Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you interested, here is a good list of the various species of clumping bamboo that might be used.

Clumping Bamboo

AK has a ton of Giant Timber Bamboo... 3-5 inch diameter canes.

Not sure if I ever got around to it, but I know I once had wanted to take pictures of all the bamboo around CBBR.

Not sure why, I think I've been reading around here too long or something :)
But last time I stayed at Cabana, I recall enjoying seeing different varieties and the many ways they used bamboo around the resort.

New Volcano Bay update from WildGravity Travels!

Volcano-Bay-Waterpark-Construction-Universal-Orlando-Resort-440.jpg

Whilst I agree that this may have been exactly what these footers are for, it really would not surprise me if this extra structure and steel were scrapped from the final volcano, given the timescale left until grand opening.

Ok another thing to take note, in the central area the slides are still covered with white sheeting to protect them which we have seen in all areas requiring concrete. the areas near these footers don't have over hangs of concrete rock work currently so no need to be covered however they are which again suggests to me the steel is still yet to be put in. Also they need plenty of access still central to the volcano for those platform areas near the drop slides so putting in that large rock work wall would surely hinder line of vision significantly for any crane operative?

No drop slides for me.:ack: They're ancient history from much younger times. Courage is inverse proportion to age. :)

i dd summit plumett about 8 years ago and got the crap beat out of me so im agreeing with you on this one

The straight shot drop slides will beat you up- im a really thin guy at 6'2" 160lbs- and even with me it'll leave red marks on your back. I don't do them anymore. But the drop slides that only go down a few feet and then start the twisting are totally fine and not rough in the slightest. You can't see a damned thing, because water is all in your eyes- but it's not rough on your body.
So y'all should still do those two that twist around.

Forgive me if this has been posted, but new, somewhat recent (end of Jan. 2017) aerials were added to the Orange County Property Appraiser map:

OCPA Interactive MAP

Once it loads, select base map from the top left and choose "Aerial 2017 Prelims". You'll have to be on a computer and use a browser with Silverlight installed. edit: looks like it works on mobile too but it's a pain to use.

Even though we have much more recent drone images, it's nice to be able to zoom and pan freely with the map view.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this has been posted, but new, somewhat recent (end of Jan. 2017) aerials were added to the Orange County Property Appraiser map:

OCPA Interactive MAP

Once it loads, select base map from the top left and choose "Aerial 2017 Prelims". You'll have to be on a computer and use a browser with Silverlight installed. edit: looks like it works on mobile too but it's a pain to use.

Even though we have much more recent drone images, it's nice to be able to zoom and pan freely with the map view.
This is amazing.

The straight shot drop slides will beat you up- im a really thin guy at 6'2" 160lbs- and even with me it'll leave red marks on your back. I don't do them anymore. But the drop slides that only go down a few feet and then start the twisting are totally fine and not rough in the slightest. You can't see a damned thing, because water is all in your eyes- but it's not rough on your body.
So y'all should still do those two that twist around.

So weird you should say that, I always find it's the complete opposite for me, I'm a similar size/weight to yourself but I was left battered and bruised by the drop slides at Aquatica which twist and turn but Summit Plummit/anything straight down leaves me with no pain or red marks :)

So weird you should say that, I always find it's the complete opposite for me, I'm a similar size/weight to yourself but I was left battered and bruised by the drop slides at Aquatica which twist and turn but Summit Plummit/anything straight down leaves me with no pain or red marks :)

Well then it's settled. I'll need to ride both and see which is more painful. For my own personal knowledge of course.....

OCPA Interactive MAP

I used this interactive map to create an overview of Universal's total land holdings at the South property. Go check it out on this thread: Universal Resort Expansion? | Page 201 | Orlando United Forums

This map is awesome, it shows you the exact plot and who owns it.

Well then it's settled. I'll need to ride both and see which is more painful. For my own personal knowledge of course.....

:lol: I hope you don't get bruised by both :box:

OCPA Interactive MAP

This is awesome by the way, Thanks :)

The waterfall testing.... After seeing this I'm convinced Universal just knocked it out of the park with this one. VB is already amazing!!!

OCPA Interactive MAP

Awesome!

I'm guessing the map is barely a few weeks old if that.

Edit: If I get bored enough, I'll figure out the exact day this way taken. I've got a good estimate in knowing that it's late January to late February by Wet n Wild being completely drained and no slides in the kids section yet.

Last edited:
Good eye but I don't think it is enough. Those may be for outcrops, walls and ride station themeing. When you see the steel then the chips will fall. If it wern't spring break I would take a day and run up to see what I can see.

It's hard to tell how they're stacked. They could all be sitting perfectly one top of each other. The gap that's left is about 15-20% of the volcano and this might only be a small piece of the puzzle.

It's posts like this that really make me wonder what I'd be like if I lived in Orlando and how my wife would react to me take taking a long drive to take some photos of a fake volcano :lol:

Great good pics of the staging nursery. Any idea what the date was on the picture? It is interesting to me that they are staging so deep on the property. Note the shade area that was built. Every thing from Cast Iron plants to Rhapis excelsa would be placed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.