Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I find it sort of funny when someone brings up $$ as in someone is skimping out. I would have no clue, but I know Comcast has mad cash flow from their cable business that they know they need to diversify into other, more growing revenue streams.

I also make an opinion by talking to employees (many of whom work for the mouse as well) when I visit the parks. I have heard nothing but good things about the way Comcast supports UOR.

I'm sure VB had a budget to follow, but I doubt they ran out of money. Now time, that is harder to control. Once they picked an opening date, a line was drawn in the sand.

I'm sure my family will love spending time in this park.

(And there are many valid criticisms, but I bet the designers hate some of the issues more than anyone on here would).

There are some stunning things I've seen throughout the coverage of the park and there are some things that could use improvement. In spite of any of that the place looks like a blast and once things are ironed out more, I will be delighted to visit.

Reactions: Mr. EPCOT and Quint
There are some stunning things I've seen throughout the coverage of the park and there are some things that could use improvement. In spite of any of that the place looks like a blast and once things are ironed out more, I will be delighted to visit.
Exactly, not sure why a disappointing lazy river and an open back Volcano equals a failure...There is so much right with the park

Reactions: 12th Man
It doesn't equal failure at all! I've said, and many others have said, how nice some of the park looks. In fact, there are areas of this park that have far exceed my expectations. Unfortunately there are some glaring issues that needed to be addressed. Hopefully some Comcast brass takes their family to the park, notices these issues, and tells UC to fix it - because I'm pretty sure the boys and girls sitting in creative share the same sentiments regarding certain sore spots in the park that some of us do. You have to identify your problems first before you can begin to solve them.

Can Volcano Bay be one of the best water parks in the world? Yes, in due time. Is it now? No, in my opinion it's about on par with Aquatica and doesn't *yet* touch the Disney parks in terms of overall quality. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's a good spot to be in. But, again, we've all been told to hold our horses til the in-park pics and trip reports came in before making the call. I say, enhance the action river, get that Mammoth slide up as soon as possible, and adjust the Tapu Tapu timing. We'll be having a completely different conversation this time next year because I'm certain that there will be noticeable improvements coming.

ok..so as someone who is really excited about visiting this park. I can say, based on the photos/videos I've seen, I'm kind of disappointed with the general lack of detailed theming. I think I expected way more theming on the rides themselves. Especially the "under the volcano" river. Am I mistaken, or wasn't there concept art showing people under a volcano in a cavern type setting? Was this for the lazy river that wasn't open? Please make me feel better about this, because the "beam" river looked like something out of a cheap resort. Not a AAA theme park.

The volcano itself is really, really impressive, but everything else feels a little "cheaper" than I expected. Like not quite the "Water Theme Park" stuff they have been spouting for the past year. I mean Disney just opened a new water ride with an actual AA in it. Nothing I've seen here comes even close to that level.

I guess my expectations were just way higher for UOR, who has been knocking it out of the park for the past decade.

From what I've read the cavern is in the lazy river which has yet to open, likely due to the cavern itself remaining incomplete.
Ok...that makes me feel better.
Ha ha.
I'm sue the park is a blast, and tons of fun for the whole family, I just think they have a lot of work left to do. Which will take much longer to complete now that the park is open to the public full time.

Reactions: ArchieAndrews
My biggest hope is that they've gone all out with Tapu interactivity. That sort of thing really set Diagon Alley apart, and in the water park setting, with some of the story incorporated, that interactivity would be a lot of fun, and set the place apart.

So I am confused, what wasn't open at all today? The only things I can tell are the lazy river and the kiddie play area and no waves in action river. Everything else appears to have opened at some point during the day.

As long as EVERY attraction isn't over a 60min wait I don't see an issue with the Tapu Tapu system. I would suspect just like a normal park, don't get in line unless the wait is 60min or less to be able to enjoy multiple attractions throughout the day. If I see a wait time of 250min, I would not get in that line (Virtual or Actual). Out of 18 attractions, I only saw the crazy 2hr+ wait times for 4 attractions. I would assume the other waits weren't worth mentioning because they were reasonable...just like any other park during peak time.

Can you get out of the virtual line if you see another ride you want to ride instead? If so, is it as easy as going to the rides kiosk and overriding your previous reservation?

I think we need to consider this a full day park and not a half day (if you want to ride EVERY slide). 18 different slides to ride is doable if the waits average 30min or less in 9hrs. I believe the park will be open 12+hrs most days this summer. Even during peak days a guest staying the whole day should have no problem riding all slides at least once during their day w/o express and most likely will get to ride the less popular rides multiple times.

Finally, is the posted wait time the time until you are summoned to the slide or the time you are suppose to be riding the slide? Basically, does your actual time waiting on the stairs for the ride included in the posted time? If so, I wouldn't mind waiting as much as 15-20min on the stairs. Example: if I am told a 60min wait at 1pm and Tapu Tapu tells me at 2pm to go to the slide and I still wait an additional 20min, I would not be happy. But if Tapu Tapu informs me to return at 1:40 and I wait an additional 20min and I ride at 2pm I wouldn't mind.

Reactions: Frogki
The cavern occurs (hopefully) in the area under the kids area. Credit to Bio (don't know how to link tweets sorry).
DAtz9aGXYAEvi3U.jpg:large

Look, for what they accomplished in a little over 2 years since announcement is worth highlighting / acknowledging. No park is perfect day one....no park is perfect even a year after opening.

For me, the one thing lacking is landscape. Maybe its better on the ground, but I was expecting more lush/dense greenery. Planting looks sparse to me. Again, that will take time.....

I think they have a lot of work to do still in terms of theming/fine-tuning the place, but overall I think the quality and diversity of attractions is great - something for everyone in the family. They just need to continue to hammer in the theming. And plant some more trees while they're at it :)

Reactions: rcoasterdude
Can you get out of the virtual line if you see another ride you want to ride instead? If so, is it as easy as going to the rides kiosk and overriding your previous reservation?
I think I saw a picture that indicated that if you try to tap in at ride when you are already in a line then it gives you a choice of changing or keeping.

Ok. I'm home. I'm tired. You have questions. I will answer some. Most will be answered in our article coming out tomorrow.
I'd like to know more about the types and sizes of waves in the the wave pool.