Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Drayton Manor - Rapids Accident

Jon84

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2013
Girl, 11, dies after Drayton Manor theme park fall - BBC News

Unfortunately another Rapids related death.

After the the accident is Australia this could spell the end for some smaller parks Rapids.

I doubt Drayton Manor will last long, Alton Towers took a hit in profits due to their attendance drop and legal bills, but is still her due to being part of Merlin.

These River Rapids deaths aren't going to do SeaWorld any favors next year when Infinity Falls opens. It's very sad to hear she didn't make it.

These River Rapids deaths aren't going to do SeaWorld any favors next year when Infinity Falls opens. It's very sad to hear she didn't make it.
I agree, it will certainly make people think twice about riding them.

I don't know - I just looked at a POV of the ride and it's pretty tame. It's literally just a long, winding, rapid river. No drops.

It's a tragedy, but this may have happened due to the rider.

I don't know - I just looked at a POV of the ride and it's pretty tame. It's literally just a long, winding, rapid river. No drops.

It's a tragedy, but this may have happened due to the rider.
Problem is the general public don't look into the detail of the story, they just hear someone died and avoid the park.

The number of people I heard saying they'd never go Alton Towers again is outrageous.

My Facebook already has people posting saying They've seen badly maintained rides and accidents across Drayton Manor. The negative word of mouth is powerful!

Yeah, the reports just say she fell in the water. You'd get life threatening injuries in the load area of any boat ride if you fell in.
True. Like the young lad who got stuck between boats on Pirates at DLP

These rapids rides - are they basicaly Bilge Rat Barges? What are we talking about here?

Apparently she was standing up and taking pictures (selfies probably), at least that is what I heard.

Apparently she was standing up and taking pictures (selfies probably), at least that is what I heard.
I can only find tabloid speculation that she stood up at the moment.

Same report says a teacher was with her, they'll have a lot to answer for if that's the case

Sad sad news.

Awful about the poor girl, her family and school friends who were with her.

Time will tell where fault liesbut I do fear for Drayton manor. Even if they are not to blame the public will just see the headlines, school girl dies at park.

All this not long off the back of the smiler accident at alton towers, prone are going to have little to no faith in themepark safety.

Gonna be a long summer for Drayton manor and I would not be surprised if they didn't make it through it.

I hope in wrong, but I genuinely fear for the park.

Having said that final thoughts must go to all involved. We all love the parks, the rides and the thrills but moments line this often make you reflect. A group of school friends having the time of their lives before tragedy struck, such a terrible juxtaposition that could happen anywhere.

RIP little girl :pray:

Drayton Manor: Evha Jannath named as ride death girl - BBC News

Vikki Treacy told BBC 5 live her son fell in the water on the same ride in 2013.

She said Patrick, who was 10 at the time, "sort of stood up" for a photo and toppled from the boat.

Theme park enthusiast Ian Bell, who owns rollercoaster fan group Coasterforce, said rapids rides like Splash Canyon tended not to have seatbelts in case they capsized.

"They are fairly buoyant; they rarely capsize. They are very safe," he added.

These types of rafts are normally a bit smaller than the US ones and seatbelt-less. They tell you to remain seated at all times.

It's a tragic accident. I think that's all.

Sad sad news.

Awful about the poor girl, her family and school friends who were with her.

Time will tell where fault liesbut I do fear for Drayton manor. Even if they are not to blame the public will just see the headlines, school girl dies at park.

All this not long off the back of the smiler accident at alton towers, prone are going to have little to no faith in themepark safety.

Gonna be a long summer for Drayton manor and I would not be surprised if they didn't make it through it.

I hope in wrong, but I genuinely fear for the park.

Having said that final thoughts must go to all involved. We all love the parks, the rides and the thrills but moments line this often make you reflect. A group of school friends having the time of their lives before tragedy struck, such a terrible juxtaposition that could happen anywhere.

RIP little girl :pray:

It's just a horrible situation for everybody involved.

The general public's reaction to things like this are absurd. The two worst comments I've seen so far are: 'Water rides should require life vests' and 'These rides are only scary because they're dangerous'.

Unless improperly maintained these sorts of things capsizing is a fluke - but standing up is something people stupidly do all the time.

Kali River Rapids capsized once and has belts, so that's the other problem. But they're always belts that are easy to release - so they moreso remind you to stay seated.

Had a dumb kid on Popeye stand up and run around once with me and friend in the boat. Told him to sit down and he ignored us and in a minute the boat bounced and he hit his head on the grab railing. He quickly sat down and behaved himself after that.

If you look at POVs from this specific attraction there are signs posted every 100 feet on this ride warning riders to Remain Seated. More than I've ever seen on a rapids style ride. On top of that there are 3 placards on every raft that say remain seated and keep your hands on the center wheel. They can be seen from every seat. It's sad, but this was completely the fault of the victim.

Last edited:
If you look at POVs from this specific attraction there are signs posted every 100 feet on this ride warning riders to Remain Seated. More than I've ever seen on a rapids style ride. On top of that there are 3 placards on every raft that say remain seated and keep your hands on the center wheel. They can be seen from every seat. It's sad, but this was completely the fault of the victim.

The teacher that was riding with them is going to have alot to answer for.

Unfortunately, the headlines is what the public see, can't see the place lasting.