SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans | Page 47 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It looks like Merlin may be buying (or merging with) ALL the parks. On the surface this seems like a great fit for both companies. Both San Diego and Orlando have Legoland and SeaWorld parks and can create great synergy for pass sales. Merlin is already the #2 park company in the world and the addition of SWP&E just cements that position with ~80 million (~60 from Merlin and ~20 from SW) guests per year versus #3 Universal ~50 million guests per year and #1 Disney with ~140 million guests per year.
FT and Bloomberg are reporting that Merlin initially wanted to buy parts (Busch?) but SeaWorld doesn't want to split up the company.

Theme Park Insider is saying that Merlin's corporate policy would stop them from buying the animal parks, which is nonsense.

If Merlin does buy the whole chain, I would expect to see the SeaWorld brand take over their aquariums within a year and a ton of synergy. Use the aquariums to drive traffic to the parks.

If they just buy Busch Gardens, Merlin will have an Orlando presence. I can't imagine them trying to go head to head with Disney World and Universal Orlando. Instead, they'll probably turn Busch Gardens into a nicer version of Six Flags.
Keep in mind Merlin already has an Orlando presence in Tussaud’s, The Orlando Eye, and Sea Life.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Why do I feel Matt Ouimet news is somehow tied to this?

To post this here too..

i-see-what-you-did-there-gif-10.gif

FT and Bloomberg are reporting that Merlin initially wanted to buy parts (Busch?) but SeaWorld doesn't want to split up the company.

Theme Park Insider is saying that Merlin's corporate policy would stop them from buying the animal parks, which is nonsense.

If Merlin does buy the whole chain, I would expect to see the SeaWorld brand take over their aquariums within a year and a ton of synergy. Use the aquariums to drive traffic to the parks.

If they just buy Busch Gardens, Merlin will have an Orlando presence. I can't imagine them trying to go head to head with Disney World and Universal Orlando. Instead, they'll probably turn Busch Gardens into a nicer version of Six Flags.

All of Seaworld Entertainment minus Seaseme Street are animal parks including Busch Gardens so if that was the case then Merlin wouldn't buy any of them.

I'm actually against this especially after their huge mess up with Legoland Japan where they charged kid tickets 1/3 more the cost of an adult ticket

All of Seaworld Entertainment minus Seaseme Street are animal parks including Busch Gardens so if that was the case then Merlin wouldn't buy any of them.

I'm actually against this especially after their huge mess up with Legoland Japan where they charged kid tickets 1/3 more the cost of an adult ticket
Merlin only wants Busch Gardens. They want nothing to do with the SeaWorld brand.

Merlin isn't getting SeaWorld Ent. The article mentions other anonymous suitors.

Merlin is opposed to marine mammals, so if they were to buy Seaworld as well, gone would be all of that, hence why probably they are only interested in Busch. I think Seaworld Parks is only interested in selling the entire chain though. I've been wondering though, if the whole thing sells, what happens to the Chinese investors? They remain as investors? Also, what happens with the Dubai deal?

Personally, I still hope Seaworld Orlando will become more of a thrill park a la Busch. I know people say, parks like that are everywhere; but face it, not here in Orlando, doesn't do me any good there are thrill parks everywhere else but Orlando lol.

Merlin is opposed to marine mammals, so if they were to buy Seaworld as well, gone would be all of that, hence why probably they are only interested in Busch. I think Seaworld Parks is only interested in selling the entire chain though. I've been wondering though, if the whole thing sells, what happens to the Chinese investors? They remain as investors? Also, what happens with the Dubai deal?

Personally, I still hope Seaworld Orlando will become more of a thrill park a la Busch. I know people say, parks like that are everywhere; but face it, not here in Orlando, doesn't do me any good there are thrill parks everywhere else but Orlando lol.
Merlin doesn't want the SeaWorld brand.

With SeaWorld officially on the auction block now. ie: The Fire Sale has started, it's time for Comcast to start circling the corpse like vultures.

