Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nighttime at Animal Kingdom

Don't mistake me for comparing the quality of the shows. I was simply comparing their structure, which is very similar.
Oh no, that's why I didn't quote your post. I understood what you were saying completely. Just pointing out that a show may have similar lines but the content could be quite different, as it is in this case. :thumbsup:

The Tree of Life show looks excellent. They should just expand that timewise and use the River's amphitheater area for a daytime water show.
A daytime water show is almost impossible with the way they've set up the infrastructure. There's no in water fountains that can shoot water vertical like WoC. There's just the screens in the back, and for RoL, water screens in the Lotus Flower.

A daytime water show is almost impossible with the way they've set up the infrastructure. There's no in water fountains that can shoot water vertical like WoC. There's just the screens in the back, and for RoL, water screens in the Lotus Flower.
I was thinking more along the lines of a stunt show themed to AK.

I was thinking more along the lines of a stunt show themed to AK.
I mean that's technically possibly, but it's not happening :lol:

Just waiting for RoL to get it's act together. From what I heard, it still sounds like a mess. People saying it hasn't been able to get through a night of test runs yet without messing up/positioning being off. The problem now also is with DAK open until 11 now, they have less hours to test/adjust, meaning fixing problems could take longer.

I mean that's technically possibly, but it's not happening :lol:

Just waiting for RoL to get it's act together. From what I heard, it still sounds like a mess. People saying it hasn't been able to get through a night of test runs yet without messing up/positioning being off. The problem now also is with DAK open until 11 now, they have less hours to test/adjust, meaning fixing problems could take longer.
That Tree of Life show is so impressive, they probably should have initially just used that for the Main Night Show (Expanded, of course) and never put the darn amphitheater in that messed up some beautiful views of the park. This is all in hindsight, of course. :)

That Tree of Life show is so impressive, they probably should have initially just used that for the Main Night Show (Expanded, of course) and never put the darn amphitheater in that messed up some beautiful views of the park. This is all in hindsight, of course. :)
The ToL show is only 4-5 minutes. A real nighttime show along the river is an integral part of the parks late night appeal. Unfortunately, the "real" show hasn't arrived yet. Btw, the amphitheater looks great in person.

Also, what time did you ride Safari @BriMan? Those shots are great and the sunset doesn't look near as stupid as when I rode it (about 10:15).

The ToL show is only 4-5 minutes. A real nighttime show along the river is an integral part of the parks late night appeal. Unfortunately, the "real" show hasn't arrived yet. Btw, the amphitheater looks great in person.

Also, what time did you ride Safari @BriMan? Those shots are great and the sunset doesn't look near as stupid as when I rode it (about 10:15).

8:30ish, and thanks!

Also, just a FWIW: The May update for RoL that Disney said would happen... hasn't happened.

Also, just a FWIW: The May update for RoL that Disney said would happen... hasn't happened.
I kinda think that they consider them announcing the JB show as their "update".

At the same time, I don't think there's been a true update as they honestly don't know when it will open. Safer to just ride JB for time being than screw up on an opening again.

Such a shame that AK is getting so much bad press over it's new night time offerings, AK is my favorite Disney park and I was really hopeful that these new shows would give it the boost it deserves.

Guess these hopes can go on hold till ROL and avatar.

Such a shame that AK is getting so much bad press over it's new night time offerings, AK is my favorite Disney park and I was really hopeful that these new shows would give it the boost it deserves.

Guess these hopes can go on hold till ROL and avatar.
While some new offerings leave something to be desired, I don't think many will/have been leaving the park not having had a good time/fun night. Most people i've talked to seem to be of the opinion (including my personal opinion) that Tiffins/Nomad Lounge and Tree of Life Awakens are great addition and love the atmosphere of the park in general at night (personally, it's my favorite at night, but it definitely needs more rides).

I'll give JB another try around the time Frozen opens to see if they've improved the show at all, but unfortunately the show suffers in many areas. Safaris at night is actually getting more positive reviews than negative - I tend to lean positive on this. It does suffer from darkness issues after about 9:30 or so, but that's something that can be fixed. I found many animals to be much more active than during the day when I rode.

Once they figure out RoL and Pandora opens (which will undoubtedly be the star of the park at night), the park should get over the hurdle that they've hit here.

Last edited:
The good news is that people are checking out the new night offerings so hopefully they continue to do so to warrant the extended hours. I've only been able to check out DAK at night once in the 18 years it's been open.

So we headed out to AK last night to try the new offerings. Had an incredible meal at Tiffins (believe the hype!) but the rest was a disaster due to the constant rain. Got stuck on Kilamanjaro for 30+ minutes and everything else was closed/cancelled including the two performances of jungle book. I heard a TM say that more shows have been cancelled than performed so far. That's FL rain for ya!

So we headed out to AK last night to try the new offerings. Had an incredible meal at Tiffins (believe the hype!) but the rest was a disaster due to the constant rain. Got stuck on Kilamanjaro for 30+ minutes and everything else was closed/cancelled including the two performances of jungle book. I heard a TM say that more shows have been cancelled than performed so far. That's FL rain for ya!
It's been odd lately as it normally doesn't rain at night in FL. It's normally a midday thing.

The recent rain has pointed out many flaws in the attraction line-up though. Every actual "ride" has to close during lightning except for Dinosaur. Even after Pandora, the park still needs more.

It's been odd lately as it normally doesn't rain at night in FL. It's normally a midday thing.

The recent rain has pointed out many flaws in the attraction line-up though. Every actual "ride" has to close during lightning except for Dinosaur. Even after Pandora, the park still needs more.

Agreed, AK is always the worst park if it rains. You can't do much at all. And yes, the weather has been odd. Which is great for my daughter's swim lessons as she has been able to do them all when normally a bunch are cancelled. But not so great for night time at the parks.

If I'm on a wait times app, and your theme park doesn't even have an option to scroll, you need more attractions.