Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 399 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this may be my first post, but I've been an avid reader here since the construction of the original Wizarding World. Before this thread starts moving any faster I just wanted to break my silence to thank all those who have contributed construction photos, discussion, and most importantly insider information to this thread and many others; I absolutely love following projects like this, and when it comes to Universal no other site compares. A special thank you to hatetofly for the incredibly accurate information and wonderfully detailed posts he has generously dedicated so much time to. I've been reading here for WWoHP, Simpsons, Tramsformers, and Diagon Alley - and I look forward to following the construction of Jurassic Park, Kong, and whatever else the future may bring!

To contribute; I've been to DisneySea several times, and while I maintain that it is the best themed park, from the reports and pictures I've seen over the past few days I honestly think that Diagon Alley is going to take the title of best themed land worldwide. The sheer density of the theming seems almost incomprehensible, and I can't wait to see it for myself this November.

Maybe you're taking Mysterious Island for granted now hahahah :p Just bugging you.

Can anyone link the quote of him calling phase 2 back then? I'd like to read it and the responses. That ranks up there with the guy who called Martin Freeman as the Bilbo Baggins back in 2004:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0293509/board/nest/8439689?ref_=nm_bd_5

Well, initially back in '08, he brought it up in a forum called IOACentral which is no longer around. He links to it here, but unfortunately I don't think there is anywhere to pull the site up anymore: http://www.orlandounited.com/forums...rding-World-Of-Harry-Potter?p=24029#post24029

I also find this exchange funny considering the fact that I'm almost positive that I saw a picture of DisneyFanKevin/DisneyBoi1215 working the Hogwarts Express during the preview last night :lol: :http://www.orlandounited.com/forums...rding-World-Of-Harry-Potter?p=24138#post24138

The only thing I could possibly see happening is a couple of bricks spinning in a fixed location to make you think it just opened up, but in all honesty did you guys want bricks attached a sliding door like it was a Walmart?

You have to be practical with things :)
The designers told me they planned on moving bricks around the edges but Saftey & Legal nixed it as a climbing/finger pinching hazard. Blame stupid guests ;-)

Scotland already had powers devolved in 1998, I think you mean the independence vote :thumbs:

On that subject, do you think the HE will introduce a passport control check half way through the ride for even more authenticity if Scotland votes Yes? :sneaky:

Indeed, thanks for correcting me. I am a duffus sometimes :doh:

Last edited:
The designers told me they planned on moving bricks around the edges but Saftey & Legal nixed it as a climbing/finger pinching hazard. Blame stupid guests ;-)

Seeing as this is Universal...we could eventually see "plussing" for this effect later on...maybe a different way of doing it. They've had enough of difficulty with getting everything completed on-time...I'm willing to let this pass, as cool as it would be.

Maybe you're taking Mysterious Island for granted now hahahah :p Just bugging you.

I wish I was in a position to take it for granted! I'm from London so Tokyo is an even longer flight than Orlando; I'm just fortunate enough to have done a couple of trips to Japan, spending several days at Tokyo Disney each time. Mysterious Island is fantastic and the scale is incredible, but I feel that the sheer attention to detail that seems to have gone into Diagon Alley may just give it an edge.

I don't know their precise setup for this. In the old days it would have been done with a gradient smoked clear glass, the gradient being where one fades away. So yeah, a Peppers of sorts. Today they could probably do a live musion projection with a digital transparent gradient combined. In person, musion would look very flat to two eyes. If the old style, it would be quite deceptive because your two eyes would perceive the 3 dimensions a reflection provides.

If it does in fact work like that then prepare to have some really bright lights hitting you as you walk into the effect... otherwise, you would have a haunted mansion thing going on. Unless they used the special glass that has been suggested as being used Seas with Nemo. I guess it is ultra reflective or something.
Nothing digital, just a strategically placed piece of angled glass. Guests in queue see those ahead of them walk through the "wall" but it's just a hallway when you go through.

Is anyone else at least a little disappointed that their is only one ride in Diagon Alley?

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing as this is Universal...we could eventually see "plussing" for this effect later on...maybe a different way of doing it. They've had enough of difficulty with getting everything completed on-time...I'm willing to let this pass, as cool as it would be.

This is bull because disney has a bookcase at the Haunted Mansion line that pushes the books in and out.

