Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show

Spacing as it view able area. With attendance numbers high in IOA, I see them building more lagoon standing area before they bring a lagoon show back to IOA. I would relate it more of how they used the Simpson's area expansion to add more lagoon viewing space (arguable also to add eating space). I'm not saying a lagoon show would never come but the last show became a problem "partially" due to the adequate viewing space in each of the Islands.
It seems to me that IOA has more area than USF, so by that logic they would move the show to IOA. USF has longer thinner stretches but IOA was designed to handle larger deeper crowds for viewing.
LagoonComparison.jpg

It seems to me that IOA has more area than USF, so by that logic they would move the show to IOA. USF has longer thinner stretches but IOA was designed to handle larger deeper crowds for viewing.
View attachment 5558

The map unfortunately has a lot of areas colored that isn't really view able areas (in both parks). Long and thin should be ideal for a lagoon show rather than deep. Deep creates more people who can't see the show and would naturally just walk away or get upset. I think about EPCOT and how much lagoon space they have. The longer thinner spaces are most ideal. The deeper pockets have the most disgruntled guests and you find people just standing back and not even trying to see it but rather waiting for the rest of the group to finish watching. I would really expect some lagoon space to be built before IOA gets the show back to account for the [now goal] of 20K+ people who would be watching the show. I love discussions like this. It helps me get an opposing point of view for research.

I would really expect some lagoon space to be built before IOA gets the show back to account for the [now goal] of 20K+ people who would be watching the show.

That would be interesting. So much is in limbo at IoA and most of it hangs in the balance of what occurs at Park 4. There's no reason IoA can't hold a significant amount of people for a really good show- if that means they build some seating a la RoL- then I'm all for it.
The RoL seating is extremely well done and does it's job effectively while not intruding on aesthetic.
But where should they build it? They could do something at JP or Toon Lagoon, but both of those futures could be in Limbo. Personally, I think smack dab in the middle- Port of Call is the ideal location for seating- it would also open up that area and create a pretty dramatic entrance to the park (not to mention easy exiting).

The map unfortunately has a lot of areas colored that isn't really view able areas (in both parks). Long and thin should be ideal for a lagoon show rather than deep. Deep creates more people who can't see the show and would naturally just walk away or get upset. I think about EPCOT and how much lagoon space they have. The longer thinner spaces are most ideal. The deeper pockets have the most disgruntled guests and you find people just standing back and not even trying to see it but rather waiting for the rest of the group to finish watching. I would really expect some lagoon space to be built before IOA gets the show back to account for the [now goal] of 20K+ people who would be watching the show. I love discussions like this. It helps me get an opposing point of view for research.
Those deep areas are tiered because they were designed specifically as lagoon show viewing. It wasn’t something that was planned for when USF or Epcot were built.

It seems like IOA has more space of the two, at best they’re somewhat equal. In any case as you say either or both would benefit from expanding the space or perhaps they could have a show at both to spread the crowds out.

if that means they build some seating a la RoL- then I'm all for it.
The RoL seating is extremely well done and does it's job effectively while not intruding on aesthetic.
But where should they build it? They could do something at JP or Toon Lagoon, but both of those futures could be in Limbo.

If I could steal from @s8film40 's earlier post, every area highlighted can have a RoL build out to accommodate the crowds. This is actually a pretty great idea.

Side note: It's been awhile. What photo site do you all use to upload pictures to? Photobucket sucks to me.

Side note: It's been awhile. What photo site do you all use to upload pictures to? Photobucket sucks to me.
I use the “upload a file” button built into the forum. It has a size limitation though so sometimes I have to scale things down. Other than that I’ve used Imgur before, it has the handy feature of being able to upload and then copy the BB code directly.

I use the “upload a file” button built into the forum. It has a size limitation though so sometimes I have to scale things down. Other than that I’ve used Imgur before, it has the handy feature of being able to upload and then copy the BB code directly.
Okay. Duh to me. Thank you :thumbsup:. It's been years since I've been on here and still learning the new changes.

This has been discussed before and I remember created a map of where they could expand lagoon viewing areas, I wish I could remember what thread it was on. I went all out on this too. I'll search during my lunch

EDIT: that didn't take very long..

I love ANY idea that would utilize the lagoon, but I think they would need to expand walkways for more viewing areas. It would be a relatively inexpensive addition that could serve many purposes; for example, water parade viewing, nighttime show viewing, shortcuts, general relaxation areas, overflow, etc. They just need to add concrete supports throughout the lagoon and add boardwalk-style areas in between lands.

