Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Cabana Bay or Offsite?

For what it's worth, if you choose to stay off-site, try looking into other restaurants in the Orlando area. CityWalk's food is very good, but there's a whole bunch of other good restaurants scattered across Orlando.
Cafe Tu-Tu Tango.
Agave Azure (if it's still open) is pretty good.
And there's Restaurant Row on Sand Lake.

How much more money is Cabana Bay? If its not that much, then definitely go with Cabana Bay. Its not a dump. With an offsite hotel, that is always a crapshoot. Remember that parking is 12 dollars a night at Cabana Bay but you don't have to pay 20 dollars to park in the park. Also, Cabana Bay has a better pool area (2 of them). Riding the bus over is okay. Can be really crowded when exiting the parks at night. If you walk over to Sapphire Falls (across the street) you can take the boat over, which is much easier. Also, bag check is at the boat and is a much easier process than being dumped off near citiwalk, where the bag check lines can get really long at times. Plus, you hear people talk about being in the "Disney bubble" inside Disney resorts. I feel that same way at Universal resorts. There is just something about being onsite that makes a vacation better. Offsite you feel like a "visitor." Onsite you feel like one of the family.

I would always stay off site to save at that difference, but then I am cheap as it is and usually don't care about paying for a nice room to sit there. I have stayed in that best western. They have shuttles to the park at certain times which are usually fine enough combined with uber a few times. I thought it was among the best value I have had for a hotel nearby. I think it was around $250 for four nights offseason on an priceline deal.

I would say most people on here would probably pay a pretty large premium for the on site convenience being such big fans of the parks. I chose to spend less per day and go multiple times a year, but you may put more value in staying on site if this is a rare trip.

I would always stay off site to save at that difference, but then I am cheap as it is and usually don't care about paying for a nice room to sit there. I have stayed in that best western. They have shuttles to the park at certain times which are usually fine enough combined with uber a few times. I thought it was among the best value I have had for a hotel nearby. I think it was around $250 for four nights offseason on an priceline deal.

I would say most people on here would probably pay a pretty large premium for the on site convenience being such big fans of the parks. I chose to spend less per day and go multiple times a year, but you may put more value in staying on site if this is a rare trip.

I'm not sure I would agree with that. I did not start staying on site (regularly) until they opened CBBR. The price tends to drop if you stay something like 3 or 4+ nights. I've stayed at the Double Tree across the street and that was a complete waste of $$, I stayed many times at the Hampton Inn towards Fun Zone...I obsolutley hated the Days Inn or whatever is tied to the worst TGIF's I have ever been in...

In my memory (could be wrong, but it has been years since I've been to the other place)...anyhow, I really do not think I have paid as much for CBBR as I have when we would stay at places like Pop or AllStar...but, I am a FL res and both parks always have times where I can get a discount...but I am sorry, CBBR (so far for me at least) has always been well worth what they charge and far above any of the immediate area hotels I have tried...although that might be in the 3 to 5 different places and there are tons of places to stay in the area.

Anyhow, if I could afford it and were visiting Disney, I would save a ton by staying at the Hilton Bonnet Creek to be in the 'Disney' bubble, I would never pay what they get for the Grand Floridian...heck, I think I have paid less to stay at RP than what Disney has wanted from me for Pop (or darn close)...maybe it is timing, AP discount or FL res, but this not (to me) about being spoiled to be in a bubble...I can be cheap as well, but I certainly like to get my $$ worth, so far I have been lucky....but I for see a day when these guys might get as insane as others, then I will move on to fun spot or sea world or BG Tampa before I will bend over to visit a dang amusement park. (and I stay in hotels for work more than a few times, so I feel I have experience around hotels/rates/value.

CBBR is absolutely a great value for what it is. You'll have the time of your life. Compared to a best western it's purely no contest. The ease of staying on site completely changes the vacation. Go ahead and get completely lost.

I forgot to mention why I'm a huge fan of the hotel.

Food: The food is pretty decent for a cafeteria. The hamburgers are great (Cabana Bay Burger) and breakfast isn't too bad also. And you have just enough options to find something you will probably like. The cafeteria is huge also so there's always plenty of space in there to find a seat. Also I like how you can order food from some of the Citywalk restaurants. I know I could from the pizza place at least.

Convenience: It's just more convenient being onsite. Especially if your going to Volcano Bay. You can walk to the parks or just take a bus. The bus usually comes pretty quick so your not waiting long.

Scenery/Theme: You get to stay at a place with nice scenery. Especially now with Volcano Bay next door. And the hotel itself is a lot nicer than the similar priced Value motels at Disney IMO. The theme is pretty cool too. For example the look of the Jack LaLanne's Fitness Studio is retro and has certain charm to it.

Pools: You have 2 pools to choose from and one has a lazy river. I love lazy rivers so this is just icing on the cake!

Bowling: It has a bowling ally.

Looks like you made the right choice! I haven't personally stayed at Cabana Bay, but can speak to staying on site. So convenient, gives you the immersive "bubble" feel that a lot of people are after, and the hotels are wonderful. I was converted after my stay at Sapphire Falls last year.

Enjoy your trip!

And if you want a sit down table restaurant, there's great choices right across the street at Sapphire Falls, or a little down the path at Royal Pacific. 5-7 minute walk.

There are a few tables in the bowling alley as well, just as another option...and I think all the hotels have a Starbucks.

There are a few tables in the bowling alley as well, just as another option...and I think all the hotels have a Starbucks.
Yes, I believe the bowling alley food area is even referred to as a sit down venue, but they have a very limited choice of a few sandwiches and such. The Starbucks in CBBR is a pretty good sized one. The Food Court is pretty good though. Lots of choices. Old time 50's era TV commercials on the huge screens and a gigantic seating area. . And the pool food areas have a very decent selection of good food.....And then there's the Fire Pits in the evening. Smores and all.

Hey Guys!

One more quick question for you all....what is the easier/quicker option to go to CityWalk...taking the bus or walking to SF and taking the water taxi?

I'd take the boat from Sapphire. If you take the bus, it goes to the Parking Garage. Then it's a fairly long walk to Citi Walk AND you have to go through the huge security check that everyone coming into the parks from the garage is lined up for......The Sapphire security check at the boat dock is quick & friendly. Plus it's a fun scenic trip on the boat.

I'd take the boat from Sapphire. If you take the bus, it goes to the Parking Garage. Then it's a fairly long walk to Citi Walk AND you have to go through the huge security check that everyone coming into the parks from the garage is lined up for......The Sapphire security check at the boat dock is quick & friendly. Plus it's a fun scenic trip on the boat.

giphy.gif

I've never had an issue with the Uni security line. Always moves quickly, and the buses are quicker to/from the hotels. Not sure I'd call the walk from the bus drop off, which is right below security, to CityWalk all that long either.

It is a tossup really, if your goal is just to get into the park say for early entry take the bus and give yourself about 30 - 40 minutes before early entry time. If you are going for a romantic dinner at CW take the boat.

You will never wait much for the bus, the taxi can take 10 - 15 minutes sometimes.