Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Mystery of the HHNVault?

Aug 25, 2016
It's ever changing website that grows even more creepier with age. Maybe we can speculate the purpose or the being behind it?

I could be wrong, but isn't the Vault more of a fan run site that then went haywire? I don't know for sure, but I thought it was fan-run.

it was fan runned but something happened to the site maybe Doctor Jimmy would know why it fell.

but, there is a theory that a A&D member actually bought the site and is using it for clues for each year there's a hhn and is running it separately outside of the Universal because this person enjoys it alot.

I was a member back in the day, even had a shirt. Cant really remember what happened, but it was a pretty lively site in its heyday.

it was fan runned but something happened to the site maybe Doctor Jimmy would know why it fell.

but, there is a theory that a A&D member actually bought the site and is using it for clues for each year there's a hhn and is running it separately outside of the Universal because this person enjoys it alot.
You could check the ownership and the coding if you really want to know

The site is still own by the same person who owned it in hayday... He shut it down for many reasons but he could always bring it back if he wants. I run into a few times at HHN and its always a pleasure to talk to him.. As I was member for a LONG time. Even back to the HHNHQ days.

Not sure but for some fun when the numbers of the year are cycling through click on the first number and type the number 6 and wait for a little bit for a hidden part.

I just googled and read about this site...obviously never been on it when it was active because my first hhn was 2015. But yeah, when you get to the numbers page, you can type in 1991, 2016 or 6969. 1991 seems to be a video from fright nights at universal, 2016 says error or something, and I literally have no clue what the video from 6969 is from but it's weird af.

EDIT: the 6969 video seems to be from the bill & ted movie

Last edited:
The site is still own by the same person who owned it in hayday... He shut it down for many reasons but he could always bring it back if he wants. I run into a few times at HHN and its always a pleasure to talk to him.. As I was member for a LONG time. Even back to the HHNHQ days.
Same here..I distinktly remember your haunted house design story that you posted...You will still see HHN Vault shirts wondering around on some HHN Nights..

I wish it was Universal owned but seeing as it was a known fan-run site, chances are small. Owner name is hidden in registration records.

Following can be found in source code and reads "Open the Vault" just like the initial landing page:
ss 2017-04-05 at 10.53.34 AM.jpg

It also shows this:
ss 2017-04-05 at 10.54.08 AM.jpg
"Incoming transmission from 10/25/91"
10/25/1991 was the first night of "Fright Nights" the original name for HHN 26 years ago.

The /unleashthehorror/ page that has the counting digits, has the same "Unleash the Horror" in the source code:
ss 2017-04-05 at 11.03.25 AM.jpg

I wonder why the person decided to use "M" so often in the hidden messages.

Anyways, whoever wrote this has very clean code.. pretty impressed

Revisiting HHNVault: The story behind the HHN fan community

"David Campbell, better known under his online pseudonym Dr. Freak (stylized as “dR. fReAK”), would harness his passion for Halloween, horror films, and haunt events and create an unprecedented community in the process. Campbell had an insatiable appetite for horror that he discovered during his childhood car rides that took him by “Terror on Church Street,” a popular year-round haunt attraction that opened its doors on Nov. 8, 1991 in Downtown Orlando. Described as “Orlando’s most FATAL Attraction” and “Beyond the Limits of Fear” by its creators, Terror on Church Street was located inside the historic Woolworth building on South Orange Avenue. At night, the venue’s blood red neon fixtures illuminated its seemingly endless line of guests that stretched past the property’s boundaries. Shrill, anxiety-inducing music could be heard from down the road, alarming passersby of the attraction’s ghastly inhabitants. If you lived in Downtown Orlando, you knew this chilling sound well."

Really awesome info in that article:

"As Campbell molded the clay that was HHNVault, he knew there was an obstacle he couldn’t avoid. The original incarnation of the now defunct universal-excitement.com posted a leaked animatic from Revenge of the Mummy in 2003, approximately a year before the attraction opened. This led to a cease and desist from Universal’s legal team and action was taken to punish those responsible for leaking the file. This tarnished Universal Orlando’s view of fan sites, which left Campbell in a precarious place, considering Universal was his employer. Campbell called for a meeting with a member of Universal’s Legal Department to prevent recourse and repair relations between the company and its fan community. Campbell spoke at length with Universal about his Horror Nights project. The meeting fared well and Campbell was handed a legal disclaimer to place on his website that made it clear Universal and HHNVault were not affiliated. “I’ve seen the legal disclaimer copied verbatim elsewhere, which is funny because it was specifically written for HHNVault,” he mused with a laugh. Universal’s only proviso: Campbell couldn’t share content from Bill & Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure, a reasonable request due to the show’s satirical use of unlicensed pop culture being a potential target for litigation."

The new coding with the video and such started during the build to HHN 25. Talking with people who who are/were close to Dr. Freak, the new stuff is him messing around. It's a hobby and side project, from my understanding, with no endgame or relaunch planned.

Same here..I distinktly remember your haunted house design story that you posted...You will still see HHN Vault shirts wondering around on some HHN Nights..

I have every shirt that was offerd x 2. I still wear one at HHN, My wife wears one every night we are there, Still get little extras in the houses and on the streets.Oh and running into some of the members and reminisce about HHNs past. Some of you may have seen her , she's the one
in the wheelchair.