Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

I was also thinking we'd start off in a real physical tonight show theater then move out of it, or they could've pulled A posideons fury and lifted the set up above us and out of the way- revealing a screen.

I'm going to imagine the second option wouldn't be practical in the space given.

People are pretty tough here too, though. A bit fairer too....Yes, I expect that from the Disney Boards, as you said. I just wanted to point out that we shouldn't expect positive reviews from them on any Universal attraction. Their history shows heavy bias, so we shouldn't really be concerned about their negative reviews since that's the way it's always going to be.
I'd like to say, that every site has bias one way or another. Even if you really don't think you have bias, you do, even I do.

The key isn't to try and eliminate it, but to understand it and try to avoid making your personal taste and things you tend to be more bias toward get in the way of honest discussion. In a place like a fan forum, you don't have to worry about that as much as just trying to be respectful of one another's opinions.

For example, even though Disney has played a much bigger role in my life, their recent decisions have made me jump on the Uni train for the most part. I love them both to death (Disney probably a little more), but Disney hasn't wowed me the way Universal has in a while so naturally as of now I've been a bit harsher towards them. Combine that with the fact that my love for Uni more recently has been a breath of fresh air, it makes a difference. It's not because I hate them, but when they're making their track record worse it's going to be a lot harder to impress me. Universal and Disney could make the same product and as of now I could sincerely say, due to Uni's recent track record I'd be a lot less skeptical on the quality.

I'm biased against Avatar, so naturally I'm going to be harder to wow with that land. So I recognize that, and admit it honestly when taking part in discussion and move on. That's all you have to do and it makes you better than the people who get on your nerves for dumping on Universal every time something new comes out.

I'd like to say, that every site has bias one way or another. Even if you really don't think you have bias, you do, even I do.

The key isn't to try and eliminate it, but to understand it and try to avoid making your personal taste and things you tend to be more bias toward get in the way of honest discussion. In a place like a fan forum, you don't have to worry about that as much as just trying to be respectful of one another's opinions.

For example, even though Disney has played a much bigger role in my life, their recent decisions have made me jump on the Uni train for the most part. I love them both to death (Disney probably a little more), but Disney hasn't wowed me the way Universal has in a while so naturally as of now I've been a bit harsher towards them. Combine that with the fact that my love for Uni more recently has been a breath of fresh air, it makes a difference. It's not because I hate them, but when they're making their track record worse it's going to be a lot harder to impress me. Universal and Disney could make the same product and as of now I could sincerely say, due to Uni's recent track record I'd be a lot less skeptical on the quality.

I'm biased against Avatar, so naturally I'm going to be harder to wow with that land. So I recognize that, and admit it honestly when taking part in discussion and move on. That's all you have to do and it makes you better than the people who get on your nerves for dumping on Universal every time something new comes out.
I agree with you for the most part. Actually , though, the bias doesn't really upset or bother me personally, I just like to make people aware that there is obvious bias coming from those Disney oriented sites and not to be swayed by what they're saying. The recent history is that all new Universal attractions will be overtly scrutinized and criticized by them, since it happens with every new Universal attraction. Since I'm also a Disney fan, I also read their main forums & sites. And because I do, I know they've been primarily negative to every attraction Universal has opened in the past decade, no matter how good that attraction may be. So I'm pointing that fact out to people who may not spend as much time reading those forums as I do. Therefore, I'm saying, read them for Disney business but pay no attention to what they say about Universal......Personally, I like both Universal & Disney & spend lots of money at both park systems. But, at this point in time, I enjoy the Universal total vacation experience more.................And, just a reminder to everyone, Fallon is in "soft opening". Things get tested and changes get made.

Last edited:
People are pretty tough here too, though. A bit fairer too....Yes, I expect that from the Disney Boards, as you said. I just wanted to point out that we shouldn't expect positive reviews from them on any Universal attraction. Their history shows heavy bias, so we shouldn't really be concerned about their negative reviews since that's the way it's always going to be.

It's not just the sites so much as the posters. I put a lot of weight when a pessimistic poster has something nice to say or when an optimistic poster has something negative to say... but really the weight is in what the moderates say.

For example you posted Robert's review, but I have filed back in my mind his glowing reviews of the new Dubai parks or of the F&F Universal Hollywood segment (which I have experienced and I know is a hot mess). So I realize his opinion would never be representative of my own.

The negative hysteria is always dramatic and obnoxious, but so too is the constant sweeping of relevant critiques under the rug. That is natural to any fan base. The site you mention is just as furiously negative about Disney's own projects, especially when it comes to the West Coast.

