Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

I realize I sounds arrogant, but it was meant to be sarcastic in response to Fallow's statement. It's REALLY common for a horror movie with any sort of buzz (It Follows, Babadook) to automatically be speculated just because there's buzz.

A&D/Marketing/Management are looking at properties in November/December for approval in January/Early February. If a movie is unreleased at that time, it needs to have some tie to make it noteworthy to be considered (sequel or reboot). Winter horror releases are rarely those things. Uni is going to consider October releases long before winter ones because will be relevant when it matters even if it's a flop.

I realize I sounds arrogant, but it was meant to be sarcastic in response to Fallow's statement. It's REALLY common for a horror movie with any sort of buzz (It Follows, Babadook) to automatically be speculated just because there's buzz.

A&D/Marketing/Management are looking at properties in November/December for approval in January/Early February. If a movie is unreleased at that time, it needs to have some tie to make it noteworthy to be considered (sequel or reboot). Winter horror releases are rarely those things. Uni is going to consider October releases long before winter ones because will be relevant when it matters even if it's a flop.

In addition, let's just think logically in regards to the content itself. SPLIT does not contain enough material to conceivably populate a ten scene maze. They aren't going to overexert themselves trying to find an abstract way (ala The Exorcist) to pull off a cohesive product featuring one (1) A-list actor actor.

Like Legacy said, if its not a "classic" horror film, they rarely will create a house around it unless the movie is coming out right before or during the HHN run. Sure "Split" is popular now but it doesn't have the settings to pull off a full maze for a new IP that a lot of people will forget come Sept. Of course you always have the odd ball like Krampus last year but Krampus was a little different. That maze basically wrote itself scene by scene with enough scene changes to be worthy of a house. Plus, it was so different that it could easily work.

I think Exorcist was a huge undertaking for them. It's not common that we get a psychological horror/thriller film turned into a house because it is so hard to pull off. They did a pretty good job with Exorcist but it was far from the scariest house last year. Figuring out a way to pull of Split is asking a lot.

Now, I have a pretty good feeling we will be seeing either a Stephen King house or at least an "It" house. Considering the "It" film comes out Sept 8th, it's perfect timing to turn it into a house. Plus, without Twisty or Jack, HHN needs it clown and Pennywise would be perfect! While I would personally love a Stranger Things house, I doubt that will happen for the same reason Split won't happen. Both properties are not true "horror" properties but rather thrillers with a bit of horror. Still, I feel like Stranger Things could be pulled off easier and with a new season coming out on Halloween, and the crazy fan reaction to that superbowl trailer, they just might figure out a way to do it.

In addition, let's just think logically in regards to the content itself. SPLIT does not contain enough material to conceivably populate a ten scene maze. They aren't going to overexert themselves trying to find an abstract way (ala The Exorcist) to pull off a cohesive product featuring one (1) A-list actor actor.
Ya know. I design my own houses in google sketchup for my portfolio. I'm currently doing a SPLIT maze and there is actually a lot of material when you break down the movie.

Like Legacy said, if its not a "classic" horror film, they rarely will create a house around it unless the movie is coming out right before or during the HHN run. Sure "Split" is popular now but it doesn't have the settings to pull off a full maze for a new IP that a lot of people will forget come Sept. Of course you always have the odd ball like Krampus last year but Krampus was a little different. That maze basically wrote itself scene by scene with enough scene changes to be worthy of a house. Plus, it was so different that it could easily work.

I think Exorcist was a huge undertaking for them. It's not common that we get a psychological horror/thriller film turned into a house because it is so hard to pull off. They did a pretty good job with Exorcist but it was far from the scariest house last year. Figuring out a way to pull of Split is asking a lot.

Now, I have a pretty good feeling we will be seeing either a Stephen King house or at least an "It" house. Considering the "It" film comes out Sept 8th, it's perfect timing to turn it into a house. Plus, without Twisty or Jack, HHN needs it clown and Pennywise would be perfect! While I would personally love a Stranger Things house, I doubt that will happen for the same reason Split won't happen. Both properties are not true "horror" properties but rather thrillers with a bit of horror. Still, I feel like Stranger Things could be pulled off easier and with a new season coming out on Halloween, and the crazy fan reaction to that superbowl trailer, they just might figure out a way to do it.
Split is on track to be the highest grossing horror film in nearly 20 years (unadjusted, of course). People aren't going to forget about it, especially with the sequel on the horizon. But enough about that :lol:

As for Stranger Things, I think it'd be cool to see as a house just for scene recreations, but I think a house based on Season 1 alone would be repetitive. The Demogorgon is really the only scare possible and would need to be pulled off by puppets. If the puppets are not scary or placed in awkward positions, the house would be ruined from a scare-perspective like AVP.

Split is on track to be the highest grossing horror film in nearly 20 years (unadjusted, of course). People aren't going to forget about it, especially with the sequel on the horizon. But enough about that :lol:

As for Stranger Things, I think it'd be cool to see as a house just for scene recreations, but I think a house based on Season 1 alone would be repetitive. The Demogorgon is really the only scare possible and would need to be pulled off by puppets. If the puppets are not scary or placed in awkward positions, the house would be ruined from a scare-perspective like AVP.
But again... it wouldn't have been discussed prior to its release. The timeline is what's important.

That's why no Blumhouse has been used for the first movie. That's why Krampus wasn't used in 2015 (when it could have been used to promote the release). Universal has its lists of houses, and it was likely approved by management in January (since they're doing treatments already). They wouldn't have known how popular Split would be when all that was done.

So, this is going to be a thing. I'm not saying it will be a house this year, but with all the discussion of King properties being potentially mashed up into a house...

I just thought of something for Brains: The Mummy. Dr. Jekyll is in the movie, so it's possible the codename refers to him. HHN will be happening around the time of The Mummy's home video release, so it's possible Uni does a tie in.

Brains is "Get Out". I know it's a controversial title. But I'm actually 99% sure this is correct. If you want to know why you can click the Spoiler tag. WARNING THIS SPOILER WILL RUIN THE MOVIE!!!!
It turns out that the family recruits black men to use for brain transplants to the highest bidder. At the end of the movie a blind man bids for the main character, so he can regain his sight. The family is also a bunch of brain surgeons.

Last edited: