Skull Island: Reign of Kong - Reviews, Photos, and Videos | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - Reviews, Photos, and Videos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Every time I look at the new skull island trailer I get a lil disappointed I mean I know the movie and the ride have nothing to do with eachother but dang they really could have did somthing even better , don't get me wrong it's not a bad ride but if you seen the trailer u would understand where I'm coming from
Well, it was originally supposed to, but then the movie changed from Universal to Warner Bros. leaving the ride in an awkward position a year into the actual construction.

We finally got our chance to experience Kong yesterday.

While we enjoyed the overall scope and reach of the ride, none of us could get our arms around how a hundred million dollar ride could be advertised as being open when it clearly still has catastrophic technical issues.

Those issues apparently were significant enough to bring the ride to a complete halt. We experienced a near three hour wait in blazing sun, a near fan-less queue, a witch which was mind numbingly loud & repetitive and an overall sense that Universal has missed the mark this time.

The combination of all the overarching negatives skewed our overall opinion of a pretty good ride in the dirt. Three "extended" delays combined with suffocating heat and humidity took away all the fun. So much so that my family compelled me to express our disappointment to guest relations.

Molly at guest relations listened to our tale of horror and offered us two fast normal passes each plus one special fast pass each for Gingotts or FJ. Didn't know those were even available but they were much appreciated. Point is, senior management has to solve this situation fast because Universal's good will is being chipped away unnecessarily.

I'm a Kong enthusiast so I would rate the ride as incomplete. That's as generous as I can be since we wasted an entire morning on a ride that isn't working correctly. Universal senior management should be held to a higher standard of conduct.

Rode Kong today, no issues at all while we were there. In fact the trucks were moving at a really steady pace, the line kept moving, and all elements were working. When a ride is brand new, even when its officially open, there are going to be issues that didn't show up during softs.

We finally got our chance to experience Kong yesterday.

While we enjoyed the overall scope and reach of the ride, none of us could get our arms around how a hundred million dollar ride could be advertised as being open when it clearly still has catastrophic technical issues.

Those issues apparently were significant enough to bring the ride to a complete halt. We experienced a near three hour wait in blazing sun, a near fan-less queue, a witch which was mind numbingly loud & repetitive and an overall sense that Universal has missed the mark this time.

The combination of all the overarching negatives skewed our overall opinion of a pretty good ride in the dirt. Three "extended" delays combined with suffocating heat and humidity took away all the fun. So much so that my family compelled me to express our disappointment to guest relations.

Molly at guest relations listened to our tale of horror and offered us two fast normal passes each plus one special fast pass each for Gingotts or FJ. Didn't know those were even available but they were much appreciated. Point is, senior management has to solve this situation fast because Universal's good will is being chipped away unnecessarily.

I'm a Kong enthusiast so I would rate the ride as incomplete. That's as generous as I can be since we wasted an entire morning on a ride that isn't working correctly. Universal senior management should be held to a higher standard of conduct.

Chalk it up to a bad experience. I agree, the queue could be cooler in temperature so I do hope they hear that criticism. Otherwise, there are thousands of people having a great experience riding it everyday. So yes it is open, no the issues aren't catastrophic (although they were for your family), and yes you should try riding it again, keeping in mind a brand new ride of this nature could experience technical difficulties. (See: Gringotts, Mine Train, Test Track, Rockit..)

Reactions: Mike S
We were able to ride for the first time Sunday and because of our early entry, we were able to start lining up on the Potter/Jurassic Park bridge at 7:25am. Around quarter of 8, we were allowed into the Kong queue and then into the indoor portion at 8:05. We were the second truck of the day and as soon as we got off, the ride broke down and the wait was 90 minutes. So, for those with early entry, ride Forbidden Journey a few times and then get in line for Kong and you should be one of the first on the ride.

As for the attraction itself, we loved it. The water effects, 3-D and AA's were all top notch. We only got to ride it once, but it's definitely in my top 3 at the resort with Forbidden Journey and Mummy.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Chalk it up to a bad experience. I agree, the queue could be cooler in temperature so I do hope they hear that criticism. Otherwise, there are thousands of people having a great experience riding it everyday. So yes it is open, no the issues aren't catastrophic (although they were for your family), and yes you should try riding it again, keeping in mind a brand new ride of this nature could experience technical difficulties. (See: Gringotts, Mine Train, Test Track, Rockit..)
All of EPCOT opening day,..... lol

There is a Kong A/C control in the Witch room I believe. I saw some misbehaved kids start playing with the buttons. Idk what temp they keep the queue at, I forgot.

