Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 199 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I appreciate the additional trees on the berm, I am surprised they are repeating the same tree after tree. They look more hedge like as they are planting them.

I think the key is to fill in the background, almost like a hedge. Then have more variety in the foreground. Just a guess though.

Actually, my understanding is that when they sold those packages they were actually expecting it to be open, not in softs. Softs are typically not announced to the public, just one day it is open and the next day it could be closed. This would happen all the way until the actual grand opening.

This is the case. The land was supposed to be open by the time the reservations came about. They missed their mark.

Was this mentioned already?

j3jaiWrONUNos.JPG

Park hours 8am-11pm work so well because lets say you want to be there when the park first opens at 8am. Most likely you'll be gone and tired by 4-5pm. Then for those that rather start later, can enter at 4pm and still have 7 hours to enjoy the parks.

or

you can hit the parks up at 8am, leave at 12 in the afternoon. Go to your onsite resort and maybe take a nap or a shower. Then go back around 7pm and enjoy the rest of the night.

This way there are more like two opening times and they spread crowds.

I don't usually agree with you, Mike, but you're 100% right about this.

-Andy

In terms of early closing, the original Wizarding World remained open up until 1 am for many nights during opening season, but the park was scheduled to close at 10 (11 sometimes to increase revenue in certain locations). Diagon Alley will not be closed at 10 pm, and we can all expect that.

In other news, I hope I can catch the lamppost installations soon on twitter, and then give you all detailed shots by Thursday/Friday.

In terms of early closing, the original Wizarding World remained open up until 1 am for many nights during opening season, but the park was scheduled to close at 10 (11 sometimes to increase revenue in certain locations). Diagon Alley will not be closed at 10 pm, and we can all expect that.

Yeah, I had been thinking that I recalled this, but it didn't sink in at the time enough for me to mention it confidently.

Do we have any actual Londoners that are members here? It would be cool if we could get you to run down to Westminster Bridge and measure the black lamp bases on the wall lamps. (I don't ask for much)

Otherwise, I will just call London public works.

Sorry forgot to post this before. Anyone thinking about tackling the crowds opening day?

I kinda want to, but I don't know if I'll be able to with work, since it'll probably be on a weekday. It should be insane with crowds... but it's a pretty special event, so if I have the chance, I might go for it.

Either way, I'm definitely gonna try to go during softs.

If we get an official opening day I could request it off work, but the lines and people may be too crazy. I plan on going ASAP but I don't want to be waiting in a line that stretches out to CityWalk.

Actually, my understanding is that when they sold those packages they were actually expecting it to be open, not in softs. Softs are typically not announced to the public, just one day it is open and the next day it could be closed. This would happen all the way until the actual grand opening.

I see. However, they definitely sold those packages way in advance and someone must have made a decision at some point at time that they would at the very least have soft openings going on for those guests if they weren't ready to officially open yet, which is exactly what happened. I was one of the people who purchased a WWOHP vacation package, and I went from being shocked and confused when they announced a grand opening date after my vacation dates to relieved and surprisingly pleased when I discovered that although WWOHP wouldn't be open all day, it would be open in the mornings to vacation package guests only. A few hours in a minimally crowded DA beats opening-day DA crowds hands down.

I would think they could fill their on-site hotels even before the grand opening if they began selling WWOHP-Diagon Alley packages that guaranteed guests would be able to visit DA at least a few hours each morning whether it was officially open or not. The only reason I can imagine they wouldn't start selling DA vacation packages is if there is some important aspect of DA (e.g. Gringotts, Hogwarts Express, or the new Ollivanders) that is so completely dysfunctional that they are completely unable at this point to predict even when it will be ready for partial-day soft openings.

Edit:
Either way, I would think a good way to avoid the opening day headaches they had for Hogsmeade's opening would be to announce a whole official opening week, with celebratory events that get better and more exciting as the week progresses. Monday: DA is open! Owl-balloons released at 8am and fireworks at closing! Tuesday: 100 Bronze Knut tickets for free Carkitt Market butterbeer distributed at random to guests in both parks, fireworks at closing. Wednesday: 100 Silver Sickle tickets for free icecream at Florean Fortescue's, fireworks at closing. Thursday: 100 Gold Galleon tickets for a free entree at the Leaky Cauldron, fireworks at closing. Friday: 30 deathly hallows tickets for a free interactive wand, appearances by Robbie Coltrane, Evanna Lynch, and James and Oliver Phelps at various locations throughout the parks, and yes, fireworks at closing. Or something like that.

Last edited:
We need to start a new chopper fund and get some good high resolution pictures one last time before before the opening. Maybe once the dragon goes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.