Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Uni is getting better at it. I mean look at Diagon....but then just look at Fast and Furious. Star Wars Land and Pandora will propel WDW to the top again in themeing. There can only be one. Lol. Universal has the ability to take back the crown with Nintendo

Disney won't be exactly perfect though, as there still is Toy Story Land, and as much as I want to hope; it has been downgraded heavily in terms of scenic.

And on the side for Kong, yes; Fallon isn't fully detailed, as it should have more facades on the side facing the Bowl (even if it's not the Rockefeller), there is Kong; and F&F is not even done yet. And from what it seems like, it will not be unthemed on the sides facing the guests.

And as for Pandora and Star Wars, yes; they will be beautiful but in the case of Pandora, beauty is only skin deep. And while I do believe SWL and Nintendo will be groundbreaking in the overall spectrum, it is somewhat of an unfair fight to say.

You are dealing with a theme park division that is getting cuts all around to boost profit at certain areas, and the other is having to scale back how quickly they proceed, due to major investments not just in the theme park division, but all across the corporate spectrum.

It's my two cents, and it's hilariously off-topic of Volcano Bay as I get the thread, :topic:.

From Bio,

I think we can all admit that Disney is far more conscientious about sight lines from the guest's perspective. Universal takes the "deal with it" approach, which may be fine now but will show in comparative value down the line when their new shiny toys aren't so new anymore. My point remains the same. If you want to play with the competition, you should actually try and compete with them from a qualitative standpoint. UO cuts corners in pretty much everything they build, and the volcano may just be the most glaring example of this.
Universal doesn't have its own county to work with, it's basically in the middle of a big residential area/city

I will say that they have never been scared to show you a show building though...Some say this sets them apart from Disney, some say this is why they will never be better than Disney...I say I really could care less..

Spend some time in Epcot/Magic Kingdom, and you will start to experience site line issues...They exist at every park..

Sure they exist in every park, but Universal clearly doesn't get an F about them. They're very shortsighted when it comes to the planning and development of the resort. Disney's finally getting back on track with additions like Disney Springs and Avatar. The only time Universal does it right is when they're forced to. But, Volcano Bay goes beyond just show buildings and sight lines, and into the realm of cost cutting. Everything Universal does is compartmentalized without the consideration of how things thematically marry together. That's the point, and that's the true difference maker in what makes something good vs something great. Tokyo's Disney Sea is great, Animal Kingdom is great, IOA at one time was great, but everything outside of Potter has just been B minus worthy.

I'm not trying to be the bearer of bad news, I'm actually a huge UO fan. The problem I have is that they never really took into consideration the legacy that some of these projects might have 10 years from now when they initially designed and built the rides. It's turning the parks (and the resort) into theme park potpourri, rather than truly being a world-class cohesive resort that tells a much larger story.

Sure they exist in every park, but Universal clearly doesn't get an F about them. They're very shortsighted when it comes to the planning and development of the resort. Disney's finally getting back on track with additions like Disney Springs and Avatar. The only time Universal does it right is when they're forced to. But, Volcano Bay goes beyond just show buildings and sight lines, and into the realm of cost cutting. Everything Universal does is compartmentalized without the consideration of how things thematically marry together. That's the point, and that's the true difference maker in what makes something good vs something great. Tokyo's Disney Sea is great, Animal Kingdom is great, IOA at one time was great, but everything outside of Potter has just been B minus worthy.

I'm not trying to be the bearer of bad news, I'm actually a huge UO fan. The problem I have is that they never really took into consideration the legacy that some of these projects might have 10 years from now when they initially designed and built the rides. It's turning the parks (and the resort) into theme park potpourri, rather than truly being a world-class cohesive resort that tells a much larger story.
Many times Universal's finances were the reasons things like that got cut...I think of Poseidon't Fury or Hogwarts

In the next 10 years you will see a major shift...Universal is very dedicated to theme, but they have never had the budget of Disney..

Speaking of which, if I must trade, I would rather have an extra scene in a ride than a facade that sticks out from behind a tree

All this talk about sightlines but with the volcano being so big, once you're underneath it you aren't going to see a whole lot from that side of the park. The majority of the views will be obscured by the slides?

I don't think they will leave it they way it is, maybe it won't be fixed by opening date but not long after I can see them doing something.

The worst of views of the volcano will be from the I4 and again as someone else pointed out, universal won't care about that either.

'Cept Universal likes to cut those too ;)
Sure, again, budget is a real thing...Universal has had to earn its place in the theme world...They are just recently hitting their peak...To quote the Storyteller from HHNXX because I'm a nerd, "What has passed is merely the prologue"...If you look at Volcano Bay and say EW! I really can't argue with you...I would consider enjoying Universal as Universal, not Universal as a 5th and 6th Disney park

Universal doesn't have its own county to work with, it's basically in the middle of a big residential area/city
It isn't a county or a city. It is an inter-county special district that covers some immediate governing jurisdiction over the area, but county laws still apply within its borders and the cities are still technically a higher authority. It is... unique.

