Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you interested, here is a good list of the various species of clumping bamboo that might be used.

Clumping Bamboo

AK has a ton of Giant Timber Bamboo... 3-5 inch diameter canes.

Thanks I love bamboo I have several in the garden here in the UK, not quite 3-5" thick though but I do have to watch out for those those pesky runners though .

Talking plants, I thought of you yesterday when I was watching a programme about palms, knew it would be something that would have interested you. They were talking about the many varieties of Palm, one that stood out was the red sealing wax palm, so called because of a striking collar that is the same color red as letter sealing wax.

Last edited:
I don't think Their rockwork is off but more, not finished, ass scott points out below. Also see below as to what I think is evidence they are not done.

As you will see from the image below I have highlighted four concrete bases which are incredibly large, the same ones that were cast to support the first main steel supports for the volcano. there are more of these on the other side of the volcano opening where the rapids pool enters which are evident in earlier photos that also still don't have anything connected to them. I'm 99% sure these are for the remaining steel structure and rock work that is missing, with today's technology in construction some thing so large as these bases are not mistakenly designed considering every nut and bolt will be meticulously planned.

Untitled.png

Whilst I agree that this may have been exactly what these footers are for, it really would not surprise me if this extra structure and steel were scrapped from the final volcano, given the timescale left until grand opening.

That's a pretty bold move if they do that.

Agreed but not as bad as delaying a grand opening and god knows how many refunds. I'm not saying its definitely the case but they seem to be doing far too much landscaping for serious amounts of steel and rock work still to go up.

Agreed but not as bad as delaying a grand opening and god knows how many refunds. I'm not saying its definitely the case but they seem to be doing far too much landscaping for serious amounts of steel and rock work still to go up.
idk.. I'd take the loss of a no more than a hundred grand in revenue to delay a week or two. I imagine a good chunk of people would still keep their vacation as is even if it didn't open.

Even still- I think they could put these pieces in and finish in time anyways. Seems to be the only major construction left.

A bit of an anecdote on those bamboo prices. For you and me, it is expensive depending on how good you are at dividing and propagating which can be difficult as it is rugged as hell (thus they are making flooring out of it)

Disney and Uni do not purchase like you or I. For AK alone, Disney purchased 20 or so acres of timber bamboo from somewhere in GA.

It's all quite something...

Anyone take a trip by Nassal's yard lately? Are there more form "chips" stored there? Could be they are tight on time and decided to put the rest up next winter when they can close the park for a month or so to finish it up. Maybe they will still get it done, they can do some amazing things overnight.

idk.. I'd take the loss of a no more than a hundred grand in revenue to delay a week or two. I imagine a good chunk of people would still keep their vacation as is even if it didn't open.

Even still- I think they could put these pieces in and finish in time anyways. Seems to be the only major construction left.

It's not just the loss of revenue for a few weeks. It's the countless pissed off customers who will refuse to come back and with social media, it will be a PR disaster.

One way or another, they're opening on time.

iI imagine a good chunk of people would still keep their vacation as is even if it didn't open.

This is where i am. We're going May 26 - June 4. i'd love to go to VB but we'll be okay if they decide not to release single day tickets or an AP option by then. We have a day at LegoLand (don't blame me!), a day at AK (Avatar Kingdom) and a no-park day during the craziness known as Memorial Day.

VB would be great to fit in, but i think i'd rather a few tens-of-thousands go down that straight tube drop before i do! :p

This is where i am. We're going May 26 - June 4. i'd love to go to VB but we'll be okay if they decide not to release single day tickets or an AP option by then. We have a day at LegoLand (don't blame me!), a day at AK (Avatar Kingdom) and a no-park day during the craziness known as Memorial Day.

VB would be great to fit in, but i think i'd rather a few tens-of-thousands go down that straight tube drop before i do! :p
I don't blame you. The height of that drop slide is giving me pause. I'll wait for some reviews before I take that plunge.

And no judgement on Legoland. Our vacation will be there next month (and we don't have kids.) We have a reservation for the new Beach Retreat hotel opening there. And we're super excited. We stayed at the Legoland hotel back when that opened too.

I usually like trying every new ride or slide once. But with VB, it may be the first time I skip a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.