Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

The first act of the play was amazing according to the people at the previews, the second act and ending wasn't.

This isn't coming to any theme park...its over 3 hours long even an abridged version wouldn't give it justice.

Honestly it was with a heavy heart that I put this book down and realized I didn't want it. At least, not like this. It certainly isn't Rowling's work and while I understand it is an adaptation, I truly thought she would do something more in line with the stories. With all her meticulous world building, this feels very out of touch with the stories. There are aspects of it I liked but as a massive fan, I really feel... Very strange about the play.

It may work on stage, the issue isn't how it's presented, it's the laughable plot. People who've read the books and read this, I think would understand what I mean. I want to see the play because I'm sure it feels a little better, but the contrived plot details are just... I'm sorry, they are ridiculous given the events that transpired in the original series. There are a few details they get right and some of the original story points are great, but without spoiling anything the plot twist at the end was just... I couldn't take it seriously.

We are very lucky and actually have tickets for the play, but not until April 2017. It's going to be a real test to stay spoiler free for that long in this day & age though! :ninja:

Moving this here as the discussion was derailing the DC thread.

That's the thing, if you don't want people to criticize your work of art, don't belittle it by releasing the script the day the show debuts. I would've far preferred she wait 5-8 years when most huge potter fans will have seen the play and then release a novelized version. It feels so cheap and basically like a pure money grab to just print up a bunch of scripts and call it "the 8th official book".
It is a money grab. Pure and simple. She liked the show creators' vision and liked that a new artistic avenue could be traveled down by presenting it as a stage play. That format is a highly regarded art form and is something few major IPs crossover into other than musicals.

But this method was immediately hit with criticism and backlash by the fandom that were enraged at the fact that "the eighth story" would be an exclusive experience. They felt that it was a horrible example of inequality favoring the more wealthy fans that could afford West End tickets as apposed to anyone that could afford a cinema ticket. Along with the play only showing in London.

To simultaneously placate the fandom while still getting their $$$, they publish a "rehearsal edition" of the script. Which they plan to do once more with the "final edition" of the Cursed Child script in early 2017.

Last edited:
Moving this here as the discussion was derailing the DC thread.

It is a money grab. Pure and simple. She liked the show creators' vision and liked that a new artistic avenue could be traveled down by presenting it as a stage play. That format is a highly regarded art form and is something few major IPs crossover into other than musicals.

But this method was immediately hit with criticism and backlash by the fandom thay were enraged at the fact that "the eighth story" would be an exclusive experience. They felt that it was a horrible example of inequality favoring the more wealthy fans that could afford West End tickets as apposed to anyone that could afford a cinema ticket. Along with the play only showing in London.

To simultaneously placate the fandom while still getting their $$$, they publish a "rehearsal edition" of the script. Which they plan to do once more with the "final edition" of Cursed Child script in early 2017.
That aside, I honestly don't mind that they created a stage version. It only seemed natural after Darren Criss created the HP Musical about 5 years ago that an official stage show be created. It's the money grabbing the buges me and as you mention, it wasn't even the final script. They saved that for a second wind of sales.

That aside, I honestly don't mind that they created a stage version. It only seemed natural after Darren Criss created the HP Musical about 5 years ago that an official stage show be created. It's the money grabbing the buges me and as you mention, it wasn't even the final script. They saved that for a second wind of sales.
Between releasing the Cursed Child script again next year and the DC films having "extended ultimate cuts" on Blu-ray to make up for theatrical versions, it is conspiracy theory level stuff that could wonder if WB just wants to force fans to double dip on their media to get twice the amount of their money.

:sneak: :shifty: :lol:

People are aware that they don't 'have' to buy or do anything that they disagree with... right?
This play is going to run for years and will almost certainly end up being performed in the US and other countries in time. I feel fortunate that I live in the UK and have an easier time than some to travel to it, but guess what? I sometimes get jealous of people who live in other countries who can see cool stuff there easier than I can! Also, I paid £15 per show (roughly $20) for my tickets, which I do not consider as outclassing the poor for 2 hours of high-quality entertainment.
People are spoilt and we live in the 'I WANT IT NOW' generation, where everyone feels entitled. Not a single person on this planet owes you anything, including artists of work you've previously enjoyed. If you're not happy with someone's current business or artistic decisions, make a conscious decision to just ignore it and move on with your life.
It's an absolute first-world problem that people are unhappy with a book being published in this world, that they can quite happily ignore if they wish.

People are aware that they don't 'have' to buy or do anything that they disagree with... right?
This play is going to run for years and will almost certainly end up being performed in the US and other countries in time. I feel fortunate that I live in the UK and have an easier time than some to travel to it, but guess what? I sometimes get jealous of people who live in other countries who can see cool stuff there easier than I can! Also, I paid £15 per show (roughly $20) for my tickets, which I do not consider as outclassing the poor for 2 hours of high-quality entertainment.
People are spoilt and we live in the 'I WANT IT NOW' generation, where everyone feels entitled. Not a single person on this planet owes you anything, including artists of work you've previously enjoyed. If you're not happy with someone's current business or artistic decisions, make a conscious decision to just ignore it and move on with your life.
It's an absolute first-world problem that people are unhappy with a book being published in this world, that they can quite happily ignore if they wish.
Couldn't agree more.

Agreed.

Cursed Child will be on Broadway by 2018 at the latest if I had to guess. Tickets will likely be Hamilton level hard to get, which is pretty unheard of for a straight play. It should do enormous business.

I honestly really feel like people are misattributing the problem here. As I put it in reviews I've posted on Facebook, I'm an actor. I know not everyone is, but the majority of people I've seen complaining are upset about the actual content in the play and understand the limitations of a script in terms of environment and characterization. The plot is still laughable, the dialogue really out of touch with the characters, and the devices used to get from point a to point b completely out of touch with the originals. I'm a diehard fan, watched every movie, read every book, read everything on Pottermore, and read the compainion books. I'm fine with changes that fit into the context of the world. I have loved evey piece, until this. This really, really disappointed me as a lifelong fan of the series. I'm still upset the Rowling approved it, it's so weird for her because this play completely screws with a lot of the detailed bits, and she's always been such a stickler for them...

I honestly really feel like people are misattributing the problem here. As I put it in reviews I've posted on Facebook, I'm an actor. I know not everyone is, but the majority of people I've seen complaining are upset about the actual content in the play and understand the limitations of a script in terms of environment and characterization. The plot is still laughable, the dialogue really out of touch with the characters, and the devices used to get from point a to point b completely out of touch with the originals. I'm a diehard fan, watched every movie, read every book, read everything on Pottermore, and read the compainion books. I'm fine with changes that fit into the context of the world. I have loved evey piece, until this. This really, really disappointed me as a lifelong fan of the series. I'm still upset the Rowling approved it, it's so weird for her because this play completely screws with a lot of the detailed bits, and she's always been such a stickler for them...
I agree wholeheartedly.
It'd be like if the Force Awakens was about Rey and Finn trying to go back in time to prevent Anakin from turning evil, or if Jurassic World was about people trying to prevent the first park form happening. It worked in Back to the Future Part II... and it only worked then. Doing the exact same plot but with Harry Potter is a completely silly idea, and the fact that they actually did it and with Rowling's approval boggles my mind. Don't even get me started on the fanfiction-level plot points like Voldemort and Bellatrix having a child... like what? Ew!