Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
It has been officially announced that Disney will be going to make a brand new Sequel/Reboot based on the iconic film, Mary Poppins.

The film will be directed by Rob Marshall (Chicago) and will star Emily Blunt (Sicario, Into The Woods, E.T.C.) as the iconic character of Mary Poppins with Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton, Moana, Cantina song from TFA) as a new character named Jack The Lamplighter, with the film releasing on Christmas Day, 2015.

Thoughts on Disney wanting to come back to the iconic character of Mary Poppins? Are you disappointed that Disney is making this film? Comment below!

I'm not how I feel about this being a sequel, but I think Blunt and Miranda are great picks for the leads. Marshall is also a proven director for musicals.

Walt himself wanted to make a sequel (Travers may have hated the movie... but she loved the money. She sold sequel and TV rights to Disney). Unfortunately, between winning the Academy Award and 'The Sound Of Music', Disney could no longer afford Julie Andrews and Disney was reluctant to make a sequel with someone else.

I just realized with this being a sequel, they are going to need new music. This is likely where Lin-Manuel does double duty and does the music for the movie as well as star in it.

The music is by the "Hairspray" team of Marc Shaiman and Scott Whitman
Ah, thanks. Hairspray is fine, not among my favorites, but hopefully they do a good job with it. Doing a sequel/reboot to a classic is always a bit daunting.

Ah, thanks. Hairspray is fine, not among my favorites, but hopefully they do a good job with it. Doing a sequel/reboot to a classic is always a bit daunting.

Don't hope for too much. They have SMASH! (NBC Show), Catch Me If You Can, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Hairspray as their credits working together. None of those are really wow in terms of music. Though I enjoyed Hairspray.

Just think, if PL Travers had her way, Bette Davis would have been Mary!!! And it would have been all old British vaudeville songs!!

Just think, if PL Travers had her way, Bette Davis would have been Mary!!! And it would have been all old British vaudeville songs!!
It would have been a howl if Bette Davis got the role, and played Mary Poppins like her character portrayal in Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte....But then, after seeing the Mrs. Banks movie, that may have been closer to the real Mary Poppins...Which then would've made Mary Poppins a natural for HHN. :lol:

I hated that teaser...

I think it looks promising, but I need another trailer before I decide if I like what their direction is for the new film.

At our watch party, the consensus when we all watched the actual teaser, was hoping that it can become as timeless to how the original was for a lot of us, while at the same time; improving on itself in the modern age of storytelling.

I want to see another trailer, as it does interest me to no end of how Marshall and Blunt will carry the film, as it has the chance to be practically perfect in every way.

I think it looks promising, but I need another trailer before I decide if I like what their direction is for the new film.

At our watch party, the consensus when we all watched the actual teaser, was hoping that it can become as timeless to how the original was for a lot of us, while at the same time; improving on itself in the modern age of storytelling.

I want to see another trailer, as it does interest me to no end of how Marshall and Blunt will carry the film, as it has the chance to be practically perfect in every way.

One its by Rob Marshall who gave us that visually great but tonally awful Into the Woods movie...

Two has anyone tried to rewatch the original Mary Poppins recently. The film makes no sense whatsoever....the characters and the decisions they make are way off base and totally not based in any sort of reality.

One its by Rob Marshall who gave us that visually great but tonally awful Into the Woods movie...

Two has anyone tried to rewatch the original Mary Poppins recently. The film makes no sense whatsoever....the characters and the decisions they make are way off base and totally not based in any sort of reality.

1. I don't judge the actions of a director by just one film, even though I do think Into the Woods was a bit weak.

2. I watched it around Christmas, and to be honest, not every film has to make sense. Sometimes, the best film doesn't have to be something with a message that symbolizes that films time, but it can be a film just to have fun with.