Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the thing, as much as I do get your point..you have been going on and on and on on a very negative-looking stance towards Volcano Bay.

We get it, you are not happy with the turnabout, but try to focus also on positive elements coming for the waterparks. I mean hell, you have been going off on this; and yet here we are forgetting that Seaworld has people paying for waterpark parking).

Try to lighten up, and to look at the more positive elements towards Volcano Bay; not looking entirely at it's negatives.

Volcano Bay looks like it'll be better than Aquatica, no doubt. However, the parking at Aquatica is $15 and the admission ticket is below $60. Compared to parking being $20 and admission being the rumored $110. Disneys water parks have free parking and the admission is $62. So I think Universal will have to adjust their prices or include "free" refreshments, sunscreen or something.

Volcano Bay looks like it'll be better than Aquatica, no doubt. However, the parking at Aquatica is $15 and the admission ticket is below $60. Compared to parking being $20 and admission being the rumored $110.

I think you missed the point of what I was trying to say.

Try to look at the positives. Being negative at something all the time, will be a bad thing; as it would be wise to atleast look for the positives. Odd's are, there are positives to this that you do see, but you downplay it due to focusing mostly on the negatives.

And to a fair extent, you have some valid points.

Would I like to see Krakatau like that? No, but I am happy that they are still working on it (as it hasn't even opened on it). Do I like the parking situation? No. And while I don't like the decision they made, I am willing to look past it. As for the fact that yes, you will be able to see I-Drive from the Mountain's interior? You can't hide everything. While yes, I want to see TDS level theming; I know that isn't really possible with things like a water theme park.

Do I like the marketing move, calling it a Water Theme Park? No. And I can go on a rant about it, but I do look at the positives; like what is seeming in theory, a potentially great concept with TapuTapu, the collection of diverse and unique slides not typically seen in Orlando, and the world's firsts.

Give it, open shot. And once you walk through the gate, drop all the expectations that you may conceive. Be more open for something as opposed to shutting yourself out from enjoying it (like what some people have done with Fallon). It will give you the genuine experience, seeing it not from the fan eye's, but the eyes of a normal person.

I think Volcano Bay is going to be a grand slam homerun for Universal. That being said, the expected early demand & popularity of this park will force Universal to make some unpopular initial ticketing decisions due to capacity concerns. But that problem should solve itself once the peak summer season passes. It'll all work out fine after the initial attendance slam. Long term, this is a big plus plus for tourists staying at or visiting Universal. It really elevates the resort to a new level.....

Volcano Bay looks like it'll be better than Aquatica, no doubt. However, the parking at Aquatica is $15 and the admission ticket is below $60. Compared to parking being $20 and admission being the rumored $110. Disneys water parks have free parking and the admission is $62. So I think Universal will have to adjust their prices or include "free" refreshments, sunscreen or something.

I guess, but you're not using realistic numbers. That's like saying DHS isn't worth the $100 admission. Of course it isn't. But is it worth the extra $20 to go from a 4 day to a 5 day? Sure.

So while yes, volcano bay single ticket is $100 and parking is $20- very very few are going to do that. It's more like $40 to add on volcano bay. Or $15 to add on Disney water parks. That's a more fair comparison. Worth the price difference? Debatable depending on who you are. Parking isn't an issue for me at either wdw or uni as I use MDE or get a driver for Uni.

Plus, at this point in time, we still have no idea of what the admission price will be. Another point is that one of the primary reasons for this park is to fill Universal/Loews hotel rooms and extend guest stays. That' s where the big money is. Those people won't be paying for parking. They're there already. Attendance coming from Disney day guests and locals is the gravy.

Everything is in the marketing.

UOR can price VB twice that of WDW's water parks because they don't advertise it as an add on, an 'extra' park. It is THE 3rd UOR theme park. WDW has 4 theme parks. Now UOR is opening their new 3rd theme park. I'll spend a 3rd day at UOR to see their new theme park, but I'm not necessarily going to spend an extra day at WDW's water parks (and DisneyQuest, and mini golf) because they are EXTRAS.

Tourist only know what the theme parks tell them (more or less). The marketing and portrayal of each park plays into how they can price them. It may not make sense on the surface, but their is a method to the madness. (Also, this is VB's first summer. It's going to hit capacity at a lower price, so why not make it higher?)

Everything is in the marketing.

UOR can price VB twice that of WDW's water parks because they don't advertise it as an add on, an 'extra' park. It is THE 3rd UOR theme park. WDW has 4 theme parks. Now UOR is opening their new 3rd theme park. I'll spend a 3rd day at UOR to see their new theme park, but I'm not necessarily going to spend an extra day at WDW's water parks (and DisneyQuest, and mini golf) because they are EXTRAS.

