Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 88 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would hazard a guess and say this is just economics. I beams are cheaper than round tubes, but round tubes are better for longer columns as they aren't as effected by slenderness. I imagine there's a certain length of column where it's more economical to use tube supports, but if the support needs to be shorter than that it's worth just using I Beams.

I don't think it's economics. In the grand scheme of things, switching the support from a tube to a beam would be a tiny percentage of the total cost. As far as we can see, I think there's only 2, maybe 3 beams being used.

I don't think it's economics. In the grand scheme of things, switching the support from a tube to a beam would be a tiny percentage of the total cost. As far as we can see, I think there's only 2, maybe 3 beams being used.

I'm thinking it's because they know the stresses the original endured and its failure points. These are subsequently reinforced.

Also - on the water platform those are the beams the high reach has to get around for nightly inspection - no?

Maybe someone ran into them a few too many times.

I think this certainly reinforces that the coaster was in trouble with different/stronger supports and new foundations.

The irony is that I've always heard that Dragons was moreso a problem than Hulk. Both were pretty much welded back together nightly though.

If Dragons gets a rebuild I'd expect to see some major changes.

Reactions: Ryno27
The irony is that I've always heard that Dragons was moreso a problem than Hulk. Both were pretty much welded back together nightly though.

If Dragons gets a rebuild I'd expect to see some major changes.

I think it would just be sad to see it get a rebuild. As long as they're not dueling, it's just a permanent reminder of what a great coaster it once was.

I'm guessing they are going to be theming some of the supports, it guess would be much easier to add theming around these things than the circular tubes?

Wow, there are two i-beam supports! Picture from above tweet.

CdD7Ze9WoAE10-c.jpg

I must get to the bottom of what is going on here. I am just not sure how I am going to do it. :saywhat:

Reactions: Ryno27 and SkiBum
Wow, there are two i-beam supports! Picture from above tweet.

CdD7Ze9WoAE10-c.jpg

I must get to the bottom of what is going on here. I am just not sure how I am going to do it. :saywhat:
I'm still 99% sure this is just simple structural engineering economics. It's the job of a structural designer to make a structure as economical as possible and this is just one way of making the design that little bit more efficient. Yes it's only a negligible difference but in any project the best way of ensuring cost efficiency is making everything as efficient as possible.