Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

In my opinion, there were two reasons why Klownz wasn't a huge hit, not only because it was an original theme. I feel like #1, it was basically competing with pretty strong IP's that year, like AWIL and AvP (in it's first year was pretty good honestly), so it clearly got overshadowed. Not to mention #2, I remember after going through it several times, hearing people outside the maze talking about how it felt repetitive with just the 3 clown characters, thus making it feel sort of lackluster. The music was great and was a great example of a 3D house, but it was a bit of a generic storyline with few iconic characters. Basically, that's the risks with original concept mazes: getting overshadowed by IP ones and not having a really strong story/characters.

Also, it was bad

Also, it was bad

Really? I didn't remember it being that bad. Generic and unmemorable, maybe, but still fun to walk through and with a couple of neat little gags.

On the subject of El Cucuy: I feel like I've gone crazy. I loved that maze. It was a brutal story with memorable visuals (hands under the bed, the birthday party, the missing children posters) that was still pretty easy to follow. The finale was a bit weird, sure, but still fun enough to go through. God knows it was better smelling pumpkin spice than the toilet smells they've used in years past.

Ryan Murphy survives American Horror Story maze at Universal Studios | EW.com

"Evidently, Murphy and the cast are already casting an eye forward toward how Cult’s spooky societal mirror might translate as a maze next season. “The thing about this year is the villains on the show are more reality-based. It doesn’t have a lot of supernatural stuff. So I think it’ll be a lot of clowns jumping out,” says Murphy. “And a lot of Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson impersonators.” "

Ryan Murphy survives American Horror Story maze at Universal Studios | EW.com

"Evidently, Murphy and the cast are already casting an eye forward toward how Cult’s spooky societal mirror might translate as a maze next season. “The thing about this year is the villains on the show are more reality-based. It doesn’t have a lot of supernatural stuff. So I think it’ll be a lot of clowns jumping out,” says Murphy. “And a lot of Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson impersonators.” "

I mean....I know this isn't that much of a surprise, but at this rate, we're really gonna have to wait for Asylum to come to the event. Though I'm positive they're gonna incorporate many visuals from the commercials into the maze.

Hmmm...I haven’t seen Cult but from what I can gather, it doesn’t seem like it would take up a lot of space. Maybe they will bump it to a smaller venue and save the bigger one it’s been in for something else that requires more resources?

I'm still leaning towards Asylum. Obligatory "If this is Murdy's last year" aside, Murdy has made it pretty explicit in the past that he wants to do an AHS Asylum maze. I think that Murdy can convince Murphy to let him do the season that way.

If they do Cult this year instead of Asylum, I can definitely see it being bumped down to the Mummy or the AvED spot, with either TrT or Stranger Things maybe going in Parisian Courtyard. The mega-tent can be taken up by a couple of things, although if I were a betting man, I'd say it's probably either IT (They need the space for an interior Neibolt facade and the sewer drain with the floating people) or The Conjuring (If they're really doing all five movies, it's gonna be alot of facades).

Hollywood's Horror Icons Discuss The 'IT' Factor And Their Ultimate Halloween Movie Mazes

John Murdy: "We have a great relationship with Jason Blum and I certainly have my eye on his new Halloween film which will be released in October 2018. We’re always trying to keep our fingers on the pulse of where the horror genre is going and Michael Meyers is one of my favorite properties. I’m really excited to actually have Jason here to celebrate the opening night with us and I’m going to probably hit him up for a copy of the script.”

Jason Blum: "You say John Murdy already has his eye on Halloween for next year? Oh boy. I’m getting him a script immediately, we have to do Halloween. Are you kidding me? We have to do it, we hope to, he hasn’t agreed but that would be amazing. We did announce that Jamie Lee Curtis will be returning to Halloween, that’s correct, but will there be any more legacy surprises for fans? There might be. No comment."

I would be dollars to donuts that if The Conjuring appears it will be in the WW cue.

Ugh. I wish Conjuring could get the mega maze treatment since it has to cram into a maze, but WW is good sized so I guess it fits. Also I’d bet money that if Cult returns it’s either in the FDTD Area Tent or Metro Sets Tent; if it’s in #2, then Stranger Things will most likely go in the mega tent

Ugh. I wish Conjuring could get the mega maze treatment since it has to cram into a maze, but WW is good sized so I guess it fits. Also I’d bet money that if Cult returns it’s either in the FDTD Area Tent or Metro Sets Tent; if it’s in #2, then Stranger Things will most likely go in the mega tent

Stranger Things in the mega-tent? Assuming they don't take half the tent to make the Mind-Flayer, how would that work?

I've always imagined that if IT and The Conjuring are going to be at the event, they'd both be in the Metro Sets and/or 747 queue. But if AHS Cult is switched to another location, I think Stranger Things could definitely take up the FDTD spot, or the other previously two mentioned IPs. Whatever it may be, those 3 IPs I feel could serve better as the best mazes to end the night in the backlot, as many guests of HHN usually work their way down when going through the mazes.

Stranger Things in 747 would be a dream come true.... Too bad it's probably going to end up in the metro set
(Ignore the photo displayed below)

Attachments

• qqqq.jpg
    qqqq.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 13
I’d imagine whatever Classic property we get is gonna go in the Mummy Queue, just to keep up the trend. Just speculating, but I can see the upper lot mazes being The Conjuring, Universal Classic Monsters Mashup, & The Walking Dead; the lower Lot mazes being IT and Halloween, and the Backlot mazes being Stranger Things, AHS Cult, and Trick r Treat with the terror tram being themed to Nightmare on Elm Street.

Ima tell you guys all this right now.

Curb your enthusiasm.

You guys are counting your chickens before they hatch and I know if the final lineup doesn't end up being what we have been speculating I don't want us to start smack talking without giving it a shot.

*plus one of the more popular IPs you guys really want to come maaaaaay have not made the final cut. JS...

Curb your enthusiasm.

You guys are counting your chickens before they hatch and I know if the final lineup doesn't end up being what we have been speculating I don't want us to start smack talking without giving it a shot.

*plus one of the more popular IPs you guys really want to come maaaaaay have not made the final cut. JS...

ugh if it’s The Conjuring then that property is never coming

Leaked image of the "upside down" concept art:View attachment 5912

I think we should have a counter for how many times that joke is going to be used this year, just in general..

Curb your enthusiasm.

200.gif