Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, hardly scientific, but I grabbed a possible 6' person off the bridge on the left and added 2/3 of their height to them for 10' and then piled them up, keeping them on the same ground plane. The plane is way forward of the center of the volcano which gives me an inaccurate number unless I assume they are 75'-100' away from center. Way forward, I came up with roughly 150'. This means the volcano is taller than that.

Guessing such an angle of height that would create is sorta messy but I believe it would still be under or close to 200'.

I hope a few of you can follow my logic here. :)

VB_height_ex_zpsnkap66lv.jpg

Oh, and the guy I circled in the wave pool looked like the Pope in full garb to me... had to point that out.
The Pope. Well, it looks like Teebin's getting some really high level sources for his information. Reach for the heavens Teebs....:clap:

Reactions: anihilnation
Minor clarification:

Turns out the tunnel under the road and the bus loop was only intended for main parking garage shuttle buses to the WP. The tunnel was also intended for pedestrians. There was a smaller bus loop on the opposite side of the road at the entrance that was intended for resort and group buses and taxis. Cabana is going to have one very busy entrance/exit.

The reason I say was is because these are hand scratched plans from Dec 2014 drawn over existing engineering plans.

I just visited Water World in Colorado, and boy oh boy do they have a few awesome attractions! There's Lost River of the Pharoahs and Voyage to the Center of the Earth...both are like actual dark rides with animatronics, sound, and lighting effects. I truly hope Universal goes this route with a few of their rides. It's so rare in the Waterpark industry.

I hope a group of you are keeping a camera eye on this project. After thinking about it, I believe some massive pump systems will have to be lowered into the current basement level of the volcano. I am expecting some of them will be so large that they must be lowered into place before it is sealed off.

Now this is just an assumption on my part, and perhaps I have watched to many episodes of "Build it Bigger". But something tells me I am right.

So there is a possibility this pump will be so big it has to be installed before the final construction pieces are in? How would they handle maintenance and/or possible replacement if something doesn't work or breaks?

That could be troublesome given another park that had a similar issue with something being so big it had to be built into the structure.

So there is a possibility this pump will be so big it has to be installed before the final construction pieces are in? How would they handle maintenance and/or possible replacement if something doesn't work or breaks?

The same way they handle things on an aircraft carrier or nuclear submarine. And this will not be dealing with salt water!

I would expect that whatever is installed will have to be hyper reliable. It may need fixing, but it can never be replaced.

That could be troublesome given another park that had a similar issue with something being so big it had to be built into the structure.

I don't really know much about pumps but maybe these pumps have have access to where if something does go wrong they can get into and swap out parts an pieces . I deal with a lot of valve that are like that where its pretty easy to rebuild the whole interior if something goes wrong. Now if the body gets cracked then they are :bonk: Hopefully they have a backup just in case.

With a 200 ft structure already in place, I wonder if they would use the water tower method for this project? Then all they have to do is pump the water to the top of the volcano and the reservoir there would supply water pressure to the rest of the park.

Reactions: Knothead
I don't really know much about pumps but maybe these pumps have have access to where if something does go wrong they can get into and swap out parts an pieces . I deal with a lot of valve that are like that where its pretty easy to rebuild the whole interior if something goes wrong. Now if the body gets cracked then they are :bonk: Hopefully they have a backup just in case.

Perhaps I have over thought it... but I am thinking 12-16 inch steel mains and filters. I am even open to the possibility that this area might handle the systems (pumps, filtration, pressure) for the entire park.

With a 200 ft structure already in place, I wonder if they would use the water tower method for this project? Then all they have to do is pump the water to the top of the volcano and the reservoir there would supply water pressure to the rest of the park.

That would be interesting, but I think the outgo would overwhelm the fill speed of a tank. Interesting thought though. Anything is possible!

Perhaps I have over thought it... but I am thinking 12-16 inch steel mains and filters. I am even open to the possibility that this area might handle the systems (pumps, filtration, pressure) for the entire park.

I can tell you what the pipe is for water services and sewer services but not sure what is used once the water is run to the point of service. Im clueless how things tie in together with a waterpark :lol:

Yeah, these are the systems that have come to mind...

temp_sw_zpsoe8mmfpa.jpg

temp_ak_zpsoumdclei.jpg

Now the Seaworld filter systems may be a bit of overkill, but we all know what people will do in the wave pool and lazy rivers. It will be toilet water by the time it reaches the filters. :stun:

Last edited:
Minor clarification:

Turns out the tunnel under the road and the bus loop was only intended for main parking garage shuttle buses to the WP. The tunnel was also intended for pedestrians. There was a smaller bus loop on the opposite side of the road at the entrance that was intended for resort and group buses and taxis. Cabana is going to have one very busy entrance/exit.

The reason I say was is because these are hand scratched plans from Dec 2014 drawn over existing engineering plans.

I am actually 100% baffled on the parking situation going forward... This sort of helps paint a picture...

Ok, so yeah, I sit on stuff while I think about it and get my thoughts together. Some of the most seemingly simple things can twist me in knots.

So, parking for VB. As of last December, parking was planned to be on level one of the south parking garage. The buses would then leave, turning onto a new custom road running parallel to the Kirkman extension or Kirkman extension itself and then turn off from this into the loop around the Sapphire retention pond to the underground dropoff.

Wild stuff huh. Keep your eyes peeled... I guess! :stun:

My only question is the pricing of the parking. I don't see how they can charge people $17 if they are parking for the water park, especially when Disney parking for water parks is free.

My only question is the pricing of the parking. I don't see how they can charge people $17 if they are parking for the water park, especially when Disney parking for water parks is free.

Edited my previous post out.

They will have to pay for their water park tickets prior to free parking. There will probably be a dedicated parking gate for this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.