.

Last edited:
^^

Cheers Teebs.

I know that was my initial thought. However, I do like this particular look with the Victorian tiles (Stuart Craigs initial inspiration for the Ministry of Magic). I also agree with you about how ugly the Leicester Square station is in reality (the one in [real] London).

Andrew

Do you think something like this could be used to make the bricks Effect?

[video=youtube;NTNJ-bc2xIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTNJ-bc2xIA[/video]

Would be nice if they relocated Zonkos to where Ollivanders currently is, and make room for a very small, Hogsmeade-like tea shop... I think it could work well with Honeydukes next to it.

I love the new teaser ad. Saw it today on CBS. Cool that it doesn't even say "Diagon Alley". It should have average people/families all over the country saying, "What?", and I can imagine that is just what they want right now.

Thanks for the posting the above pictures!

That is amazing! I thought at first it was projection mapping, but then I read the description on the video.
This would be jaw-dropping if they accomplished something like this for Nine and Three Quarters.

That is amazing! I thought at first it was projection mapping, but then I read the description on the video.
This would be jaw-dropping if they accomplished something like this for Nine and Three Quarters.

would be cool.... but remember the idea is to remove the bricks as well. also you cant do it for every person, would take a lifetime

What's not being discussed is, if Zonko's were making money, there is now way Universal would close it. It was probably something that sounded like a good idea, but in practice it just didn't work out so well. Neat place to visit, but not enough people actually spending money in there.

I wasted money on some random knickknacks from Zonko's and I have no clue where those are right now. That's how much I cared about them. The merch there is not the most interesting or recognizable, well except for the Pygmy Puffs. I actually never bought one myself, but those are cool, though a bit too big. Actually, I think the extendable ears also looked huge and cheap. With Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes coming, they will take over that "type" of jokey merch, with probably new and improved products.

I don't know if any of you have been to the wb studio tour, but there they have an area set up with green screens for photos, they get you to put one of the school cloaks on and you get on a broom stick. They then do a little film with all different background ons the green screen and you can buy the pictures or DVD of it. My gf is a massive harry potter geek and iv never seen her smiling so much as when she was on the bloody broom stick lol. I think uni are missing a brilliant experience

You never know, that could still happen in Diagon Alley or in Zonko's if it gets switched out.

Said ramp:

DiagonAlley-011514-34.jpg

Any ideas what that interior ramp is for?

I'm going with Leaky Cauldron emergency exit.

First off, that's amazeballs! I think for a matter of efficiency and to have a smooth but constant flow of traffic (which there should be a LOT of traffic here) the entrance will not be opening and closing, but it might have some sort of magic touch like moving / spinning bricks. Or at least I hope so...

Do we know how they are going to achieve that tiled look? I presume they aren't using real tiles. Is it just a matter of paint, faux-grout lines, and a layer of shellac to give it that sheen?

That's my guess. You can actually see the fake grout lines, where each tile divides. It makes sense; it's probably safer, less expensive, and more durable to do a faux treatment than use real tiles.

I don't know if this has come up before, but I was just thinking...does anyone think that there will be some sort of tribute to Jaws in Diagon Alley? Universal does a good job referencing past attractions in the ones that replace them (Kong statue in Mummy, queue video with Doc in Simpsons) I'm intrigued if they will have some sort of reference to Jaws on the Gringotts ride or somewhere else in DA?

HTF said on twitter that Daniel Radcliffe "is in the attractions."

He didn't specifically say that he filmed new material, but I wouldn't think that they would recycle footage from the movies.

[video=youtube;XCfBvF6ZGT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCfBvF6ZGT8[/video]

Check it out at 3:44

I'm so curious about how they are going to do that brick effect because every teaser has it. In the new interactive quene for the haunted mansion, there is a bookcase that pops out books and you can actually push them back in. I'm sure Universal has something 100 times cooler than this but I thought of it when I saw this video.

Thanks for sharing Felipe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.