BLUE: current potential viewing areas, with some places needing some landscaping to be able to see the lagoon.
GREEN: new boardwalk areas

lagoon.jpg

First new boardwalk: JP to Toon Lagoon (need some thinning of shrubbery)
lagoon2.jpg

Toon Lagoon to Marvel SHI
lagoon1.jpg

Only one I'm unsure about is whether a boardwalk behind the hulk would be worth it.
lagoon4.jpg

boardwalk behind Seuss would be biggest section, but also one of the best viewing areas.
lagoon5.jpg

another good viewing area would be from Lost Continent to JP, with Mythos serving as the up charge dinner location
lagoon3.jpg

so, who's got a number to UC?

here's the post again outside of the quote:

I love ANY idea that would utilize the lagoon, but I think they would need to expand walkways for more viewing areas. It would be a relatively inexpensive addition that could serve many purposes; for example, water parade viewing, nighttime show viewing, shortcuts, general relaxation areas, overflow, etc. They just need to add concrete supports throughout the lagoon and add boardwalk-style areas in between lands.

BLUE: current potential viewing areas, with some places needing some landscaping to be able to see the lagoon.
GREEN: new boardwalk areas

lagoon.jpg

First new boardwalk: JP to Toon Lagoon (need some thinning of shrubbery)
lagoon2.jpg

Toon Lagoon to Marvel SHI
lagoon1.jpg

Only one I'm unsure about is whether a boardwalk behind the hulk would be worth it.
lagoon4.jpg

boardwalk behind Seuss would be biggest section, but also one of the best viewing areas.
lagoon5.jpg

another good viewing area would be from Lost Continent to JP, with Mythos serving as the up charge dinner location
lagoon3.jpg

so, who's got a number to UC?

Last edited:
also found this idea by @gentPerry

With the Dreamworks acquisition by Comcast I'm sure we've all been thinking about how to incorporate the properties into the parks. Hopefully one day we'll be able to enjoy a HTTYD E-Ticket, but in the meantime I thought about some ways to bring Dreamworks into the parks quickly and somewhat easily. These Blue Sky ideas could bring new experiences to IOA in 2018 as a complement to F&F opening in the Studios.

Idea #1 - Dreamworks water parade in the IOA lagoon

Inspiration: water parade at Tokyo Disney Sea
maxresdefault.jpg

Description of map below:
Red - parade float storage
Yellow - parade path
Blue - viewing areas along the lagoon
View attachment 3574

Parade float properties: Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, HTTYD, Madagascar
View attachment 3575
View attachment 3576
View attachment 3577
View attachment 3578

More IP's could be incorporated into the parade to fill it out (Ex: Seuss, Jurassic Park, etc...)

Idea #2 - Dreamworks based Stage Shows

Replace Sinbad with a HTTYD show based on the popular arena show
View attachment 3579
View attachment 3580

Use the Toon Lagoon theater for a Shrek themed show. It could be an adaptation of the current Shrek: The Musical. The Shrek and Donkey characters could also be used like the Genie (DCA's former Aladdin show) to add some improv humor.
View attachment 3581

This has been discussed before and I remember created a map of where they could expand lagoon viewing areas, I wish I could remember what thread it was on. I went all out on this too. I'll search during my lunch

I for one appreciate the effort you took to go find your quote. If they go with boardwalks, they would have to them theme for me not to complain. Being devils advocate though, I'm not sure if they would for for that. Unless they are closed all day, the boardwalks would encourage guest to use them as short cuts. A big thing parks want you to do is stay on the main paths so you have to pass by shops and food stalls but I do love this concept as a ideal as well. Great job.

I agree that IOA has the best lagoon of the two to have a show since it's more round shaped. I'm still holding out for them to expand the viewing areas first in some form or another.

I wouldn’t expect more infrastructure other than some more lights and lasers. They’re not reinventing the wheel here. Though some of these ideas are great for a third park.

Hopefully they will move away from the "Highlight reel of Universal movies" approach that we saw with Cinespec & the movie balls.
Since the statement claimed the new show will have a "new story" I'm holding out hope that it actually has a story.

I actually liked Cinematic Spectacular. It was a pleasant way to end a day at the parks with nostalgia of some of my favorite flicks that usually inspired me to go home and hit Netflix. However, it certainly was weak sauce compared to Disney's offerings (sans Rivers of Light, which I didn't hate, but didn't really like either). I agree with the other posters here: go all in on the fountains and focus on the animated characters from Illumination and DreamWorks. World of Color proves that you don't need pyros to do a good night show.

Glad they’re trying to freshen things up. I’d love for Uni to put together a good parade next. Superstar or whatever it’s called makes Move it Shake it look like Paint the Night. Saddest excuse for a parade ever

Are drones completely out of the question for this show? I know Disney tested with that Springs Christmas show, but I'm curious if that could be a direction.