Revenge of the Mummy Refurb? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy Refurb?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
ROTM definitely needs to be on Universal's list for a major refurb. I love this attraction to death, it's actually one of my favorite attractions of all time, but it's just gotten to the point where it's really rough and starting to lose its charm(the abrupt stops at the fake unload and beetle section are really starting to hurt now). Two things i would like to see right off the bat as improvements are to make the ride "dark" again, its gotten way too bright(the turntable section is a great example of this). Second.....STOP running the trains so freaking close to each other, this is one of my biggest pet peeves with this attraction right now. I don't want to be able to blatantly hear audio from the opening scene when i haven't even entered the treasure room yet, or see the fire from the treasure room when i haven't even turned on the turntable yet, in short...i don't want to be able to see or hear what the train behind me is doing, it completely kills my immersion and is very annoying. Fix those two things i mentioned, add some new AA's, redo some of the track and transport segments to make it smoother, and i will be one happy camper.

There were probably five or six times over the summer where my RV went through the treasure room scene a bit too quickly, and missed the large fire effects under the projection. Could that be attributed to the RVs being cycled too close together? Never happened to me until recently.

The jarring stops are really out of place compared to the buttery smooth coaster sections. Definitely wouldn't miss them if they were smoothed out.

Reactions: Clive
There were probably five or six times over the summer where my RV went through the treasure room scene a bit too quickly, and missed the large fire effects under the projection. Could that be attributed to the RVs being cycled too close together? Never happened to me until recently.

The jarring stops are really out of place compared to the buttery smooth coaster sections. Definitely wouldn't miss them if they were smoothed out.
I've never personally experienced my RV going through the treasure room too quickly, but i did see it happen in a POV video i watched recently, it was very odd. For some reason the "Audio" issue among other issues always happen to me whenever i ride ROTM and it happens way too often, i would be right about to enter the treasure room and i would hear "are you insane? get out of here! ect. in a really loud and noticeable volume and it drives me nuts. Part of me thinks its just for capacity reasons, to get as many people boarded and through the ride as quickly as possible(which could happen on busy days), but its still irritating nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: tankart150
From my observations the ride goes slower though the dark ride stuff when they are only running one station. My guess would be the car is going at the fast speed and the effects are going the slow speed. Got evaced off mummy last week and asked what stopped it but the lady that was helping us didn't know since she wasn't up in the control room.

Reactions: sierrak5
ROTM definitely needs to be on Universal's list for a major refurb. I love this attraction to death, it's actually one of my favorite attractions of all time, but it's just gotten to the point where it's really rough and starting to lose its charm(the abrupt stops at the fake unload and beetle section are really starting to hurt now). Two things i would like to see right off the bat as improvements are to make the ride "dark" again, its gotten way too bright(the turntable section is a great example of this). Second.....STOP running the trains so freaking close to each other, this is one of my biggest pet peeves with this attraction right now. I don't want to be able to blatantly hear audio from the opening scene when i haven't even entered the treasure room yet, or see the fire from the treasure room when i haven't even turned on the turntable yet, in short...i don't want to be able to see or hear what the train behind me is doing, it completely kills my immersion and is very annoying. Fix those two things i mentioned, add some new AA's, redo some of the track and transport segments to make it smoother, and i will be one happy camper.
Don't forget updated projection effects, on the scarab beetles in particular.

Reactions: anihilnation
It would be cool if they would replace the waiting area into a museum. One of the exhibits is a sacred tomb room (separate holding room) where you get a tour by an actor. During your stay in the room it gets haunted (special effects) and curses the tomb room (with you in it) back into the caverns and tombs where the room was excavated. During this your tour guide gets captured by a mummy.
In the former fake exit room your tour guide's shadow can be seen (projection). He uncovers a document with a route outside the tomb, we just have to follow it with our mine train, a time vortex will bring us back to the museum. The mummy kills the guide and sends us off further onto the tomb.
What formerly was in the dark will now have more tombs and special effects, it ends in a time vortex tunnel that drops you of in the museum store.

Last edited:
The fake unload, is where, I don't recall?

Oh of course! I completely forgot the smashing of the control room window. :bang:

The beetle/water effect is off too. If you're sat front row, you only just feel a little drizzle before you're backwards into the turntable.

My wish would be to see a refurb that would bring it in line with the Singapore Mummy.

The major changes I would like to see:

1- switch the first Imhotep animatronic for the one in Singapore. Instead of the unreliable "break out of the tomb" animatronic, Singapore has Imhotep dressed in his tattered cloak and he simply spins around in a more natural way. He also moves a lot better.

2- The second turntable scene in Singapore has no screens. It is instead a beautiful classic dark ride scene using scrims to hide bones and skeletons in the wall. That wall tiles also illuminates as our car spins around.

3- Replace the final video with Imhotep stuck in his sarcophacus. When you stop in front, he says something mean (I rode 6 times in a day and heard 3 differents) and then you proceed to unload.

Just rode this again recently on a vacation trip....well, this attraction was really rough around the edges when i rode it. the jarring stops were much worse since i last rode it, the timing was off all 4 times i rode it( i was sped through the treasure room), and the lighting was stupidly bright to the point where i could see the track ahead of me a fair ways away. If the new mummy reboot is a success, then i hope they keep this attraction and give it the much needed refurbishment it deserves.

Last edited:
Rode it tonight. I concur about a good refurb. The timing was all off. We were through the first Mummy AA scene before Imotep came out of his sarcophagus. We got to watch the whole treasure scene reset. The turntable room looks like there are work lights on in there. The was a serious vibration at the beginning of the launch. Both break stops (scarab and false unload) were brutal. And we got to watch Brendon Frasier scream about his cup of coffee 3 times.

Rode in May this year, lights were on, ruined it for a first timer in our group. The lift hill struggled to push us halfway, then jolted and JUST pushed us over, no "Launch" as such.

Could it be the weigh stop after dispatch is not calculating correctly, and moving cars too fast/slow around the track?

And we got to watch Brendon Frasier scream about his cup of coffee 3 times.

This happened alot back in May. I don't know if it's when the pacing of load and unload changes, and they have too may cars on track