Comcast should buy Seas Ent. Immediately accept Merlin's offer on the Busch Parks to recoup some of the purchase price. Spin the SeaWorld brand off into an NGO relegated to animal rescue and rehab. Move the whales to Texas. Continue to operate Discovery Cove, as is, and Aquatica while upgrading it. Flatten SeaWorld Orlando with the exception of Manta, Mako, and Infinity Falls. Then reopen as Universal's Oceania Theme Park with live animals limited to aquariums like Manta's queue.

Shout out to @Mike S who started this conversation over at MAGIC.

I agree a whale-less variation on a thrill park is the only viable option for SWO. I'm not sure Comcast is the right company to do that (DAK proves you don't need 4 parks in Orlando, I think they'd rather a more contiguous 3rd gate). And I'm still not convinced a thrill park makes more sense in the market than more housing. Polk County makes more sense to me, can run cheaper, which you need to do to compete with the big boys.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
To clarify some of the vagaries that persist here. Fish are completely different from mammals i.e. whales, dolphins and seals/sea lions. For a park to keep fish in tanks shouldn’t be a major issue. It will continue to be the mammals that draw scrutiny and condemnation.

Sharks and sea turtles. Hm. Not sure that orchestra will play in tune either.

To clarify some of the vagaries that persist here. Fish are completely different from mammals i.e. whales, dolphins and seals/sea lions. For a park to keep fish in tanks shouldn’t be a major issue. It will continue to be the mammals that draw scrutiny and condemnation.

Sharks and sea turtles. Hm. Not sure that orchestra will play in tune either.

PETA is a jihad. If it gets down to just keeping brine shrimp (i.e. sea monkeys), they will still piss and moan. That said, I think gen pop is fine with anything that isn't a mammal being cooped up. (And even then, I think Discovery Cove would slide as "educational.")

Tho at a certain point does the cost justify the theming? Fish already pulled from Manta queue, were almost pulled from Shark Bar. If you're basically rebuilding the park, is it easier and cheaper in the long run to ditch aquariums for some rockwork?

Reactions: Andysol
Merlin doesn't want the SeaWorld brand.

With SeaWorld officially on the auction block now. ie: The Fire Sale has started, it's time for Comcast to start circling the corpse like vultures.

Comcast should buy Seas Ent. Immediately accept Merlin's offer on the Busch Parks to recoup some of the purchase price. Spin the SeaWorld brand off into an NGO relegated to animal rescue and rehab. Move the whales to Texas. Continue to operate Discovery Cove, as is, and Aquatica while upgrading it. Flatten SeaWorld Orlando with the exception of Manta, Mako, and Infinity Falls. Then reopen as Universal's Oceania Theme Park with live animals limited to aquariums like Manta's queue.

Shout out to @Mike S who started this conversation over at MAGIC.

So they just don't want Seaworld because of the bad press attached to it? Or is it because they'd have to relocate all the marine mammals?

So they just don't want Seaworld because of the bad press attached to it? Or is it because they'd have to relocate all the marine mammals?
What @Teebin said. The SeaWorld brand is toxic. And there is no answer as to what to do with the whales. Can't release them. Can't keep them.

I think SeaWorld should declare bankruptcy and drop them off in PETA's driveway.

What if they just rebrand the SeaWorld parks as Busch Gardens?
Too late.

We are getting very close to the point where, either SeaWorld Ent. is purchased and dissolved. Or they go into full on bankruptcy/liquidation (which Comcast may be waiting for).

They have to pull the plug while they still have enough resources to deal with the animals. They can't just show up one day, lock the doors and wait for the foreclosure.

Too late.

We are getting very close to the point where, either SeaWorld Ent. is purchased and dissolved. Or they go into full on bankruptcy/liquidation (which Comcast may be waiting for).

They have to pull the plug while they still have enough resources to deal with the animals. They can't just show up one day, lock the doors and wait for the foreclosure.
I meant if Merlin (or anyone else) wants the company but doesn’t want SeaWorld. Seems like they could just rebrand them and problem solved.

SeaWorld Orlando really isn’t in that bad of shape. Just the past few weekends they had hour long waits just to get into the parking lot.

Wait...there aren’t fish in tanks in the manta queue any longer?

I barely use my AP, but word is they were to be pulled first of the year. Shark Bar aquariums were on the chopping block, too, until aquarists and bar staff basically said that was a stupid idea.