Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Aventura Hotel

I'll be honest, I was on edge last time I was at the MK on the ferry. This attack in Vegas is really getting to me. This is the second time this year, I've missed a terrorist attack. I was there in Vegas 2 weeks ago and I missed the terrorist attack on a police officer on the Champs-Élysées by 2 days.
I get what you mean.

It's something I think about every day getting the train into London.

I'm now always super cautious on the streets, keeping an eye on speeding vehicles, people with odd luggage on the train/tube, people who are taking photos of streets and buildings in the City/Square Mile area always suspicious to me too.

Kind of funny to me. I think you have mentioned 'feeling a part of the family' while staying on site. I tend to wake up before the rest of my family, so I tend to go downstairs, walk about, take pictures.

I was at RPR in building 2, so the elevator lets out near the luau area. First morning I am checking it with the camera, within a few minutes, security is there. They never approached me, but I made sure to make eye contact.

I took a few pics and then went over to talk to them. One was in training and had been a part of VB's opening team...we talked every morning after that...then said our goodbyes when I was leaving....
:thumbsup:.....Yes......They make you feel safe without being heavy handed. And always friendly, talkative and joking around.

Not to get too far off track, but is that RP luau area covered in artificial turf? It looked kind of too perfect to me.

The one area that I mentioned that it looked like a great place for a wedding, yes, it is...but that is off to the side of a covered pavilion with tables and a stage (I have heard parts of the luau, but I have never attended.

As somebody who was working on the strip during the incident, I can tell you that is insanely hard to manage. A hotel is literally all baggage, and there's no feasible way to streamline that to be nearly as manageable and consistent of a track as an airport does: it would lead to being a massive inconvenience to guests and pretty much stop things cold. The infrastructure is non-existent. Due to privacy laws, no cameras in rooms so the best thing that can be done is monitor outside access and employ tougher glass on high-rises. There's other things (like gun control) but this is absolutely not the correct thread for it.

At Disneyland Paris right now, they screen every bag before it gets into the hotel, each and every bag, each and every time. They have airport style x-ray machines out front and at all other property entry points, you get wanded on entry into the hotels too.

Sure it's an inconvenience, but it works fine and everybody understands.

At Disneyland Paris right now, they screen every bag before it gets into the hotel, each and every bag, each and every time. They have airport style x-ray machines out front and at all other property entry points, you get wanded on entry into the hotels too.

Isn't France under a state of emergency still? I wonder when they started that

How big are the hotels are DLP?

I keep thinking about a hotel like CBBR with multiple entrances and how much of an inconvenience this could be.

It's not America, though, so behavior is different and they probably have lower attendance. For the states it would be an absolute trainwreck.

Considering the current state of terrorism in Paris/France, I’d be more than ok with it.

It's not America, though, so behavior is different and they probably have lower attendance. For the states it would be an absolute trainwreck.
If this happened 1-2 more times, or (speculation), in particular if this was a “traditional” terrorist- I could see them doing it and people be ok with it.
We had a single person try to blow up a plane with a shoe bomb- now we have to take shoes off STILL for every flight. Right time, right place- right after 9/11... on a plane.

You know what this hotel attack immediately made me think of? Hotel MiraCosta at Tokyo Disneysea. Japan doesn’t concern me in the slightest with that happening, but, as a theme park fan, I couldn’t help but envision a similar scenario there.

Considering the current state of terrorism in Paris/France, I’d be more than ok with it.

If this happened 1-2 more times, or (speculation), in particular if this was a “traditional” terrorist- I could see them doing it and people be ok with it.
We had a single person try to blow up a plane with a shoe bomb- now we have to take shoes off STILL for every flight. Right time, right place- right after 9/11... on a plane.

Again: airports have the infrastructure already, hotels don't. They aren't traditionally built for that flow. It's not about guests being ok with it, it's about practicality.

Again: airports have the infrastructure already, hotels don't. They aren't traditionally built for that flow. It's not about guests being ok with it, it's about practicality.

To add to this slightly. Airports are one way traffic for 99.9% of people. They check in, hop on a plane and go. Hotels have people coming and going all day. You go out for breakfast and come back through security. You go to volcano bay, you come back through security. You go shopping, come back through security. You left something in your room, back through security. It sounds like a nightmare.

To add to this slightly. Airports are one way traffic for 99.9% of people. They check in, hop on a plane and go. Hotels have people coming and going all day. You go out for breakfast and come back through security. You go to volcano bay, you come back through security. You go shopping, come back through security. You left something in your room, back through security. It sounds like a nightmare.

I think a cruise ship would be a better comparison or model than an airline. They have the big check in then, every day at port, they have people coming and going all day. They have a pretty good security model.

That being said, it's still impractical for hotels. It would increase costs a great deal and in both equipment and staffing.

Well I'm back in the UK now and I see the security debate still has some traction.

Security all over Paris as well as the parks was high, understandably so. With recent events who can blame them. At Disney they had armed guards as well as the bag x-ray machines and wanding on the doors I already mentioned. I had lunch in Remy's and the table next to us was full of Disney management, be inquisitive (nosy) I found out from my server that it was the head of security hosting a meeting.

The set up at DLP was that you were security checked at any access points, this could be the front of a hotel or access into the parks via the hotels or from the parking lots. If you came back from the parks and entered the hotel via the rear entrance you were not checked as you already had been getting into the parks and from the park areas was the only way you could access the rear of the hotels (DLP is more like Uni in the fact that everything is in walking distance).

Now bringing it back to the US parks, I get that it would be a lot more difficult, costly and frankly a real pain in the ass but I also get that it would only take one incident to irreparably damage the companies profile. This is an awful world we are living in and security of guests and staff has to be paramount but how they manage it any more than they do already is an impossible task but also one that cannot be over looked as they have to try and stay one step ahead of any security threat.

I'm glad I'm not in the security business but oh so grateful to all the guys that are.

Last edited:
Security all over Paris as well as the parks was high, understandably so.
Hope you had a good trip, we'll be heading over there this time next week.

Security in Paris has always been high, the Metro has always had armed (with semi auto) Police on patrols.

The increase since the November 2015 attacks is reassuring, especially around the Marne La Vallee Station.

I remember my first trip to England in 1978. Police/Military/Security everywhere with what looked like automatic or sub machine guns at Heathrow Airport. Kind of the heights of the Irish issues. At that time it appeared startling to someone from USA like us. Now, I guess, it's kind of the norm....The world has really changed.

I remember my first trip to England in 1978. Police/Military/Security everywhere with what looked like automatic or sub machine guns at Heathrow Airport. Kind of the heights of the Irish issues. At that time it appeared startling to someone from USA like us. Now, I guess, it's kind of the norm....The world has really changed.
Yeah, UK airports, and London Train Stations are like that all the time now

Earlier from VB Bus Drop off:

Don't care about the shoehorn, this is going to be sweet and with the towers across the street will be cohesive. What are they doing with the shed roof against the parking garage? I don't remember that from the plans.

@Brian G. your link in the first post goes 404? Hope you are enjoying the Horrah!