Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping they had to remove the footer to clear a path for the gigantic crane that was just moved out of the internal volcano area. However, I am also less optimistic as well about getting the rockwork shown in the concept art. We will probably know in a week what the plan is for this side of the Volcano.

Yeah I had this thought too however I then assumed they would have removed the crane from the right of that purple support as there appears to be enough room comparing the width of the crane and the gap and also that is where it was located for the last few days. As you said though I'm sure it wont be long before we get a good idea what will be going on those footers, if anything. Now the cranes are not needed in the centre if anything is going up I would expect it to happen very quickly starting around now! We shall wait and see.

You'd think a world class theme park would have their ducks in a row before inviting all that media to come out and give them attention, no? As far as holding onto hope that they'll eventually finish up the rock work - if they've taken out those footers (which require over a month to properly set and cure) you're not getting it. Sorry - we're in the finishing touches/test & adjust phase of this project.

I'm hoping they had to remove the footer to clear a path for the gigantic crane that was just moved out of the internal volcano area. However, I am also less optimistic as well about getting the rockwork shown in the concept art. We will probably know in a week what the plan is for this side of the Volcano.

You'd think a world class theme park would have their ducks in a row before inviting all that media to come out and give them attention, no? As far as holding onto hope that they'll eventually finish up the rock work - if they've taken out those footers (which require over a month to properly set and cure) you're not getting it. Sorry - we're in the finishing touches/test & adjust phase of this project.

So just as I was about to close the below photo I noticed these rather large concrete footings in an odd place that were not there, ever! :frustrated" Well I am assuming these are the footings I identified as being removed as they look a similar size shape and angle, there were also three to four in that area too, seems to all add up! If they are this is a disappointing prospect of them not installing that large amount of rock at the rear which would have helped break up the edge of the volcano opening like it was meant too. Also this leaves the water coaster exposed on that side rather than appearing to exit the mountain like in the promo video which looks naff as it currently is as far too much of it is exposed on that side. I shouldn't really jump to conclusions as I have been reasonably reserved before expressing concern at any construction however this is not looking promising. Still hoping I'm wrong about everything and it will magically appear in the next few weeks and those footers were nothing to do with it....:bonk:

Photos below show dates and highlighted areas I am talking about.

Untitled.png

Premium seating seems like a super good deal! :thumbsup:

I wonder if they'll have a max. number of people in a cabana. We were planning on getting one for HHN for our group of friends. $600 between 10 people isn't bad at all.

I would think the 2-story cabanas would hold a ton of people. Like, pushing a dozen. And then the one-story cabanas would hold like 6-8?
According to that e-mail or whatever, it looks like you only rent the top or bottom of the two-story cabana, not the whole thing. And then it says each cabana holds up to six people.

According to that e-mail or whatever, it looks like you only rent the top or bottom of the two-story cabana, not the whole thing. And then it says each cabana holds up to six people.
I totally misinterpreted that. I took it as getting an entire 2-story cabana in either the upper side or the lower side of the park.

Clearly, I'm hanging around the USH forums too much

Yeah, or they are prepared to replant them almost every year. Perhaps they have purchased more industrial space heaters? They are pushing it with the foxtails.
I once heard malls use "mummified" trees inside. Could they use a few coconut once just to build the scene and without the cold problem?

I once heard malls use "mummified" trees inside. Could they use a few coconut once just to build the scene and without the cold problem?

I don't believe so as they would be prone to fading etc. They appear to be saving the coco's for the white beach areas so replacing them wouldn't be too difficult and they grow fast so they would be relatively cheap to replace after a killer freeze.

Here is a coco in the nursery:

cocos-nucifera-green-malayan-coconut-palm-1000667894-1474902854.jpg

Out of interest how much do palms cost? I saw a bunch being planted down the medians in Dr Philips and thought they must have been spending a fair few $$$s

Out of interest how much do palms cost? I saw a bunch being planted down the medians in Dr Philips and thought they must have been spending a fair few $$$s

Depends on the size and type. I bought some baby ones for $15 and they are big (15ish feet) after 3 years. Whats expensive is the transporting and planting.

I have a friend of a friend who is a Club 33 Member and huge theme park nut and lots of money who already booked a room in one of the CB towers with a view of VB for June. He calls Universal daily trying to get a cabana booked at VB as soon as they start booking. He said apparently if you call, they get the info in the reservation center before it is made public (he booked the room before they were publicly available).

I don't believe so as they would be prone to fading etc. They appear to be saving the coco's for the white beach areas so replacing them wouldn't be too difficult and they grow fast so they would be relatively cheap to replace after a killer freeze.

Here is a coco in the nursery:

cocos-nucifera-green-malayan-coconut-palm-1000667894-1474902854.jpg
Fading didn't cross my mind but I guess you are right.
Maybe the heat of the water close to the beach (I expect the water is heater in winter) will create a mini climate there.

The first time I visited Florida (in 1985) I talked to a lady at a gas station near Daytona. She asked where I was from and I told her that I was from the Netherlands. She conformed with me if there where like real leafy trees like in the north. I said yes and told her I was taken by the palm trees. She looked at me as if I was stupid and said "a bare stick with a bit of green on the top, give me a real tree anytime. I guess it's a perspective thing but I still love palm trees.

Fading didn't cross my mind but I guess you are right.
Maybe the heat of the water close to the beach (I expect the water is heater in winter) will create a mini climate there.

The first time I visited Florida (in 1985) I talked to a lady at a gas station near Daytona. She asked where I was from and I told her that I was from the Netherlands. She conformed with me if there where like real leafy trees like in the north. I said yes and told her I was taken by the palm trees. She looked at me as if I was stupid and said "a bare stick with a bit of green on the top, give me a real tree anytime. I guess it's a perspective thing but I still love palm trees.
Growing up in a hard wood forest, palm trees means "vacation".

Status
Not open for further replies.