Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Rian Johnson's Star Wars Trilogy

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
It was just revealed that Rian Johnson, director of The Last Jedi and of films like Looper and Brick has been officially announced to write and direct a brand new trilogy for the Star Wars universe.

Rian Johnson to Create All-New Star Wars Trilogy | StarWars.com

The new trilogy, will be separate from the Skywalker saga, as it will feature a new set of characters in new territory not featured in the universe.

He will also be tagged along by Ram Bergman, which has collaborate on Rian before with Looper and Brick.

No release dates have been given for the new trilogy.

What do you think? Are you excited for the prospect of Rian getting free reign to do anything for the Universe, or are you scared of what may come? Comment down below!

I don't really know what to make of it but I'm more than happy to get more Star Wars and I think this speaks volumes about Disney's confidence in the Last Jedi to hand him 3 new films.

It was just revealed that Rian Johnson, director of The Last Jedi and of films like Looper and Brick has been officially announced to write and direct a brand new trilogy for the Star Wars universe.

Rian Johnson to Create All-New Star Wars Trilogy | StarWars.com

The new trilogy, will be separate from the Skywalker saga, as it will feature a new set of characters in new territory not featured in the universe.

He will also be tagged along by Ram Bergman, which has collaborate on Rian before with Looper and Brick.

No release dates have been given for the new trilogy.

What do you think? Are you excited for the prospect of Rian getting free reign to do anything for the Universe, or are you scared of what may come? Comment down below!

Not sure what I think about this one. Does this mean the end of the Skywalker saga, will they run concurrently, or will there be a 6 year break and they do another Skywalker saga trilogy? If they are concurrent, does that mean the anthology movies are done? Or can they really be going to do 3 movies every two years? While it works in the MCU, I just am not sure how it will look with SW. It could start to take away from the specialness of the movies. As for Johnson, I'd have to wait till after LJ before making a comment on that.

Not sure what I think about this one. Does this mean the end of the Skywalker saga, will they run concurrently, or will there be a 6 year break and they do another Skywalker saga trilogy? If they are concurrent, does that mean the anthology movies are done? Or can they really be going to do 3 movies every two years? While it works in the MCU, I just am not sure how it will look with SW. It could start to take away from the specialness of the movies. As for Johnson, I'd have to wait till after LJ before making a comment on that.

There are spinoff films of Obi-Wan, Jabba the Hutt, and Boba Fett that have all been said to be in development. If I was to guess, this would replace the Skywalker Trilogy for a few years, and to go explore a different time period for the Star Wars universe.

I'm waiting to see what he does with "The Last Jedi" first. If he does a good job then I may look forward to it.

Ahh who am I kidding. I love all things Star Wars (yes even the prequels). Hell yeah Im excited! Its a great time to be a Star Wars Fan!

The more I think about, this is such a refreshing thing to see from Disney and I hope if they can gain back some confidence and faith in their gut feeling, it may extend to the parks. An IP has to extensively prove itself before it can even be considered for an attraction.

Fans have been asking for this for a long time. The Skywalker Anthology has run it's course. Time for some new blood.

I think anyone who has asked for this is not really a SW fan.

Actually, as a Star Wars fanatic, I do agree with @rhino4evr on that the Skywalker saga has run it's course, and that while I love Rey; Finn; and BB-8, I would much rather want to see a new time period hundreds of years before the original saga. That way, it gives time to introduce the world to a new story that doesn't have to tie itself into the prequels, OT, or Awakening trilogy.

Actually, as a Star Wars fanatic, I do agree with @rhino4evr on that the Skywalker saga has run it's course, and that while I love Rey; Finn; and BB-8, I would much rather want to see a new time period hundreds of years before the original saga. That way, it gives time to introduce the world to a new story that doesn't have to tie itself into the prequels, OT, or Awakening trilogy.
I agree.

The SW Universe is so deep and filled with unknowns about certain time periods or characters. Sticking to just the Skywalker saga is very limiting and honestly, with Han dead, Carrie's unfortunate passing, and Luke's story likely wrapping up, there's no need to continue. At least immediately.

I don't know. We had the original trilogy and I loved it. I was young and I'd never seen something like that on the big screen. De prequel trilogie was a huge, all cgi, bad acted disappointment and although I thought the first one of the next trilogy was ok it also was more of the same. Not a death star but a death planet and all the same vehicles, ships, Vader wannabe and what not...but slightly different. The one off was not the fantasy movie we knew and loved but a gritty war movie with some humor forced in there and because of that lacked focus. I dislike the animated series with a passion and now we get a live action tv show and a new trilogy that has nothing to do with "my" Star Wars. On top of that the current trilogy is in production and one off's use up more directors than thought possible because no one is allowed to add their artistic view of the formula dictated by the Disney corporation. I have a hard time getting excited.

Some interesting details of Rian Johnson's trilogy, via producer Ram Bergman.

You’re working on three new “Star Wars” movies. What can you reveal about them?

It’s a completely new trilogy that writer-director Rian Johnson, my partner, is going to create. It’s all new characters. Everything is new.

What’s the plan for releasing the first one?

I can’t tell you because we don’t know yet. Maybe in two years; it’s just in the early stages.

'Star Wars' producer: Upcoming trilogy will feature 'all new characters' | From the Grapevine

Personally, I still think this will turn out well. I think most people's problems with TLJ was how Rian handled the OG characters. The cinematography was fantastic and the film looked stunning (seriously that scene where the ship went light speed through the other ship was gorgeous). I don't know too many people that would disagree about the LOOK of the film. With that said, I think with Rian now creating his own characters and not having to mold his story around pre-existing ones that come with everyone's preconceived notions on how they should act, he will be able to create something special and unique. Just my two-cents tho!

Also, this is coming from someone who has enjoyed (for the most part) the new films. I don't think they're masterpieces by any stretch but I've enjoyed watching them.

Rian Johnson on the Freedom of His ‘Star Wars’ Trilogy & ‘Knives Out’ | Observer

Rian's trilogy has been confirmed to be disconnected from the Skywalker saga.
This excites me since this could prove that he has complete control over the trilogy unlike solo which had too many fights between directors and the producers. I loved what they did with one Rogue One and that seemed very separate from the original trilogy to me despite being a prequel of sorts.