My biggest complaint is I wish this fanbase would stop making everything into an inane 'us vs them' contest. Nearly every critiscm predictably leads us to some sort of "But Disney" reaction. I feel like some people's self worth is tenuously tied to every single offering from Universal being better than the competition down the road. No more evident than VB, which can't just be an amazing water park, it has to be "an amazing water theme park. That just so you know is so much better than those two stupid parks down the road". But when people start outlining the things it would actually need to do to deserve that honor it's suddenly too critical.

Part of the blame is Universal, the other the fan base that (well apart from F&F) always heads into every single project with these unrealistic expectations.

If every conversation needs to be free of criticism it makes us no better than pixie dusters. Arguably worse because true pixie dusters tend to be completely ignorant of the competition.

It's not just the sites so much as the posters. I put a lot of weight when a pessimistic poster has something nice to say or when an optimistic poster has something negative to say... but really the weight is in what the moderates say.

For example you posted Robert's review, but I have filed back in my mind his glowing reviews of the new Dubai parks or of the F&F Universal Hollywood segment (which I have experienced and I know is a hot mess). So I realize his opinion would never be representative of my own.

The negative hysteria is always dramatic and obnoxious, but so too is the constant sweeping of relevant critiques under the rug. That is natural to any fan base. The site you mention is just as furiously negative about Disney's own projects, especially when it comes to the West Coast.

My biggest complaint is I wish this fanbase would stop making everything into an inane 'us vs them' contest. Nearly every critiscm predictably leads us to some sort of "But Disney" reaction. I feel like some people's self worth is tenuously tied to every single offering from Universal being better than the competition down the road. No more evident than VB, which can't just be an amazing water park, it has to be "an amazing water theme park. That just so you know is so much better than those two stupid parks down the road". But when people start outlining the things it would actually need to do to deserve that honor it's suddenly too critical.

Part of the blame is Universal, the other the fan base that (well apart from F&F) always heads into every single project with these unrealistic expectations.

If every conversation needs to be free of criticism it makes us no better than pixie dusters. Arguably worse because true pixie dusters tend to be completely ignorant of the competition.
well said

Actually, I posted Robert Niles' review primarily because it was a 360 turn from the negative comments he was posting about Kong before he had ever rode the attraction. It was an example of what I keep saying about not judging an attraction until you have experienced it. These POV reviews we keep getting from people that will probably never step into a Universal park serve to trash an attraction unfairly. The only reviews that really matter are those who rode the ride. Criticism is fine, but it weighs a lot more when someone has actually experienced an attraction. But negativity, not on an attraction's actual merits, just because it's a Universal attraction, doesn't really mean much. And, since I don't want to keep repeating the same argument, my previous posts explain my position. :)......................................My Motto; "Give a Ride a Chance".....then praise or trash:)

Last edited:

Something similar to either one of these would of provided the different execution and not be soley a 3D motion theater.

Also, for those that say the media cam be easily changed, of course it can, but remember, the same thing was said about Rockit, and your main choices are still mostly "hits" from 2008, so I do not expect a costly refilm and programming to come anytime soon.

Also, for those that say the media cam be easily changed, of course it can, but remember, the same thing was said about Rockit, and your main choices are still mostly "hits" from 2008, so I do not expect a costly refilm and programming to come anytime soon.
To be fair, the songs on rockit are much better then most of the ones today.

To be fair, the songs on rockit are much better then most of the ones today.

Since more than one main choice are still Black Eyed Peas and Kanye West I strongly disagree and I think that there may be a few better choices to cycle in in the last ten years...or prior to 08 would also be easy to do, but that's taste. Not to mention the odd guitar hero asthetic that was barely making sense when it opened.

Another non ideal thought but they could of given Jimmy what he inquired about(a coaster) and fixed the weak theme of RRR with one stone. His target audience amd RRR fall into the same range.

No matter what we say, no matter the site, this is what Universal wants. It's going to be interesting to hear the GSAT score.

I don't think we want them to be good at this point. Or it's Sing 4D, Pets 4D, Pitch Perfect 4D, etc. for us.

Finally rode this today and for the first time I'm going to say....I'm disappointed in Universal. This is literally the same ride as Minion Mayhem. What's ridiculous is the two rides are RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER!!!

I like the queue and the idea behind it though, good idea by Universal too bad it's debuting with a subpar attraction.

I know @Mad Dog swears by the reviews leaning more positive.. but I think they're definitely mixed.. is everyone agreeing on the fact that they did a great job utilizing/maximizing the space left by Twister?

From what I've seen around in different circles - it's fine. Queue gets huge marks but ride is hit or miss but it has its place; although the screens argument is becoming a negative.