2016 BGT Coaster Confirmed | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

2016 BGT Coaster Confirmed

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in BGT on Wednesday. Nothing going on in Egypt, but there are construction walls in the Gardens, from the little I could see at the other side, it is all dirt for now but some parts of the plot were partitioned of with yellow tape, I saw a few small squares like that, could be an indication for coaster support as the area would be big enough for one of those small premier rides coasters, or of course it could just be for utilities or something else.

Could just be landscaping, or is it where the Critter Castaways used to be?

So, Busch Gardens filed drainage plans with the Tampa Gov't earlier this week showing off the proposed improvements for the 2016 attraction that's going into the former Tut's Tomb building/surrounding Egypt area.

Unfortunately, since these are only drainage plans, the attraction itself is not represented anywhere on them. However, it does give you a good idea of what the area will look like, and it strongly suggests that the addition is going to be a coaster, perhaps even with an indoor/dark ride element.

Here's a full image of the plan:

Click for full size...

To help visualize what's going on, I made this crude overlay:

Basically, they're expanding the Tut's Tomb building by roughly 11,600 square feet, re-routing the railroad tracks, adding three new trenches, and a nice new path. I attempted to show depth in the trenches by using darker greens the deeper they got, so that's what that mess represents. I'd imagine the trenches will be for the new coaster track, a la Cheetah Hunt... one trench even dives under the re-routed railroad. Also, not pictured on my overlay, but visible on the plans if you take a closer look, are several maintenance stair locations. I'd assume those would be for easy access to elevated portions of the track. The entire project covers 2.65 acres, and there seems to be plenty of room for a nice coaster section on the far side of the new path. Here's the official description of the project from the permit:

On behalf of our client, Sea World Parks and Entertainment LLC, this is to request for Environmental
Resource Permit Modification for the BGT- 2016 Attraction. The 2.65 acre project area is located
within the Egypt attraction area of the Bush Gardens Tampa theme park. This 149.79 acre theme park
is bound to the north by Bougainvillea Ave., east by N. McKinley Dr. (40th St), south by E. Busch
Blvd., and west by N. 30th St.

The proposed project calls for the removal of approx. 28,349 s.f. of existing concrete paving and the
expansion of the existing museum building by approx. 11,605 s.f.. The project also proposes the
construction of approx. 40,751 s.f. of new concrete walk and trench area. This results in an
approximate 12,402 s.f. impervious area increase from the existing condition.

Finally, here's a link to the project:
http://www18.swfwmd.state.fl.us/ERP/ERP/Entry/ERP.aspx?id=708029

Last edited:
Reactions: The Legend
Great find, thanks for sharing! Looks like an ideal location for a small to medium sized family coaster. Still calling Mack spinner on this...

Superman-Ultimate-Flight-Six-Flags-Discovery-Kingdom-1024x819.jpg

Well... I can't say I understand what most of those other image replies mean, but I can pretty confidently say that this won't be a clone of SFDK's Superman: Ultimate Flight/BGW's "Tempesto", if that's what you're implying. If you look at the drainage plans, you'll notice the several sets of maintenance stairs I mentioned earlier... these indicate this new attraction will have an actual layout, and not be confined to just vertical space like the previously mentioned attractions. Also the addition of the trenches, which wouldn't be needed for those simple Premier shuttle coasters.

I'm assuming HTF's image is saying the attraction will have a cobra/snake theme, which would definitely fit in well with the Egypt area/Egyptian mythology.

Egypt theme dark ride, probably made by Oceaneering?

If they do go for a smaller coaster, I'd rather have an inverted launched shuttle coaster.

- - - Updated - - -

Egypt theme dark ride, probably made by Oceaneering?

If they do go for a smaller coaster, I'd rather have an inverted launched shuttle coaster.

I wouldn't be surprised if this 2016 attraction rolls over into 2017, especially if a certain company is building the ride...

Why? Is that the same company that HTF rumored? What is the history of that group?

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't be surprised if this 2016 attraction rolls over into 2017, especially if a certain company is building the ride...

Why? Is that the same company that HTF rumored? What is the history of that group?

Status
Not open for further replies.