It isn't a county or a city. It is an inter-county special district that covers some immediate governing jurisdiction over the area, but county laws still apply within its borders and the cities are still technically a higher authority. It is... unique.
I was exaggerating a bit..Disney has a ton of space, you can call it whatever you want

Yeeesh, I just stated that I hope/wish they will make the close slides a bit more peek-a-boo with a bit of tall greenery in the foreground. Washingtons only need 3-4 feet of ground to be planted in. A bit of timber bamboo in between would float my boat. Scott, whip us up an example with your mighty PS skills. I would but I am busy in Illustrator at present. ;)

Interesting story about theme. On page 169 of former Disney Imagineer Sam Gennawey's book, 'JAYBANGS, How Jay Stein, MCA, & Universal Invented the Modern Theme Park and Beat Disney at Its Own Game' (long title :)), there's a picture of "Jay Stein and Director John Landis on Universal Studio Florida's N.Y. Street themed as 1931 Chicago for the Disney movie Oscar. The N.Y. street at Disney-MGM Studios could not be used because it looked fake" Quoted from the book....That quote speaks volumes. :)

Ive been going to Disney and Universal for years and enjoy them both but I never once thought about sightlines. lol
I normally don't have an issue either, but if they leaving the entire back open it is going to take away from the story/themeing. If it was out of guest view that would be different, but there's attractions all around the volcano.

This is back view I think. It's not fully open, it's got the volcano all around. Hopefully this is the plan.
3_BB_Krakatau_tcm37-59158.jpg

Since everybody is making stupid comparisons between VB and Avatar.

The food score reads VB 1 - 0 Avatar.

No but seriously, this looks perfect for the park.

To be fair, I'm sure that Disney had a harder time formulating a menu to fit the Avatar theme than Universal did with VB. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the food options at VB, but the comparison is unfair between the two.

TL;DR - The back is incomplete, wont be closed but will have more rock work and yes in time for opening date.

OK so all of this talk about the back of the volcano, here are my thoughts. Personally I'm 99.9% sure its not finished and have already explained why a few posts back with an image but just looking at the latest drone video and thought I may have to point a couple of things out so hopefully a few of you can calm down, be a little patient and wait for some of the back pieces of the volcano to arrive.

Firstly lets look at what is missing, two screen shots below from he promo vids show a large area projecting towards the sky on the right of the water coaster exiting the mountain.

missing2.png

missing.png

Moving onto the screen shot below from the latest Drone footage:

What is there currently? NOTHING! But why is there nothing? Because you see that crane that is currently needed to complete the platform etc at the top and centre of the volcano, well check the screen shot below from the video, it is currently parked right where that missing rock work needs to be as highlighted in the red square to the left of the image! Its really not difficult to understand why that back portion is not finished, they need access to the centre of the volcano, not just for construction but also if they have any problems with the tech or slide pieces in the centre its no good closing that volcano up early!

Next question I have seen a few times: Are they just going to leave it? NO! Why? See those footers I have highlighted and spoken about on numerous occasions, they are incredibly large, they are there to support steel, the only steel that large left to install would be to support the rock work as highlighted in the promo vids above. Also take note of how large and empty the gap is in the left where the crane is, that is a large part of opening to leave uncovered and the edge of the volcano simply looks Odd, aesthetically its terrible so of course they wont leave it.

Third question you see a lot: But what about time? Its only a couple months from opening! So the steel structure will have been designed with the latest computer aided design packages which I'm sure will have undoubtedly included clash detection software etc etc, each piece of steel, slide, rock etc etc all calculated to exact sizes and fit. These are then made offsite, it becomes a huge Jigsaw puzzle. The rest of that rock missing will already be fabricated, its a matter of piecing a few bits of steel together, bolted down to already cast footers and slapping on a jigsaw skin and spraying it with concrete and painting it. Look at the speed some areas were done lately like the opening to the lazy river tunnel, done within days/ maybe a week. We have a couple months yet!!!!! IF more man power is needed UNI will get it. Money won't matter on the cost of a few more contractors for a few days or weeks.

current.png

In conclusion the large rock area missing will stop it looking as open and also make what is currently a clean edge to the volcano look much more natural, the right hand side has the same footers as I highlighted in the screen grab but none of the promo videos show anything projecting higher than the matt racers slides so from the video I'm assuming the angle of the footers suggests the rock work may project at an angle toward the volcano and up through the centre of that closest first green loop of the water coaster above the highlighted area on the right.

If anyone still has doubt fare enough, I don't no what more you need other than evidence of pieces being installed but so far there is nothing to suggest the missing rock won't be installed. If it isn't I would be incredibly surprised, but I'm not worried and confident it will turn up before long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.