Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Why didn't the Amazing Spider-Man ride go to Hollywood?

Apr 28, 2016
Northern California
I heard that the Amazing Spider-Man ride was supposed to be ported to Universal Studios Hollywood after the success of the Island of Adventure's version and after Universal Studios Japan got theirs, but apparently the plan fell through for some reason. Why is that?

I heard that the Amazing Spider-Man ride was supposed to be ported to Universal Studios Hollywood after the success of the Island of Adventure's version and after Universal Studios Japan got theirs, but apparently the plan fell through for some reason. Why is that?

Funny enough, before or during the most recent episode of Theme Park Talk, @Jonathan dropped that and I was surprisingly off-guard.

If I had to guess, it could be more of who was owning Universal back then, as they probably had to go lower of a budget for a replacement. Hell, look at what some have said for the case of Mummy, and that it was going to go outside the soundstage back I believe in the IU Podcast with Mike Sington.

Universal never used the Marvel rights properly over at USH for whatever reason. They also could've never predicted Disney would buy Marvel though.

I also heard there wasn't a big enough plot of land, which is why Transformers was a 2 level ride

Funny enough, before or during the most recent episode of Theme Park Talk, @Jonathan dropped that and I was surprisingly off-guard.

If I had to guess, it could be more of who was owning Universal back then, as they probably had to go lower of a budget for a replacement. Hell, look at what some have said for the case of Mummy, and that it was going to go outside the soundstage back I believe in the IU Podcast with Mike Sington.

Yeah, I don't really understand WHY the Spider-Man ride did not come to Hollywood, despite its being so massively popular. That Transformers building could have been used for Spider-Man. Maybe my guess is that it's probably doesn't have more room for the foreseeable future? Either way, I feel it's a missed opportunity on Universal Hollywood's part, and it gives people an ammunition as a reason why USH lacks the commitment to Marvel rides as Disneyland Resort

Nor could anybody have seen the success of the MCU.

I'm not sure if MCU is a determining factor, considering Marvel movies like Spider-Man and X-Men movies were already so profitable at the point.

I also heard there wasn't a big enough plot of land, which is why Transformers was a 2 level ride

IDK, the building seems to be big enough to house a Spider-Man attraction.

Yeah, I don't really understand WHY the Spider-Man ride did not come to Hollywood, despite its being so massively popular. That Transformers building could have been used for Spider-Man. Maybe my guess is that it's probably doesn't have more room for the foreseeable future? Either way, I feel it's a missed opportunity on Universal Hollywood's part, and it gives people an ammunition as a reason why USH lacks the commitment to Marvel rides as Disneyland Resort

I'm not sure if MCU is a determining factor, considering Marvel movies like Spider-Man and X-Men movies were already so profitable at the point.

IDK, the building seems to be big enough to house a Spider-Man attraction.

Successful sure but no where near the success of MCU. If it wasn't for those films, I don't think everybody would be wanting an expansion in MSHI as badly as they are now. The comics were popular but the Avengers and everything else with it are now in everybody's face.

From my understanding,
Universal had the Marvel theme park attractions rights until a certain point on the west coast, but didn't renew and only renewed on the east coast. So Universal still has Marvel rights in the east, which is why Disney World doesn't have a Guardians ride.

I decided to look it up again after writing this and found some more info about Marvel's usage in theme parks:
4 INSANE Restrictions on Marvel Characters at Disney Parks | Theme Park Tourist

From my understanding,
Universal had the Marvel theme park attractions rights until a certain point on the west coast, but didn't renew and only renewed on the east coast. So Universal still has Marvel rights in the east, which is why Disney World doesn't have a Guardians ride.

I decided to look it up again after writing this and found some more info about Marvel's usage in theme parks:
4 INSANE Restrictions on Marvel Characters at Disney Parks | Theme Park Tourist

I'm not sure if you missed it:

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ & ‘Ratatouille’ Attractions Coming to Epcot | Disney Parks Blog

Hollywood has the Spider-Man ride... its called Transformers. It is literally the exact same ride, only with giant robots instead of Spiderman & his villains.

Hollywood has the Spider-Man ride... its called Transformers. It is literally the exact same ride, only with giant robots instead of Spiderman & his villains.

They're not even close to being the same ride. Same ride system, yes. Same ride, no. That's like saying Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid are the same ride.

Is Transformers in Hollywood a different layout to Orlando?

The ride portion in Hollywood is identical to Orlando's. The only difference is that Orlando's queue was reworked to fit their park layout.

They're not even close to being the same ride. Same ride system, yes. Same ride, no. That's like saying Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid are the same ride.

The ride portion in Hollywood is identical to Orlando's. The only difference is that Orlando's queue was reworked to fit their park layout.

That's what I was thinking. The main difference being that Transformers is on two levels.