Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 164 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To be blunt, and I am meaning this nicely.

I think IP's like Hellraiser, Killer Clownz, or House of 1000 Corpses aren't as possible to me. They seem more like fan dreams, and that logistically; it doesn't make really any sense to bring those IP's to the event. For the fans? Maybe, but there are probably reasons to why those and others aren't making it anytime soon.

They are possible. But they aren't going to be the IP's that get people in the gates. They'll be the houses that help round out the line-up.

I've heard good things about Hive from Legacy. So maybe it's the exception in the "unexpected changes" category?

We'll see. I've heard to not rule it out so... We shall see in a few weeks.

Reactions: SeventyOne
To be blunt, and I am meaning this nicely.

I think IP's like Hellraiser, Killer Clownz, or House of 1000 Corpses aren't as possible to me. They seem more like fan dreams, and that logistically; it doesn't make really any sense to bring those IP's to the event. For the fans? Maybe, but there are probably reasons to why those and others aren't making it anytime soon.
Isn't Killer Clowns done every year in Vegas still?

On that subject I think it would be great if they could throw in a cult classic like that every year. 4 IP's, 4 Originals and one Cult Classic would be a nice mix.

Reactions: Brian G.
One day I really hope to be on A&D for HHN. I think a good trait for this is being able to see how something could be made into a house even if it isn't scary. I've been doing sketchup treatments for a couple years now and I've done a few on different sort of concepts. I think ANYTHING can be made scary if done correctly. I also think more classics at the event would be amazing. They are truely better than most horror movies that come out nowadays anyways. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm about halfway through a Rick and Morty house. I toyed with the concept a bit and came up with 2 versions. A mashup house, and a "Lost Episode" house with a new storyline, which could easily be a cool 3D house. I definitely think there's more in the video game market too. I'm shocked that TLoU hasn't come yet. It could easily be an uber house one year there's so much material in it. The custom houses at this point are almost becoming a roll the dice and see what we land on type of thing. I have no problem with this, as the designs are amazing. But they kind of seem cliche at this point. I also think there's good ways to fit icons in, in creative ways. I thought a good idea for an Icon was "The Cable Man". He'd show up to fix cable then murder the family XD. That year could all be Ip's themed to TV shows, with some original houses thrown in as "TV Dinner Specials". It's kind of easy to come up with concepts when you think about it. The hard part is securing rights and coming up with different creative patterns for each house. So yea those are my thoughts on the event and what I'd want to see in future years.

Normally we have about one "smaller" IP each year:

2017: Ash vs Evil Dead
2016: Krampus
2015: N/A
2014: From Dusk Til Dawn
2013: Cabin in the Woods

You could debate CITW and Krampus as they both grossed around 40 million at the box office or AWIL as not being known outside of horror geeks, but normally there's one IP that's much smaller than the rest. I remember a month or two ago in the Hollywood thread that Twin Peaks was being rumored(?) for next year, so that could fill the smaller IP niche (with a megahouse please!)

Normally we have about one "smaller" IP each year:

2017: Ash vs Evil Dead
2016: Krampus
2015: N/A
2014: From Dusk Til Dawn
2013: Cabin in the Woods

You could debate CITW and Krampus as they both grossed around 40 million at the box office or AWIL as not being known outside of horror geeks, but normally there's one IP that's much smaller than the rest. I remember a month or two ago in the Hollywood thread that Twin Peaks was being rumored(?) for next year, so that could fill the smaller IP niche (with a megahouse please!)

Twin Peaks was brought up by Chris Galindo who confirmed the leak lineup a while back so it's plausible. I think if AHS leaves next year if Cult can't fit a maze then Twin Peaks is a viable option. As someone who hasn't seen the show, what content would it use scare wise?

One day I really hope to be on A&D for HHN. I think a good trait for this is being able to see how something could be made into a house even if it isn't scary. I've been doing sketchup treatments for a couple years now and I've done a few on different sort of concepts. I think ANYTHING can be made scary if done correctly. I also think more classics at the event would be amazing. They are truely better than most horror movies that come out nowadays anyways. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm about halfway through a Rick and Morty house. I toyed with the concept a bit and came up with 2 versions. A mashup house, and a "Lost Episode" house with a new storyline, which could easily be a cool 3D house. I definitely think there's more in the video game market too. I'm shocked that TLoU hasn't come yet. It could easily be an uber house one year there's so much material in it. The custom houses at this point are almost becoming a roll the dice and see what we land on type of thing. I have no problem with this, as the designs are amazing. But they kind of seem cliche at this point. I also think there's good ways to fit icons in, in creative ways. I thought a good idea for an Icon was "The Cable Man". He'd show up to fix cable then murder the family XD. That year could all be Ip's themed to TV shows, with some original houses thrown in as "TV Dinner Specials". It's kind of easy to come up with concepts when you think about it. The hard part is securing rights and coming up with different creative patterns for each house. So yea those are my thoughts on the event and what I'd want to see in future years.

The Last of Us is probably gonna come when the sequel drops(a la It & Trick R Treat in Hollywood). Video Game IP's are gonna be really good if they come; however what IP's to use is up for debate. I think the most viable are The Last of Us, Bioshock, Outlast, and The Evil Withen. I really want Bioshock since it would be so cool but scaling would be a b!*ch for it(however if they could do Shining why not this). Also your event sounds really good, would make for a great HHN event

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
Saws and Steam was our "Bioshock" house.

Video games are going to be a hard sell to management. Resident Evil "worked" because the films have made it culturally relevant beyond gamers. Silent Hill was, ostensibly, more movie than game based. Basically, something has to be uniquely popular for Universal management to feel it's worth it.

Of the "popular" video game IPs, The Last of Us is probably the most likely, but only when the movie adaptation gets off the ground.

