Nighttime Kilimanjaro Safari | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Nighttime Kilimanjaro Safari

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
They only updated to July 4th. The rumor is that the 4th holiday is their next target for rivers of lights and they probably don't want to update the hours or show times until they know whether they hit that target or not.

Not necessarily to do with the Safari, but the nighttime entertainment - according to the WDW website, starting May 27th (next Fri), DAK will be staying open until 11 PM daily until at least August.

Also - many animal biological changes are based on perception of change in length of day. Like, cats don't get their winter coats because it's cold. Getting cold coincides with the day's getting shorter and thus they molt and change to the heavier coat.

So it'll be interesting to see if the false sun changes things for the critters.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
And how long the longer hours last.
I have to think during peak seasons, these hours will become quite regular. I could see the hours going back down for a bit but coming back in November/December... only to go down again and go back up for Spring break/Pandora opening.

I love the later park hours, some of my best memories in the parks have been late at night, AK is stunning at night and MK til 3am was always a blast., World showcase should also open later than it does in my eyes. If they were to strip hours back down I would much prefer to see them open later and still close late.

There isn't a lot to do at Disney at night as it is so late night park hours are a winner in my eyes, you used to be able to hit a park late with EMH every night of the week, not so much nowadays, well not unless you pony up $150

Edit. Sounds like the $150 evening experience at MK may have been pulled,

Reactions: Mad Dog
I love the later park hours, some of my best memories in the parks have been late at night, AK is stunning at night and MK til 3am was always a blast., World showcase should also open later than it does in my eyes. If they were to strip hours back down I would much prefer to see them open later and still close late.

There isn't a lot to do at Disney at night as it is so late night park hours are a winner in my eyes, you used to be able to hit a park late with EMH every night of the week, not so much nowadays, well not unless you pony up $150

It wasn't popular and they still had EMH, they never got rid of them.

I 100% agree with every single aspect of that post. Right on. :thumbsup:

Reactions: UK-Trigg
Finally caught this last night--twice, back to back.

First was amazing. Saw over a dozen different animals, including a hippo walking around. Second was still enjoyable, but saw far less. It truly is luck of the draw. And if your night vision isn't great, YMMV.

The permanent sunset thing is random. Probably unnecessary.

Crowds were non-existent. I don't think either train I rode had a dozen people. Apparently Nomad Lounge has had a similar fate, CMs already looking to "do a Trader Sam's" and jump ship ASAP. Still have two months to turn it around, but as is, I think nighttime AK will be a one and done thing.

Reactions: Brian G.

First was amazing. Saw over a dozen different animals, including a hippo walking around. Second was still enjoyable, but saw far less. It truly is luck of the draw. And if your night vision isn't great, YMMV.

Crowds were non-existent. I don't think either train I rode had a dozen people. Apparently Nomad Lounge has had a similar fate, CMs already looking to "do a Trader Sam's" and jump ship ASAP. Still have two months to turn it around, but as is, I think nighttime AK will be a one and done thing.
So you're saying they're gonna spend $1B on Avatar and not keep the park open at night? I'd think not.

not even gonna wait until Avatar and ROL open to declare it over huh?

So you're saying they're gonna spend $1B on Avatar and not keep the park open at night? I'd think not.

not even gonna wait until Avatar and ROL open to declare it over huh?

Avatar is still a year or a little less away, and who knows when ROL happens. I've been to AK twice since they offered it, and while I love the offerings (except *fart noise* Jungle Book) it's been pretty tame with crowds.

As much as ROL looks great, I don't think it would have made a difference with crowds. There is still a nighttime show, and while it may not be as grand as ROL's plans, the GP are more often than not clueless of any differences - especially since Jungle Book is an "It" thing now.

Only thing that seems to get a wait is Safari, and that's around 45-60 min wait. Disney may ride this out for the Summer, but put it back on the shelf until Avatar is ready to go.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Avatar is still a year or a little less away, and who knows when ROL happens. I've been to AK twice since they offered it, and while I love the offerings (except *fart noise* Jungle Book) it's been pretty tame with crowds.

As much as ROL looks great, I don't think it would have made a difference with crowds. There is still a nighttime show, and while it may not be as grand as ROL's plans, the GP are more often than not clueless of any differences - especially since Jungle Book is an "It" thing now.

Only thing that seems to get a wait is Safari, and that's around 45-60 min wait. Disney may ride this out for the Summer, but put it back on the shelf until Avatar is ready to go.
I agree they may go back to shorter hours until Avatar (considering RoL isn't working), but to say "I think nighttime AK will be a one and done thing" is simply not true. I mean, Pandora is purposely being built for night.