Nothing digital, just a strategically placed piece of angled glass. Guests in queue see those ahead of them walk through the "wall" but it's just a hallway when you go through.

And just as important, a very black wall to your right as you walk through the light.

On another note, I have thoroughly enjoyed your tweets the past two days... very informative and fun. Too, as you are a member here, I am sure many of us were right beside you in spirit the whole time, rooting you on.

Reactions: Skubersky
On another note, I have thoroughly enjoyed your tweets the past two days... very informative and fun. Too, as you are a member here, I am sure many of us were right beside you in spirit the whole time, rooting you on.

Agreed, it's been an exciting few days, and great having a OU members view inside!

Is anyone else at least a little disappointed that their is only one ride in Diagon Alley?

- - - Updated - - -

When they built Hogsmeade they only built one ride, with this expansion they have built two rides. Since this is the second time working with the franchise I would normally expect less than the original, just an addition basically. With Diagon Alley however the net increase in area and attractions I think far surpasses the original project.

When they built Hogsmeade they only built one ride, with this expansion they have built two rides. Since this is the second time working with the franchise I would normally expect less than the original, just an addition basically. With Diagon Alley however the net increase in area and attractions I think far surpasses the original project.

My family thinks somethings is wrong with me. I've been talking about this for the past couple months.

With Hogsmead, you have 4 rides to choose from. In Diagon Alley, their is 1 and in London, you can consider 2. However, I feel like in the land, D.A itself, their should've been at least one more ride. Obviously, we all are kinda obsessed and will explore the shops but for the majority, they'll probably walk in and out in just 2 min. Once they ride G.B, there is no other ride. They will have to ride the H.E and leave the park.

TAKE OUT FEAR FACTOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is bull because disney has a bookcase at the Haunted Mansion line that pushes the books in and out.

But you can't walk up to the bookcases and stick your fingers around the books, if they have bricks moving low enough to simulate the affect, then its a hazard.

I think they couldve hace some spinning bricks closer to the top of the opening to simulate an opening, but for people to seriously have ANY complain about this area is baffling to me.

And if you go back to those old conversations, its funny how much people were adamant that Jaws would be around, I think I was in the camp of that Diagon would go in the empty land behind JP and keep it all in one park.

But you can't walk up to the bookcases and stick your fingers around the books, if they have bricks moving low enough to simulate the affect, then its a hazard.

I think they couldve hace some spinning bricks closer to the top of the opening to simulate an opening, but for people to seriously have ANY complain about this area is baffling to me.

And if you go back to those old conversations, its funny how much people were adamant that Jaws would be around, I think I was in the camp of that Diagon would go in the empty land behind JP and keep it all in one park.

Your actually supposed to push in the books. Its part of the interactive line.

My family thinks somethings is wrong with me. I've been talking about this for the past couple months.

With Hogsmead, you have 4 rides to choose from. In Diagon Alley, their is 1 and in London, you can consider 2. However, I feel like in the land, D.A itself, their should've been at least one more ride. Obviously, we all are kinda obsessed and will explore the shops but for the majority, they'll probably walk in and out in just 2 min. Once they ride G.B, there is no other ride. They will have to ride the H.E and leave the park.

TAKE OUT FEAR FACTOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you count each coaster track as a ride then yes you have 4. But with Diagon you have an UBER ride with GG, the HE now, and some incredibly and more highly themed stores and restaurants as well as more detailed streetmosphere.

Not worth complaining about, we lost 1 ride in Jaws and gained an entirely new themed land with 2 new rides, restaurants and store... I'll :cheers: to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Your actually supposed to push in the books. Its part of the interactive line.

Oh youre talking about the queue area, gotcha...well its a game and its understood to be that, on the wall it wouldn't be a game.

Universal's new Harry Potter park: 1 ride, 7 shops

This is yahoo's new story on their page...

:shrug:

Horrible article

Last edited:
Just like with phase one, lots of headlines are wrong. If I had a dime for each time I saw "New Harry Potter Theme Park" or something like that, I could afford the Graceland Suite at the Hard Rock.

Though, that headline is extremely misleading because not only does it seem like it's its own theme park, but a lackluster one at that.

...So Platform 9 3/4 is just a hallway when you run through it? That is incredibly disappointing to me. I was convinced it looked as real when you walked through as it does in the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.