The people who approve these houses are career, theme park, business people. They don't "know" gaming in general, and video games are far harder to present.

Video games are going to be a hard sell to management. Resident Evil "worked" because the films have made it culturally relevant beyond gamers. Silent Hill was, ostensibly, more movie than game based. Basically, something has to be uniquely popular for Universal management to feel it's worth it.

Of the "popular" video game IPs, The Last of Us is probably the most likely, but only when the movie adaptation gets off the ground.

The people who approve these houses are career, theme park, business people. They don't "know" gaming in general, and video games are far harder to present.

Saws N Steams & Catacombs are the two houses I wish I could go to or see; they sound amazing and I wish I knew more about them. Anyways, you would think with such large teenage/college crowds at the event they'd try to market something more out there like a video game; hell if Alice Cooper happened I don't see why Last of Us shouldn't, but I understand the reasons why

I think Five Nights at Freddy's is probably the most likely video game IP. It's a game literally based on the jump scare so is a perfect fit. It seems to be far more well known amongst the general public. You can walk into your local retail store and find merchandise, you see people walking around with t-shirts. I don't really follow video games much at all, but from what I've noticed it seems to have the best combination of a good fit and good pop culture penetration.

Twin Peaks was brought up by Chris Galindo who confirmed the leak lineup a while back so it's plausible. I think if AHS leaves next year if Cult can't fit a maze then Twin Peaks is a viable option. As someone who hasn't seen the show, what content would it use scare wise?

To say something, who says AHS can't be at the event after this year?

Orlando is in a more troubled situation due to them wanting to go for a megahouse, but that Hollywood has Asylum and Coven to use as standalone houses if they wanted too, and that's not even talking about Cult.

And I would assume Universal is on a multi-year contract with FX/Fox for AHS on both coasts, so it wouldn't be an odd sight.

__

Reactions: EllTee
I think Five Nights at Freddy's is probably the most likely video game IP. It's a game literally based on the jump scare so is a perfect fit. It seems to be far more well known amongst the general public. You can walk into your local retail store and find merchandise, you see people walking around with t-shirts. I don't really follow video games much at all, but from what I've noticed it seems to have the best combination of a good fit and good pop culture penetration.

I'd be down with a FNAF house. However, a portion of its fanbase is in the 10-12 year old range due to the fact the game went viral by gaming channels like Pewidepie. As long as the house didn't feature that fanart and had some variety it'd be fine

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
To say something, who says AHS can't be at the event after this year?

Orlando is in a more troubled situation due to them wanting to go for a megahouse, but that Hollywood has Asylum and Coven to use as standalone houses if they wanted too, and that's not even talking about Cult.

And I would assume Universal is on a multi-year contract with FX/Fox for AHS on both coasts, so it wouldn't be an odd sight.

__

I'm sure AHS is gonna stay, but it's a matter of if Cult can fit a house. If it can't it seems like it'd be a good scarezone; Hollywood went the safer route and gets to extend AHS up to 2022(Asylum, Coven, Cult, Lust season, & Murder House/Coven Crossover) at the minimum if the house stays a hit.

I'd be down with a FNAF house. However, a portion of its fanbase is in the 10-12 year old range due to the fact the game went viral by gaming channels like Pewidepie. As long as the house didn't feature that fanart and had some variety it'd be fine

Funny enough, I don't see FNAF fan art that often, nor do I see let's players that often.

It's really only seen in large pulses when a new game comes out.

I would assume that if FNAF comes to Horror Nights, we would see a similar collaboration between A&D of both Coasts, and with Scott Cawthon (Series creator). But that I think the most likely game IP that they would touch, is TLoU. As it fits the three requirements imo.

I'm sure AHS is gonna stay, but it's a matter of if Cult can fit a house. If it can't it seems like it'd be a good scarezone; Hollywood went the safer route and gets to extend AHS up to 2022(Asylum, Coven, Cult, Lust season, & Murder House/Coven Crossover) at the minimum if the house stays a hit.

If AHS in Orlando and Hollywood pulls a similar wait time from last year respected, along with GSATs being high; it will come back.

But again, it's not just relevance to the audience, it's relevance to management. They're the ones who, not only approve the budget to BUILD the house, but approve the budgets to purchase the rights to use the IPs. That's why the video game houses we've gotten had movies. Management can go home, pop in a movie and, after two hours half paying attention, have an extremely good idea of what a house will entail. Video games require far more effort, and that's assuming they actually LIKE playing games and don't just get frustrated by a control scheme. Even a short game is six hours now.

Video games may become more prevalent in about ten years, when people who grew up gaming (and still game) start being the decision makers, but until then it's a really hard sell.

Funny enough, I don't see FNAF fan art that often, nor do I see let's players that often.

It's really only seen in large pulses when a new game comes out.

I would assume that if FNAF comes to Horror Nights, we would see a similar collaboration between A&D of both Coasts, and with Scott Cawthon (Series creator). But that I think the most likely game IP that they would touch, is TLoU. As it fits the three requirements imo.

If AHS in Orlando and Hollywood pulls a similar wait time from last year respected, along with GSATs being high; it will come back.

Most of the FNAF fanart is fine but the extremely sexual ones are uh... I don't even know the word. If FNAF comes I feel like a majority would be in the original location; I feel the largest maze problem that FNAF would face is seeing the animatronics scare you and how some of their functions would work(i.e. Foxy running)

Edit: Legacy got any word on The Fallen and Hive?

It is also much easier to condense a 2 hour movie into a house than a 20+ hour video game.

Reactions: graspthesun
Two weeks to go and no full house line-up? Really? Are we going to find out when the wait time boards go up?

Reactions: youhow2
AHS Cult will probably be at the event next year, but nothing from the completely bizarre and hilarious trailer makes it look like it needs a soundstage.