Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

I would think the "seats" are chosen randomly, and am I missing something, are there only 4 seats in each pod? Holy capacity nightmare Batman.

falconride.jpg

Concept art shows 6 seats. The other two could likely be cut off in the photograph^.

Yeah, sure does. I'm thinking the other ride will be the stronger attraction of the two.
As it's supposed to be.

They sort of had to make Battle Escape better in order to draw people away from the Falcon. Think about it: If you're the average guest or even a big Star Wars fan, do you want to go fight Kylo or do you want to step aboard the famed Millennium Falcon? The Falcon is going to have insane waits simply because there's going to be a giant replica of the Falcon outside the attraction serving as a weenie to draw guests in. It should be a good ride with pretty good capacity, but if you want a ride that is aiming at taking down FJ and Spider-Man (note I said aiming), then Battle Escape is the ride for you. The sheer joy that guests are likely to have when they come off the ride is what's going to make this ride so popular.

Both rides are smartly aimed at different fan groups. The Falcon is aimed at the fans who grew up with the original trilogy and the Battle Escape Ride, with it featuring the newer characters and the First Order, is aimed more at those who may have just became fans of the franchise because of the new trilogy.

I'm a little confused. Do we have ideas of capacities for the Falcon or Battle Escape rides?

You have a detailed cockpit fitting 6 on the Falcon. How many cockpits could there possibly be? Let's say 20 (!!) for the sake of argument. That's 120 people per cycle. The ride will be 4 minutes (average ride length? I'm really guessing here) ish, plus load/unload. I would think load/unload would be long because of people wanting to take pictures. Let's say 6 minutes for a full cycle. That's 120 people per cycle, 10 cycles an hour for an hourly capacity of 1200 people. That's nothing.

Something just seems off to me. The cockpit is way too detailed and way too big.

I'm a little confused. Do we have ideas of capacities for the Falcon or Battle Escape rides?

You have a detailed cockpit fitting 6 on the Falcon. How many cockpits could there possibly be? Let's say 20 (!!) for the sake of argument. That's 120 people per cycle. The ride will be 4 minutes (average ride length? I'm really guessing here) ish, plus load/unload. I would think load/unload would be long because of people wanting to take pictures. Let's say 6 minutes for a full cycle. That's 120 people per cycle, 10 cycles an hour for an hourly capacity of 1200 people. That's nothing.

Something just seems off to me. The cockpit is way too detailed and way too big.

6 per cockpit. 7 per turntable. 4 turn tables. 168 per cycle. No way it's a 2 minute load/unload. I'm almost betting we get separate load and unload to save time. If they can a rotate and load in 1 minute, thats 2400 per hour. and would be a 5 minute ride time.

6 per cockpit. 7 per turntable. 4 turn tables. 168 per cycle. No way it's a 2 minute load/unload. I'm almost betting we get separate load and unload to save time. If they can a rotate and load in 1 minute, thats 2400 per hour. and would be a 5 minute ride time.
Yes, the ride will be much higher capacity than it may seem because it's essentially using Omnimover technology for the load/unload.

If all 6 people have some sort of control of this thing, the that’s going to be one long ass pre show.
Expect the queues of both rides to be similar to Flight of Passage according to @Marni1971.

I believe he has said that for Battle Escape, the ride doesn't technically start until what is considered "Scene 8".

Expect the queues of both rides to be similar to Flight of Passage according to @Marni1971.

I believe he has said that for Battle Escape, the ride doesn't technically start until what is considered "Scene 8".

Please for the love of everything in the galaxy, let a different person write and direct the pre-show then :lol:

Yes, the ride will be much higher capacity than it may seem because it's essentially using Omnimover technology for the load/unload.

If the art we've seen with the cockpit hall it accurate though, can it really keep moving the whole time? Wouldn't it have to line up with the hallway and stop while people are boarding? Unless the hallway itself can move too, I can't see a way to do that.

If the art we've seen with the cockpit hall it accurate though, can it really keep moving the whole time? Wouldn't it have to line up with the hallway and stop while people are boarding? Unless the hallway itself can move too, I can't see a way to do that.
The basic description of the turntable patent allows for it to go 4 times slower at load/unload too. Perhaps they could literally move the boarding tunnel to sync with the (very) slow-moving RV pod to simulate NOT moving while you load. Most of the long tunnel stays still, but the final little room where only your party enters could (theoretically) move in sync with your vehicle. In any case, the load area is much slower than the regular ride path using this system.

