Little Known Hotel Perks | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Little Known Hotel Perks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Also RPR relatively closer to VB for extra few mins in bed before EPA. Bus First picks up RPR then SF. RPR short walk to SF pool and (is it called Strong Water Tavern at SF) - I remember someone (maybe @Mad Dog or @UK-Trigg saying how good that Strong Water Tavern / veranda? was)

Portofino harbour area looks stunning but are some rooms far from the boat dock?
Yep, both UK Trigg and I really like Strong Water Tavern. Very unique small plates, great drinks, and really nice employees. My employee experiences there have been so good that I wrote a letter to the Chairman of Loews lauding the very special personal service they gave me....(Chef came over to my table, sat down and described the dishes and what he was trying to accomplish at the restaurant. Then later he brought us (me & Alene)a complimentary Banana's Foster dessert that he prepared especially for us. Also, the servers treated us like family every time we ate there). I give them a big :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:....Portofino boat dock distance kind of depends what wing your room is in. If you're in the West Wing it's close. If you're in the East Wing it's about a hundred yard walk.

Yeah agree, tavern is well worth a visit, barman created an awesome maple bacon rum. The patio outside offers a nice view and offers a chilled out vibe to enjoy your drinks.

Reactions: Coasted and Mad Dog
If staying at RPR, Strong Water is really the bar/restaurant to frequent. Jakes at RPR is good but Strong Water is better. It's only a 2 minute walk from the RPR pool area, it's that close, I walked it.

But Royal Pacific has a great water play area which my kids always said was better than the water slides at both Portofino or Hard Rock.
The times I've been at the RPR pool, the kids's boat water spray play area was always filled with happy smiling kids having loads of fun,,,,and some of their parents too....It seems to be a really popular area :thumbsup:

Reactions: Coasted
But Royal Pacific has a great water play area which my kids always said was better than the water slides at both Portofino or Hard Rock.
Yep, keeps all the kids and their families over by the beach while the adults can enjoy the hot tub and pool by the bar area. Great use of space.

Reactions: Mad Dog
If staying at RPR, Strong Water is really the bar/restaurant to frequent. Jakes at RPR is good but Strong Water is better. It's only a 2 minute walk from the RPR pool area, it's that close, I walked it.

It’s amazing/convenient how Sapphire is only like 2 giant steps away from RPR. Their kitchen offers a lot of good desserts on the go. Something you can’t really get at Royal Pacific. The smoothies are really good.

I don’t know if the other hotels have it but I love being able to wake up in the morning at RPR and head down to the lobby and make my own cup of coffee.

It’s amazing/convenient how Sapphire is only like 2 giant steps away from RPR. Their kitchen offers a lot of good desserts on the go. Something you can’t really get at Royal Pacific. The smoothies are really good.

I don’t know if the other hotels have it but I love being able to wake up in the morning at RPR and head down to the lobby and make my own cup of coffee.
I walked over to RPR from SF most mornings to have a bite. Going through the convention space was amazing from the sparse SF side to the ornate RPR side.

I walked over to RPR from SF most mornings to have a bite. Going through the convention space was amazing from the sparse SF side to the ornate RPR side.

It’s a great spot for a quick breakfast. I did a lot of walking around Sapphire last year. It’s very nice. I wanna check out the pool this year. I’m still in favor of RPR because I feel like I get the most vacation vibes from it. But I wouldn’t be opposed to trying Sapphire one year

It’s a great spot for a quick breakfast. I did a lot of walking around Sapphire last year. It’s very nice. I wanna check out the pool this year. I’m still in favor of RPR because I feel like I get the most vacation vibes from it. But I wouldn’t be opposed to trying Sapphire one year
Sapphire & RPR, in my opinion after doing a good number of days at both hotels on a few different occasions, are about as close to equal as can be, except for one "really big" difference. And that difference is "Express Pass" . Royal Pacific has it and Sapphire doesn't. If the price spread isn't too much and is doable for your budget, then the choice has to be RPR. During the non peak times of the year it's possible to get good rates on RPR if you're staying for 6 plus nights or you have an AP discount. But during peak times RPR is pretty expensive.

Last edited:
Sapphire, in my opinion after doing a good number of days at both hotels on a few different occasions, are about as close to equal as can be, except for one "really big" difference. And that difference is "Express Pass" . Royal Pacific has it and Sapphire doesn't. If the price spread isn't too much and is doable for your budget, then the choice has to be RPR. During the non peak times of the year it's possible to get good rates on RPR if you're staying for 6 plus nights or you have an AP discount. But during peak times RPR is pretty expensive.

You hit the nail on the head haha. Express is what keeps me going back to RPR. I go in the summer so I have to have Express. It’s a no brainer.

What I great thread! Just seeing it for the first time, and wished I had know about hotel priority restaurant access before. It works at most restaurants, both in the park and at Citywalk? Does that include Toothsome?

I was there during a period where they used to do the Wok Experience at RPR. Loved that. While I haven't stayed at Portofino (my husband has, and he said it was nice, but it wasn't his favorite), we have stayed at HRH and RPR, and I think RPR is our favorite. Also love the vibe for Cabana Bay, but we really want the Express Passes included, so we've yet to stay there. :/
I asked Seth Kubersky (writer of Orlando Universal Unofficial Guide & Staff writer on Touring Plans) this question on another thread. He just now replied and confirmed that Toothsome doesn't accept Priority seating. He also said Touring Plans has the complete list of establishments that accept Priority seating, but added that he needs to update the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott W.
What’s the best place to book the hotels? Looks like I might only be doing 5 or 6 nights there now but the express pass means I’ll be getting more bang for my buck anyway so it’s a huge advantage.

How does the express pass work for Volcano Bay?

What’s the best place to book the hotels? Looks like I might only be doing 5 or 6 nights there now but the express pass means I’ll be getting more bang for my buck anyway so it’s a huge advantage.

How does the express pass work for Volcano Bay?
Volcano Bay EP is a separate purchase. The hotel pass does not carry over to there. I book through Universal but never a package just the room. Try both the hotel directly and Universal portal, almost always Universal has the better price and selection of rooms.

Sapphire & RPR, in my opinion after doing a good number of days at both hotels on a few different occasions, are about as close to equal as can be, except for one "really big" difference. And that difference is "Express Pass" . Royal Pacific has it and Sapphire doesn't. If the price spread isn't too much and is doable for your budget, then the choice has to be RPR. During the non peak times of the year it's possible to get good rates on RPR if you're staying for 6 plus nights or you have an AP discount. But during peak times RPR is pretty expensive.

I still give RPR a leg up over Sapphire how it's decorated. Sapphire went a little minimal, bland on the rooms. Also, RPR is/was my favorite on-site hotel for FOOD. Tchoup Chop was my fave but hopefully its replacement will be just as good. And Jake's, Islands Dining Room, and Orchid Court Sushi all offer great bites.

Reactions: Coasted