Tourist only know what the theme parks tell them (more or less). The marketing and portrayal of each park plays into how they can price them. It may not make sense on the surface, but their is a method to the madness. (Also, this is VB's first summer. It's going to hit capacity at a lower price, so why not make it higher?)

Well- it is extra, unfortunately. If they only sold 3 park; then I'd agree. But They sell two park. Two park hoppers. Three park. And three park hoppers. The three park and 3 park hopper are both $40 more than the two park and two park hopper.

My family is exactly who they built volcano bay for. I'm from out of town. I don't get a rent car. I stay on site. And I live in their bubble. I'm their dream- and volcano bay is why I'm going in September when o otherwise was going to skip the year. It's working and I'm proof (anecdotally of course).

Well- it is extra, unfortunately. If they only sold 3 park; then I'd agree. But They sell two park. Two park hoppers. Three park. And three park hoppers. The three park and 3 park hopper are both $40 more than the two park and two park hopper.

My family is exactly who they built volcano bay for. I'm from out of town. I don't get a rent car. I stay on site. And I live in their bubble. I'm their dream- and volcano bay is why I'm going in September when o otherwise was going to skip the year. It's working and I'm proof (anecdotally of course).
Yes, you & your family are the demographic they want. And, like you said, the concept is working.......Universal is doing a good job of copying the Disney business model. And it actually is probably even more profitable. Due to the compact nature of the resort, Universal's infrastructure costs would be considerably less than WDW's. The amount of money generated by Universal on site guests (multiple cha chings) is many many more times of what they receive from a guest that comes from outside the resort. Thus the value assigned to the on site guest's experience. Not that they don't value the day visitor, but only that the on site guest counts more, profit wise.

It all depends of the quality of the experience. Theming is one part but the rides are another. The balance at Disney is more often the theme but the ride plays second fiddle. Universal's scale tips a bit more to the other side. It's a different approach and it pays off.

I for one never liked to eat at WDW. I ate at a few places at Disney Springs and was disappointed about the prices and quantity and quality of the food. The theme parks were even worse.
Universal is the other way around. Never have I eaten at so many good and fun restaurants both in the parks and at CityWalk. There is no reason for me to eat there. I only stay for 3 hours at the park and don't stay on property but I make an effort to eat there. It all depends of the quality of the experience.

Food!

Universal Orlando Close Up | Just Revealed: Unique Island-Inspired Food Coming to Volcano Bay - Close Up

JUST REVEALED: UNIQUE ISLAND-INSPIRED FOOD COMING TO VOLCANO BAY

As a Research & Development Chef at Universal Orlando Resort, I’ve gotten to create some unique food dishes. But it was a whole other experience to help design an entire menu for our third park, Universal’s Volcano Bay.

From the start, our award-winning culinary team, led by Corporate Executive Chef Steven Jayson, was excited to elevate the food and beverage experience at Volcano Bay. From the minute you arrive in the morning until well into the night, you’ll have more than 60 delicious options to choose from, from snacks to entrees to desserts.

When you’re here, you (and your taste buds) will enjoy a wide range of island-inspired dishes, all inspired by the flavors of the South Pacific. What suits your tastes? Try a Poke Poke Bowl or Mango BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich or Island Chicken Salad. Plus—for the grownups—you can enhance your relaxation experience and sip on refreshing signature cocktails and beer while you lounge by the water.

There’s no denying how delicious the slowly-smoked glazed Hawaiian Ribs with boniato mash and sweet plantains is. One of my personal favorites is the Coconut Curry Chicken made with braised chicken, green coconut curry sauce, white rice, coconut and cilantro with sweet plantains. And our specialty burgers are sure to fill up for a day of thrills and relaxation.

You’ll find mouthwatering island flavors for everyone at these dining locations, all conveniently placed around the park:
  • Kohola Reef Restaurant & Social Club
  • Whakawaiwai Eats
  • Bambu
  • The Feasting Frog
You’ll never have to walk far to fuel up for more sliding, splashing, relaxing and laughing with your family and friends.

If you love traditional theme park food, have no fear. There are options like chicken fingers, hamburgers and pizza for you to enjoy as well. And many of these dishes are available as part of Volcano Bay’s Universal Dining Plan option.

VB6.jpg

VB14.jpg

VB1-1170x731.jpg

VB12-1170x731.jpg

VB3-1170x731.jpg

VB5-1170x731.jpg

VB6-1170x731.jpg

new-vb-pic-for-royal-slider-1170x731.jpg

VB8-1170x731.jpg

VB4-1170x731.jpg

VB9-1170x731.jpg

VB10-1170x731.jpg

VB16-1170x731.jpg

VB19-1170x731.jpg

Last edited:
Absolute deliciousness. One of my favourite (very underrated) places in the Resort currently is the Bula Bar at Royal Pacific - nothing like sitting by the pool in the twilight with some fish tacos and those incredible nachos. This looks like exactly the same kind of deal, taken up a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.