The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm not sure what people were expecting from a show thrown together last minute though. This isn't to be an apologist for a bad show, but we've been down this road before with Disney rushed entertainment. It sucked when they did it a few years ago with Frozen, why are we suddenly surprised when it sucks again?

True. But if I'm an average guest, do I know that it was thrown together last minute? And should it even matter? If I'm taking the time out of my day and seeing a nighttime show I expect a quality product.

Reactions: IzzyB and Nick
Yeah, the show doesn't look good, which probably says a lot about Rivers of Light right there.
An while this is a "temporary" show, a more concerning thing is the permanent seating area which from various tweets and such look really cramped.

Yeah, the show doesn't look good, which probably says a lot about Rivers of Light right there.
An while this is a "temporary" show, a more concerning thing is the permanent seating area which from various tweets and such look really cramped.

It kind-of reminds me of Bill and Ted, for Hollywood when the seating was..well..cramped as hell.

The problem is they wasted a lot of space with the more themed seating closer to the lake. Just to be able to fit only 5K per show in, they had to switch to these cramped seats. It's really bad design.

I don't think this show being bad says anything about RoL per say though. RoL is their true nighttime show and it wasn't as good as they wanted. Tech issues are also a big thing with RoL. The floats are supposed to do complicated choreography and the tech hasn't been cooperating.

Reactions: IzzyB
I'd say the show is pretty predictable and disconnected from each element..Dance sequence, Water screen/Broken Sprinkler system, repeat..seriously what is up with those mist screens? I understand they are shooting from two different sides but that is the worst implementation I've ever seen..

Perhaps that is one reason Rivers of Light is being reworked

I planned on a lazy day today, but my brother wanted to go to the park. A mistake to say the least considering it heavily stormed for about an hour and the 9pm show got cancelled (I was handed 6 paper FPs for the show on my way in with everyone leaving lol).

My point for posting was, while not formally seeing the 10:30 show, we were in the general area and also rode E:E twice during the show. Based on what I saw last night, the projections looked much better. Now my eyes could be deceiving me, but it was something that stuck out.

Also, because of the rain, the wait times were non-existent all night. Whereas the average for KS last night was about 65 mins, tonight the average was about 25.

My point for posting was, while not formally seeing the 10:30 show, we were in the general area and also rode E:E twice during the show. Based on what I saw last night, the projections looked much better. Now my eyes could be deceiving me, but it was something that stuck out.

I wonder if the rain/humidity was a kind ally to the projections.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick
I wonder if the rain/humidity was a kind ally to the projections.
This is possible or the winds from the first few nights (even though they were fairly weak) could've messed with the visibility.

Either way though, this doesn't have me feeling great about RoL as those fountains are really the only part of JB used in RoL. So far, they seem to be pretty fickle. Then again, maybe this will give them the chance to work with the fountains so that visibility/clarity won't be an issue by the time RoL debuts.

How so? This show isn't much like what RoL is supposed to be at all. And for all the calls of characters supposedly being needed for a better show... well here's the characters/IP and reviews are in calling it crap.

Two reasons: one is the water screens, which are installed for RoL, not being very clear or good. Second, people hear about a new nighttime show in DAK and don't understand this is not Rivers of Light.

Reactions: Nick
Two reasons: one is the water screens, which are installed for RoL, not being very clear or good. Second, people hear about a new nighttime show in DAK and don't understand this is not Rivers of Light.
Yeah, I realized about the water screens being for RoL after I posted. As far as bad reputation though, if RoL is truly a great show, word will spread over time. Plus, Avatar is opening next year, so people aren't going to stop going to the park, and you know Disney will advertise the hell out of Avatar at night.

Reactions: IzzyB
It's rather amusing reading reports that the show is bad, but then pull the "But you should take into account it's temporary/was made in 40 days etc." card, some going to the point where they then give the show a higher rating because of that.

That kind of excuse doesn't hold whatsoever, this isn't some elementary school production where you go "Bless their little hearts" just for doing it no matter what the overall quality is. If you go see a movie in theaters/a Broadway show,/a Theme Park show, you go off what was presented in front of you. It doesn't matter if it was created in several years, or in a couple weeks...if it's bad, it's bad.

After all, you'd never hear anyone add "But you gotta' take into account they did the AP preview when they wern't ready, so that makes this show a 8/10." after they proclaimed Light Magic sucked.

I heard negative reviews from a few people that went this weekend. But... if this was slapped together quickly and is getting at best lukewarm reactions, why still push this as the anchor for DAK at Night? Complete with FastPass+ and dinner packages? That alone positions the show as something it's not.