Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Silver Dollar City

Feb 27, 2010
Oviedo, FL
Rocky Mountain Coasters (the ones responsible for the massive Texas Giant conversion) is building their first coaster out of scratch next year (at Silver Dollar City). This will be the first wooden coaster to have a rolling inversion (double barrel roll):

2013 - The Outlaw - Under Construction - (8/1/12) An interesting e-mail came to me a bit ago containing a fascinating image which claims to be the layout artwork for The Outlaw coming to Silver Dollar City in 2013. The factoids on it claim the coaster will have an 81 degree first drop, the crazy near-inversion thing we’ve seen is called an Outside Banked Turn, but at the very end of the layout comes the icing on the cake… a true double barrel roll.

db_2013_outlaw_8001.jpg

The layout and the quote above is from Screamscape. This looks great (a bit short, but the drop looks nice)!

Here's the link to the Silver Dollar City 2013 page:

http://silverdollarcity2013.com/

Also, here's some construction pictures from SDCFans (from sawblade5):

http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=1853.msg43688#msg43688

The announcement will come on August 9th!

This is on another level and if pulled off correctly could catapult Rocky Mountain as a company to the top of hottest new manufacturer. This looks amazing so far!

The announcement has been made and the coaster's official name is Outlaw Run. Also, the website has been updated and is looking pretty nifty. (www.silverdollarcity2013.com)

[video=youtube;mRXif1MmMrk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRXif1MmMrk&feature=g-u-u[/video]

This is going to be one amazing woodie. :drool5:

Just looks epic! We should see a launched wooden coaster within 2-3 years if this goes over well IMO.

Outlaw Run opened last weekend (video from COASTERFORCE):

[video=youtube;wJ015rF7WRU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ015rF7WRU[/video]

Looks sick! Very sick! :yikes:

^ This is some kick ass stuff right here!! We are about 4 hours from SDC and will be checking this coaster out this year. We were so disappointed with our local SF to hear they are hyping up our new attraction this year....nothing like a 24 year-old headache-inducing Vekoma looper from Texas to get your juices flowing. We will be driving the RV down and doing some camping this summer....can't wait to check this out and get a good ride on Wildfire while I am at it. Oh, yeah....maybe Powder Keg, too. :cheers:

p.s. Coasters built on the hillsides of the Ozark Mountains is some seriously cool stuff. Pay attention to the video about the 24 - 30 second interval to get a perspective of where these coasters are placed. I highly recommend it if you get the chance.

Last edited:
Check out the terrain on Wildfire. Cool stuff, indeed. We gave our SP's up two years ago and went with Universal. Yeah...we know it's not UOR but it's still pretty cool stuff.

(From CoasterForce)

[video=youtube_share;MceVwWm8Opg]http://youtu.be/MceVwWm8Opg[/video]

Last edited:
Powder Keg.....first hill after launch can not even be explained (and the video doesn't do the view justice). Check out the view of Wildfire about the 1:52 mark. Location, location, location. Not to mention that the food at SDC ROCKS!(From CoasterForce)

[video=youtube_share;2N8RVMpGxzU]http://youtu.be/2N8RVMpGxzU[/video]

Last edited:
We are here at Branson and just got done with our first day at SDC and holy crap some awesome coasters here. We did outlaw twice, amazing!! Very freaky being in a wooden coaster and going upside down. My daughter got to go on a big steel coaster with powder keg and wow, a great one to start with. 42" height limit and really thrilling. Wish we had coasters with low height limits around us.

Gonna check out wild fire either tomorrow or the next day.

Oh, and my daughter said it was terrifying but wanted to go on again :)

Don't miss Thunderation, great Arrow mine train with a Killer helix.

I'm glad you are enjoying my 'home' park as I live about a 11/2 away. I'm sure you are seeing the earth work for the next big thing still unannounced.

When you ride Fire in the Hole tell me if you think the ride would be awesome with updated tech and a drop track at the bridge with. LUNCH into darkness.

Powerkeg was once half a water coaster btw.

Don't miss Thunderation, great Arrow mine train with a Killer helix.

I'm glad you are enjoying my 'home' park as I live about a 11/2 away. I'm sure you are seeing the earth work for the next big thing still unannounced.

When you ride Fire in the Hole tell me if you think the ride would be awesome with updated tech and a drop track at the bridge with. LUNCH into darkness.

Powerkeg was once half a water coaster btw.

Thunderation we have done twice. My daughter 4 times since we do child swap with my youngest. It is my daughter's favorite coaster.

Fire in the hole for sure needs updated tech and drop track. It was just OK to me and my daughter didn't like it at all and refuses to ride it again.

I am not even sure how powder keg could be half water coaster, but sounds interesting. My daughter was in line to go on it again tonight when lightning hit and the ride shut down. It was 9:10 and it never opened back up.

We have one more day. We are thinking skipping tomorrow to get the youngest a real nap and going Friday. Today we did the water park. It was ok. Not my favorite. Not sure I would go back unless both my kids were older. Did not like that you can't wear water shoes on the slides and none of those slides stood out to me as a must ride. We did not get to go on everything as my youngest was not tall enough. We ended up leaving around 4:30, going back to the hotel, cleaning up, and going to Silver Dollar.

Thunderation we have done twice. My daughter 4 times since we do child swap with my youngest. It is my daughter's favorite coaster.

Fire in the hole for sure needs updated tech and drop track. It was just OK to me and my daughter didn't like it at all and refuses to ride it again.

I am not even sure how powder keg could be half water coaster, but sounds interesting. My daughter was in line to go on it again tonight when lightning hit and the ride shut down. It was 9:10 and it never opened back up.

We have one more day. We are thinking skipping tomorrow to get the youngest a real nap and going Friday. Today we did the water park. It was ok. Not my favorite. Not sure I would go back unless both my kids were older. Did not like that you can't wear water shoes on the slides and none of those slides stood out to me as a must ride. We did not get to go on everything as my youngest was not tall enough. We ended up leaving around 4:30, going back to the hotel, cleaning up, and going to Silver Dollar.

The waterpark is a joke these days.

Silver Dollar City has less coasters than Dollywood because for a period of 4 years, it had to share the capital expenditure for Branson with Celebration City. If you don't know what Celebration City 2as, it was a second park right there in Town just off the strip. You'll see the bones of it now, they finally knocked OZ Cat down last spring. That was Branson's GCI woody when Dollywood got Thunderhead. SDC was to get a Gerstlauer Euro Fighter coaster like Mystery Mine as well. It too fell victim to the recession. The shot tower in Fireman's Landing come from CC. CC got closed down in 07 when the bottom fell out. If Herschend had not opened CC, SDC would have got the same amount of additions as Dollywood and be the equal in every way. You can compare the addition over the past 15 years and see that when you shift the CC ones to SDC instead.

Yes, Powerkeg was a water Coaster made by Preimer, it later got frankenstiened into a launch coaster by S&S. The mid course lift hill to the station is the old water coaster track. The last half of this video is Buzzsaw Falls. They were suppose to redo the water effects in old splashdown area but never did so.

Well we are on our way home. Really enjoyed Branson as a whole, but really liked Silver Dollar City.

My daughter rode Powderkeg 4 times and Thunderation 11 times. Loved the the ming of the park, the cave tours, the food, the demonstrations were really cool, and the other rides. There was things here and there I would improve, but overall it was cool.

We said this would be an every 5 year trip. But I think next time we would fly and not drive. The drive is a killer. I think next I want to try Pigeon Forge and do Dollywood.