One attraction that is way too cold indoors is Men in Black. Waiting in that single riders line is absolutely freezing.

Reactions: Frank Drackman
There is a Kong A/C control in the Witch room I believe. I saw some misbehaved kids start playing with the buttons. Idk what temp they keep the queue at, I forgot.

One attraction that is way too cold indoors is Men in Black. Waiting in that single riders line is absolutely freezing.

Walking into that hallway on a hot day is rather shocking, yet an odd blast of relief!

Reactions: Mike S and JoeCamel
I will never understand this... but since you are not alone in your thinking, I will just sigh... *s i g h*
As someone who just made their first trip to universal, riding everything for the first time, I felt FJ was my favorite also. I was not as impressed with Gringotts. I'd probably rank:
1. FJ
2. The Mummy
3. Spider Man
4. Kong
5. Transformers
6. Gringotts

The castle queue of course speaks for itself. And I just felt the balance of physical sets vs. screen usage was perfect on FJ. Not having to remember to take the 3D glasses on and off like Kong is a nice plus as well.

Doctor Doom is even colder than MIB

oop yeah, i forgot how cold DD's was. Also, yeah I agree that there really isn't such thing as "too cold" in the Florida heat, but generally I prefer mid-temp to cold.

And about Kong vs FJ, I'd rather take off my 3D glasses and experience the outdoor interaction than to keep them on and ride a ride without a clear plot whatsoever. Granted, King Kong does have a corrupt plot with Kate disappearing in the half-way point, it still has a plot. FJ has none. Like idek what the point of the ride is other than feeling like you're flying. I like both, but just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

There is no such thing as "too cold" air conditioning in the hot humid uncomfortable Florida afternoons. :)
So is that whole "don't set the thermostat lower than this temperature or you'll break the AC unit" warning they put in all the rental homes legit? Or just a way for owners to keep their energy costs down?

Reactions: Mad Dog
oop yeah, i forgot how cold DD's was. Also, yeah I agree that there really isn't such thing as "too cold" in the Florida heat, but generally I prefer mid-temp to cold.

And about Kong vs FJ, I'd rather take off my 3D glasses and experience the outdoor interaction than to keep them on and ride a ride without a clear plot whatsoever. Granted, King Kong does have a corrupt plot with Kate disappearing in the half-way point, it still has a plot. FJ has none. Like idek what the point of the ride is other than feeling like you're flying. I like both, but just wanted to put my 2 cents in.
I think the point is pretty much a "greatest hits" of the first few Potter books, giving you glimpses of a lot of the iconic settings/characters/creatures from the series. I would definitely think whether or not someone read and/or enjoyed the series would have an impact on how much they enjoy the attraction.

There is a plot, but I didn't know it until the second time I rode it. I don't even remember what it is. But I think the 3 main kids set it up when they are talking to you in the classroom portion of the queue.

I think the point is pretty much a "greatest hits" of the first few Potter books, giving you glimpses of a lot of the iconic settings/characters/creatures from the series. I would definitely think whether or not someone read and/or enjoyed the series would have an impact on how much they enjoy the attraction.

There is a plot, but I didn't know it until the second time I rode it. I don't even remember what it is. But I think the 3 main kids set it up when they are talking to you in the classroom portion of the queue.

In grade school I was a leader in the Potter club, and read every book/watched every movie, and at first I really liked it. Now as I reride, I get more and more confused with the plot. I still enjoy seeing it, but i wish there was a clearer plot, that's all.

The entertainment of the ride is what counts to me. I don't really even pay much attention to the story on any attraction. After all, you can't do much of a story, plot, character development etc. on a 3 to 6 minute thrill ride.

So is that whole "don't set the thermostat lower than this temperature or you'll break the AC unit" warning they put in all the rental homes legit? Or just a way for owners to keep their energy costs down?
Actually A/C units can "freeze up" and stop working. Ice forms on the condenser coils.