Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Grinch (2018)

Just for those who may be worried about the film's visual and artistic quality...here is some of Pete Candeland's (main director) previous works and also part of the reason I don't think this film is going to go how other Illumination films have gone

Just for those who may be worried about the film's visual and artistic quality...here is some of Pete Candeland's (main director) previous works and also part of the reason I don't think this film is going to go how other Illumination films have gone

To note, the film is being written by Michael LeSieur, who's previous work has included three films and a TV show.

And that Yarrow Cheney will also direct with Candeland, with Yarrow's previous works including the likes of SLoP for Illumination.

In recent years, I’ve went back and watched bits and pieces of the live action Grinch for the first time since I saw it in theatres when it came out. It’s so laughably bad. I can’t help but crack up at Jim Carrey’s overacting.

I was never a big fan of giving the Grinch a backstory. But we’ll see if they can do it well this time and give it heart. The Grinch as a baby/kid in the live action one is down right terrifying

This films new story

The Grinch tells the story of a cynical grump who goes on a mission to steal Christmas, only to have his heart changed by a young girl’s generous holiday spirit. Funny, heartwarming and visually stunning, it’s a universal story about the spirit of Christmas and the indomitable power of optimism. Academy Award nominee Benedict Cumberbatch lends his voice to the infamous Grinch, who lives a solitary life inside a cave on Mt. Crumpet with only his loyal dog, Max, for company. With a cave rigged with inventions and contraptions for his day-to-day needs, the Grinch only sees his neighbors in Who-ville when he runs out of food.

Each year at Christmas they disrupt his tranquil solitude with their increasingly bigger, brighter and louder celebrations. When the Whos declare they are going to make Christmas three times bigger this year, the Grinch realizes there is only one way for him to gain some peace and quiet: he must steal Christmas. To do so, he decides he will pose as Santa Claus on Christmas Eve, even going so far as to trap a lackadaisical misfit reindeer to pull his sleigh. Meanwhile, down in Who-ville, Cindy-Lou Who—a young girl overflowing with holiday cheer—plots with her gang of friends to trap Santa Claus as he makes his Christmas Eve rounds so that she can thank him for help for her overworked single mother. As Christmas approaches, however, her good-natured scheme threatens to collide with the Grinch’s more nefarious one. Will Cindy-Lou achieve her goal of finally meeting Santa Claus? Will the Grinch succeed in silencing the Whos’ holiday cheer once and for all?

This films new story

The Grinch tells the story of a cynical grump who goes on a mission to steal Christmas, only to have his heart changed by a young girl’s generous holiday spirit. Funny, heartwarming and visually stunning, it’s a universal story about the spirit of Christmas and the indomitable power of optimism. Academy Award nominee Benedict Cumberbatch lends his voice to the infamous Grinch, who lives a solitary life inside a cave on Mt. Crumpet with only his loyal dog, Max, for company. With a cave rigged with inventions and contraptions for his day-to-day needs, the Grinch only sees his neighbors in Who-ville when he runs out of food.

Each year at Christmas they disrupt his tranquil solitude with their increasingly bigger, brighter and louder celebrations. When the Whos declare they are going to make Christmas three times bigger this year, the Grinch realizes there is only one way for him to gain some peace and quiet: he must steal Christmas. To do so, he decides he will pose as Santa Claus on Christmas Eve, even going so far as to trap a lackadaisical misfit reindeer to pull his sleigh. Meanwhile, down in Who-ville, Cindy-Lou Who—a young girl overflowing with holiday cheer—plots with her gang of friends to trap Santa Claus as he makes his Christmas Eve rounds so that she can thank him for help for her overworked single mother. As Christmas approaches, however, her good-natured scheme threatens to collide with the Grinch’s more nefarious one. Will Cindy-Lou achieve her goal of finally meeting Santa Claus? Will the Grinch succeed in silencing the Whos’ holiday cheer once and for all?
I like that. It's more in the spirit of the 60's classic Grinch animated version rather that the mediocre movie with Carrey's typical way over the top so called comedy.

Grinch's hair is a pleasant surprise. Usually Illumination tries to minimize their spending on hair (i.e. Gru or the Minions) to keep budgets lower than their competitors, but they're not skimping on Grinch's look.

wk75bwd.jpg

Trailer drops tomorrow

I thought the whole point was that everyone is supposed to be afraid of The Grinch except for Cindy Lou-Who? This makes it seem like everyone is pretty casual with him.

I don't know... it looks pretty 'meh' to me. If others find enjoyment in it, that's totally cool, but I don't see this being something I like. Also, why is his cave so dang bright and well-lit?? That's not very Grinch-like at all!

Isn't everyone supposed to be afraid of the Grinch? Even in Jim Carrey's version, every Who is totally afraid of the Grinch, even when he arrives at the Who's Christmas Party just to have fun.

Last edited:
I always thought the implication of the story was that the Grinch was a recluse.

In any case, it looks fine for a kid's movie... but it appears to be lacking the timeless charm of the original story and the original animated special. Seeing the Grinch interacting with people in a modern supermarket - or being forced to listen to modern pop songs - just doesn't feel right!

I always thought the implication of the story was that the Grinch was a recluse.

In any case, it looks fine for a kid's movie... but it appears to be lacking the timeless charm of the original story and the original animated special. Seeing the Grinch interacting with people in a modern supermarket - or being forced to listen to modern pop songs - just doesn't feel right!

Completely agree! This just feels... soulless. Then again, Despicable Me is the only Illumination film that I like. Nothing against anyone that does enjoy the other ones, they just aren't for me.

Or maybe you realize its a two minute trailer that doesn't show any plot whatsoever so how can you compare the story etc to anything?

The Grinch is a famous story that's already had visual incarnations?

This looks... well it looks like Illumination. Seems the bright idea is, "What if the Grinch was more like Gru?" More shameless self-promotion with Happy and minions, more eye-roll worthy cutesy crap layered with mediocre design and at the very least bouncy cartoonish animation. Not really thrilled with him just casually strolling into Whoville but you can't do much worse than the Ron Howard iteration.