Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Aladdin

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
It was recently announced, that Disney would be moving forward with a Live-Action remake of the animated classic; Aladdin.

The film will begin production in July, as the production will end in January of 2018. The film will be directed by Guy Ritchie.

There is no release date as of yet.

Comment down below for your thoughts on the coming adaptation of the animated film?

Ehh not exactly. They most likely will go with Persians, Israelis, or Northern African cast members instead of Arabs to bypass the issues of racisms etc. The biggest issue is whether or not they want is middle eastern ranges from very Caucasian features to very African features as well. So I can see some people being passed for being way too ethnic and dark which then Disney will get blamed for white washing.

What it is sounding like aswell, it will be Ala BaTB (Musical style) so I'm curious if we may see some elements from the Broadway production come to play, much like how Beauty had some little bits in there.

um this is really a bad movie to remake in live action.When the cartoon came out alot of people were mad bc it made the middle east seem barbaric.Now where getting a remake where chances are most of the main cast will be white.

um this is really a bad movie to remake in live action.When the cartoon came out alot of people were mad bc it made the middle east seem barbaric.Now where getting a remake where chances are most of the main cast will be white.

They said in the casting call, that they are seeking to have the characters in middle eastern.

I would assume, like Mulan; that the film will not be whitewashed, as the Mulan adaptation was confirmed that it won't be. And, to an extent, I think that is a discussion worse than even the Screenz debacle throughout the past few years.

Watched the trailer..and honestly, I have nothing.

I think, the more I'll see, the more I will have an opinion; but this showed almost nothing (outside of seeing small glimpses of things).

It's even more cryptic than TFA, but even that knew what to show.

2 concerns.

Lago’s Voice.
Genie’s Voice.

Both are beyond iconic and unique.

I have to think Lago won’t talk, which will ease that fear. And I think Smith will do great, but I’m still very nervous. Almost like the Genie is going to have to be a bit more serious and sarcastic vs insane like Williams’ version.

To be frank, these live action films have surpassed my expectations significantly thus far (sans alice and wonderland). Outside of casting Emma Watson as Belle, they’ve been all but perfect.

Cinderella & The Jungle Book have been fantastic renditions of their original counterparts, IMO. And while I don't like Maleificant, I don't mind BaTB as much as others (but it's not like I'd want to go see it again and again).

I have..some concerns on Aladdin. Specifically for Will Smith as The Genie and how Ritchie handles the material.