From the patent:

More particularly, a ride system is provided that may be operated to achieve an omnimover ride with a generally circular path. Significantly, passenger vehicles are “chained” together as with prior omnimovers, but the vehicles may have varying velocities by changing their radial positions along differing portions of the ride path (e.g., a smaller radius in a station to facilitate loading and unloading and a greater radius in a show space or portion of the ride path to increase vehicle velocity such as by 50 to 100 percent or more).

The ride system includes a stationary and centrally-located platform for loading and unloading passengers and a turntable assembly.​

I think part of the reason the load station is in the center of the circle is that the RV travels slower when moved towards the middle, than when moved outwards to edge of the circle. See the illustration below:
US20130059670A1-20130307-D00010.png
By moving inwards the vehicle is traveling less distance, like a runner on the inside track. When the ride really begins after load, it moves outward, so travels a farther distance, not only giving more time for the ride, but also traveling 4 times as fast. Moving in the middle makes it twice as fast as the load platform, and so on.
US20130059670A1-20130307-D00004.png
And don't even get me started on what it'll feel like when the ride moves up and down while moving in and out along the path! Wow, this ride may feel crazy.
US20130059670A1-20130307-D00006.png
Note: It probably goes without saying, but for patent purposes regular omnimover ride vehicles are shown, but for this attraction imagine small simulator pods instead.

EDIT: I think my point is this giant turntable is already going really really slow, but they've figured out a way to move the RV to the inner part of the circle to make it even slower at load. With the ground moving at the same speed as the RV, you may not even realize it's moving.

DOUBLE EDIT: If you look closely at Figure 11B above, you may notice half of the ride vehicles are on the outside of the circle at Load/Unload area... That's because the system can actually go around twice for one show. That makes the ride twice as long, giving two full revolutions. Only every other car is in the load position at the load area, the others are still only half-way through their ride. So, yea. Something to think about.

Last edited:
The basic description of the turntable patent allows for it to go 4 times slower at load/unload too. Perhaps they could literally move the boarding tunnel to sync with the (very) slow-moving RV pod to simulate NOT moving while you load. Most of the long tunnel stays still, but the final little room where only your party enters could (theoretically) move in sync with your vehicle. In any case, the load area is much slower than the regular ride path using this system.

From the patent:

More particularly, a ride system is provided that may be operated to achieve an omnimover ride with a generally circular path. Significantly, passenger vehicles are “chained” together as with prior omnimovers, but the vehicles may have varying velocities by changing their radial positions along differing portions of the ride path (e.g., a smaller radius in a station to facilitate loading and unloading and a greater radius in a show space or portion of the ride path to increase vehicle velocity such as by 50 to 100 percent or more).

The ride system includes a stationary and centrally-located platform for loading and unloading passengers and a turntable assembly.​

I think part of the reason the load station is in the center of the circle is that the RV travels slower when moved towards the middle, than when moved outwards to edge of the circle. See the illustration below:
View attachment 5885
By moving inwards the vehicle is traveling less distance, like a runner on the inside track. When the ride really begins after load, it moves outward, so travels a farther distance, not only giving more time for the ride, but also traveling 4 times as fast. Moving in the middle makes it twice as fast as the load platform, and so on.
View attachment 5886
And don't even get me started on what it'll feel like when the ride moves up and down while moving in and out along the path! Wow, this ride may feel crazy.
View attachment 5887
Note: It probably goes without saying, but for patent purposes regular omnimover ride vehicles are shown, but for this attraction imagine small simulator pods instead.

EDIT: I think my point is this giant turntable is already going really really slow, but they've figured out a way to move the RV to the inner part of the circle to make it even slower at load. With the ground moving at the same speed as the RV, you may not even realize it's moving.

While all of that is possible, I don't think that is the patent for the MF ride. Or at least not in its entirety. That describes the load being in the middle. That's not what it looks like in the the OCR showed a while back.

We saw the blueprints for Disneyland’s Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and this is what they show – Orange County Register

In those, the load would certainly be on the outside with the screen on the inside. Moving in and out to replicate speed is possible, but I can't see it being as drastic as what the patent above shows.

Now what you said about the boarding tunnel moving slightly, that is certainly possible. Making the bend be a hinge and have it operate like a airport gangway would allow the turntable to keep moving.

Overview

Battle Escape:

Falcon:

@Teebin, here's a good aerial showing the difference how they will be able to hide SW:GE well enough. The ground level is drastically different where the tunnel entrance is and above the tunnel. Since it has been filled in with nothing but dirt, the top of the tunnel will technically be ground level for that area.

Last edited: