E.T. Adventure General Discussion | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As I've said before, I have to think that if ET is legit closing; I would think that there'd be some meeting with Spielberg and Amblin for the sake of having ET leave USF.
I have no idea if the rumors are true about him blocking any attempt at tearing down the last ET ride, but it is his baby and he loves theme parks. I think they would have to offer him something, like a new ride or whatever to get him to agree...

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I have no idea if the rumors are true about him blocking any attempt at tearing down the last ET ride, but it is his baby and he loves theme parks. I think they would have to offer him something, like a new ride or whatever to get him to agree...

If I want to take a guess, I wouldn't be surprised on one of the things they'd be offering is some sort of film deal with his company; Amblin as that is also in a way, something he helped create.

The problem with losing E.T. for the next new thing is that it puts Universal one step back in fixing the issue that they've had for a few years: there's stuff for young kids and there's stuff for older kids/adults, but not so many things for families to do together.

I can assure you, if it ever happens, the solution will more than make up for the loss. It will REALLY make up for it. WAY!

I have recently found out more about what is going on.

I can assure you, if it ever happens, the solution will more than make up for the loss. It will REALLY make up for it. WAY!

I have recently found out more about what is going on.

And I take it as usual for this, you can't exactly say much until more comes out of it? Understandable; but it really is a fascinating topic now of ET going possibly..

ET the ride is safe for now. The biggest issue that could change that is when the time comes to completely overhaul it. The ride is old. The parts are obsolete. The RCS is ancient. The hardware is worn.

It could be that it gets to the stage where it isn't possible to "overhaul" it. Then the decision needs to be made to start from scratch again with the same experience but updated to today or to just move on.

So they'll just run it into the ground then?

I mean, it's pretty damn creaky already.
An interesting point.......ET is probably the most Disney like of all the Universal Orlando attractions... Now here's something that shows the different ways we look at things. At Universal ET is the oldest ride in the park, and we all look at it as an old ride. But, if ET was in either Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom, it would be one of the newest attractions/rides. And probably very few people would be saying it's time has come. It would, in reality, be one of the freshest experiences. Perception is a strange beast.

I completely disagree that E.T. would get higher praise if it was at Disney. It's entirely 1990s Universal, and does not have the level of detail and sophistication in its animatronics that all those classic Disney attractions do. It also has been barely touched since then.

Say what you will about Disney, but not only do they actively plus most of their E-Ticket lineups, but they stand the test of time because they were so well-made. The animatronics alone would embarrass WDI. It's very, very inconsistent. I think Universal could make the attraction worthy of that praise, but it's just not at that level at the moment.

I completely disagree that E.T. would get higher praise if it was at Disney. It's entirely 1990s Universal, and does not have the level of detail and sophistication in its animatronics that all those classic Disney attractions do. It also has been barely touched since then.

Say what you will about Disney, but not only do they actively plus most of their E-Ticket lineups, but they stand the test of time because they were so well-made. The animatronics alone would embarrass WDI. It's very, very inconsistent. I think Universal could make the attraction worthy of that praise, but it's just not at that level at the moment.
I take it you've never been on It's a Small World.
bmGC9lH.gif

Ah. So then I'm guessing you haven't been on Peter Pan, Ellen's Energy Adventure, parts of Great Movie Ride...

Two thoughts:
1. If they reposition the entrance and gift shop for ET, they could retheme the show building to be part of the entrance to Nintendoland. This would allow them to leave it as a stand-alone attraction and contribute to the theming of the new land.

2. If ET leaves, I think an Amblin Land would be a great land in the third park.

Ellen's AAs may not look like their respective people anymore, but they look more lifelike than anything on ET.
You have to be joking. I admit many of the classic Disney attractions get a pass due to their age but the final ET figure blows anything in Small World, Peter Pan or Ellen's Energy adventure away. I'm not saying they're spectacular figures but they are way beyond those. Not to mention each ride vehicle has a moving figure (although very simplistic), which is a pretty novel feature not found on many other attractions.