Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Wicked (2024 film)

May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
Finally after years of being in development, the gravity defying tale Wicked is coming to a big screen possibly near you!
The long-awaited “Wicked” movie adaptation will be released on Dec. 20, 2019, Universal annouced on Thursday.

Academy Award Nominated Director Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot, The Hours, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The Reader. Every film he has been nominated for an Oscar in the major categories) is directing the big-screen adaptation of the hit Broadway musical bestselling book and Marc Platt is producing. Both are producing the long-running stage show

The Tony Award-winning stage musical was adapted from Gregory Maguire’s bestselling novel “Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West” by book writer Winnie Holzman and Oscar-winning composer/lyricist Stephen Schwartz, who are also collaborating on the screenplay adaptation.

“Wicked” is produced on Broadway by Platt, Universal Stage Productions, the Araca Group, Jon B. Platt and David Stone.

The original Broadway production about the untold story of the Witches of Oz starred Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth. The show — now in its 13th year — has won three Tony Awards. It’s the 10th longest-running Broadway show of all time and has grossed more than $1 billion at the Broadway box office.

The play is an alternative telling of the 1939 classic movie “The Wizard of Oz,” which was based on L. Frank Baum’s 1900 story of the same name.

Universal’s “Mamma Mia” is the highest grossing Broadway musical-to-movie adaptation of all time. It earned $609.8 millkion worldwide in 2008.

‘Wicked’ Movie Release Date Set | Variety

I hope it's good, but tbh, i'm not a huge fan of the show, so, it may depend upon reviews if I see it in theaters or not.

Stephen Daldry is also a tony winning director for Billy Elliot which if you haven't seen is a phenomenal show which gives me hope as all his films are really good and his work on Broadway was also great.

The only thing right now that can screw this up is casting. I hope they don't cast Lea Michele.

I've seen this show at least 5 times and it really started my interest in Broadway shows. I got to see it with Idina and Kristin when it first debuted on Broadway back in '03. I can't wait for a film version.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just saw the Sweeny Todd movie, and while the production was very well done, the singing left a whole lot to be desired. Of course, I was comparing them to Angela, Len and Edmund Lyndeck. The most unique voices in the world and was Sondheim casting at its best.

Yeah, I just saw the Sweeney Todd movie, and while the production was very well done, the singing left a whole lot to be desired. Of course, I was comparing them to Angela, Len and Edmund Lyndeck. The most unique voices in the world and was Sondheim casting at its best.
The Sweeney Todd movie was so strange, that after I watched it, I couldn't make up my mind whether I liked it or hated it.

Why too old? It is Hollywood after all.

Glinda and Elphaba are essentially entering college and they can't pass for college age at all especially Kristin. I would have loved for them too but unfortunately they aren't a strong option.

It kind of is a discovering one's self/coming of age tale.

Personally, i'm looking more on an animated front opposed to the Liveaction (although, I don't think It stated whether or not it was Animated so who knows).

Doubt it's animated mainly due to that release date. Most musical/serious films that come out in December are poised in an attempt to get award nominations. With that director as well, I'm 100% sure they are trying to go for award nominations more so than box office acclaim just like they did with Les Miserables.

Awesome. Hope at least one of them matches the epicness of the musical's soundtrack.

I'm always a little alarmed when the studio announces a hard and fast release date when they haven't cast the film, started production or anything else yet. It just seems like putting the cart before the horse...

I'm always a little alarmed when the studio announces a hard and fast release date when they haven't cast the film, started production or anything else yet. It just seems like putting the cart before the horse...
Modern Hollywood requires staking the date they want their movie to come out on far in advance. They have their film slate planned and know that they want Wicked to be their 2019 Holiday release. It is still over 3 years away, which is more than enough time for the production to not be "rushed".

I love Wicked, and have seen both the Broadway and London productions, but I'm not convinced it'll translate to screen all that well. I think the energy and tone which have really come to define the show rely on an engagement with the audience which isn't entirely possible with film. We'll see.