Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

Feb 15, 2012
That would be so cool. It was always a bit frustrating that while staying at Caribbean Resort, you were close enough to walk to Epcot and/or DHS, but there was no way to get there. The overhead gondolas, even though they're really an ancient amusement park system, would be a fun and easy way to get to the parks.

Then let me reiterate, it's the strangest thing that Disney is working on so-far.

I'm curious to see logistics, capacity, and more importantly; if it could be expanded easily.

And what selling point this is. Is Disney responding to guest complaints? Are they trying to upsell the resorts in that area for when SWL opens? Justify DVC at CBBR?

And what selling point this is. Is Disney responding to guest complaints? Are they trying to upsell the resorts in that area for when SWL opens? Justify DVC at CBBR?

In all fairness, this is something that I am now wondering too. What I'm curious about with the Gondalas when it comes to selling point, perhap's its a way to add a mode of transportation to a park (and multiple resorts) that doesn't have a legitimate monorail stop?

Excluding Epcot of the picture, DHS; Animation; and Carribbean doesn't have monorail stops, and uses the bus transportation to get people to and from the property. Perhap's this is just a way for them to add an alternative way to get to certain parts of Walt Disney World?

In all fairness, this is something that I am now wondering too. What I'm curious about with the Gondalas when it comes to selling point, perhap's its a way to add a mode of transportation to a park (and multiple resorts) that doesn't have a legitimate monorail stop?

Excluding Epcot of the picture, DHS; Animation; and Carribbean doesn't have monorail stops, and uses the bus transportation to get people to and from the property. Perhap's this is just a way for them to add an alternative way to get to certain parts of Walt Disney World?
Upscale Caribbean Beach for DVC. And ease some of the pressures on the bus transportation, parking at DHS especially (more so than the huge Epcot lot), and road congestion on Buena Vista.

This isn't a plan or rumor, this is being worked on.
Right. The buildings are happening. Period. It's just a matter of are they going to be a gondola or just some random spaces out buildings on the same permit.

I trust Danlb quite a bit. If he says gondola, I believe him. No one can go through permits like that guy.

I'm more curious about CB. Will they refurb the entire resort and turn it into a "deluxe". Or will they simply add on a DVC area.
And will the gondola be DVC only?

Interesting times.

Yeah, those gondola stations look to be in the same spots that site plan that was around a month or so ago showed new buildings being erected. At the time it was a puzzle what those buildings would be. Now it makes sense...I love this plan...I had planned not to go back to staying on site at Caribbean (last trip Fall 2015) since the traffic and trying to get to the parks by car was so bad, and the bus service had gotten significantly slower last trip. But once the gondolas are built I will definitely re evaluate.

I'm willing to bet that if this does happen, with the way Disney has been running everything now, there will be an UPCHARGE to use it. What do we think? $5 OR $10 a day?

I think this a great idea. There's many more companies, places, and technologies around gondolas than there are around monorails. If Disney can build cheap transit this way, I'm all for it.

But, I really hope this doesn't become the "premium" transit option for those who pay a separate fee.

And will the gondola be DVC only?
I would be very surprised if gondola became DVC only. For one thing, Pop Century and AoA don't have DVC. I don't think they could bring those resorts up to DVC quality (whole conversation we could have about how that could change).

Also, I've never thought that Disney had any incentive to build DVC only places. The DVC-only amenities aren't meant to make the DVC experience better. They're meant to attract more people into buying DVC. A gondola only makes DVC seem more attractive for about 20 minutes, until you get to the park and promptly forget all about the transit system.

What kind of capacity do these types of systems have?
These are some of the bigger resorts on property and I'm wondering if it will be easily overwhelmed by the crush of riders.
Also is this a loop or a separate spur to AoA & Pop?

I would be very surprised if gondola became DVC only. For one thing, Pop Century and AoA don't have DVC. I don't think they could bring those resorts up to DVC quality (whole conversation we could have about how that could change).

Also, I've never thought that Disney had any incentive to build DVC only places. The DVC-only amenities aren't meant to make the DVC experience better. They're meant to attract more people into buying DVC. A gondola only makes DVC seem more attractive for about 20 minutes, until you get to the park and promptly forget all about the transit system.
I agree. If you look at the stations, only one of them is adjacent to the coming DVC building. The other one is next to Jamaica & Aruba.