Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022) | Page 45 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
fire still off today. Don't know where to put this but water tunnel on Poseidon's Fury was off too.

What the heck is going on? I'd like to think it's just maintenance but I fear they're just going cheap with the parks, between this and all the delays in construction. :thud:

They don't really have much leeway for error after F&F.

Last edited:
Reactions: tankart150
What the heck is going on? I'd like to think it's just maintenance but I fear Comcast is just going cheap with the parks, between this and all the delays in construction. :thud:
Things break. When I worked at the Jungle Cruise we used to run the ride with multiple scenes down at a time. There’s also been no “delays in construction” afaik? We’re getting a ride a year and they’re about to build a whole new park. Take a deep breath

Things break. When I worked at the Jungle Cruise we used to run the ride with multiple scenes down at a time. There’s also been no “delays in construction” afaik? We’re getting a ride a year and they’re about to build a whole new park. Take a deep breath
If the fire effects "broke" in such a way that it required them to be turned off for over a month, then that means Universal's maintenance department isn't doing their job. If it was a planned refurbishment of the effects, it should have been scheduled with a broader closure of the ride in the off-season.

If the fire effects "broke" in such a way that it required them to be turned off for over a month, then that means Universal's maintenance department isn't doing their job.

As someone who works in th engineering field...lol no. Sometimes things happen that are unforeseen. They could also be updating the systems or something. It’s not the end times

The fire effect hasn't been off for long, they've already stated it's a refurb, why are we trying to spin this as a massive issue that signals the end of times?
No one is saying it's the end of times. It's just classic bad show which us theme park fans shouldn't be brushing off. There are certain effects that are integral to the experience of a ride and I'd argue the fire effects on Mummy are one of those. If the T-Rex on River Adventure is down for over a month, that ride shouldn't (and wouldn't) be operating. Same idea here.

By the way, this isn't a Universal problem. Lord knows Disney lets attractions operate with multiple effects broken for months on end and I give them poop for it every time. Back in the day, there used to be a point system for show effects. Something like a lighting cue would be worth 1 point and an animatronic something like 5 points. If the total number of effects that were down totaled a certain number of points, it would trigger a ride closure.

Last edited:
The redesign of the entrance looks awesome and really helps add some class to what was always a convoluted and ugly setup. It also just flat-out makes me happy when Universal does something like this because it shows they're still actively evaluating and improving. That said, I REALLY wish they would have just closed the ride for a 1-2 month refurb. It's bad show and I'm not just referring to the lack of fire effects either (although I do feel those aren't something the ride should operate without for an extended period). The entire attraction needs a significant sprucing up.

I'm of the opinion that Mummy should remain in the park indefinitely and feel it's already earned the right to be considered a "classic" Universal attraction in a park with very few. It's a fan favorite and even after 14 years of operation, it still packs a "wow" to newcomers. It deserves both TLC and the full removal of the Brendan Frasier coffee gag from the ending which is both puzzling and embarrassing. In its place should be the short scene used in the Singapore version which is almost an exact replica of our ride but without the direct tie-in to the film which will help keep it timeless.
This is a fantastic post that sums up pretty much all of my feelings about The Mummy....except that the tomb section of the queue should be extended to the rest of the queue. Such a great queue.
Ah yes, I remember my expedition into the frozen sahara scene a while back. :lol: I wish the skippers could poke fun at the broken effects, wait, can they?

Reactions: tankart150
No one is saying it's the end of times. It's just classic bad show which us theme park fans shouldn't be brushing off. There are certain effects that are integral to the experience of a ride and I'd argue the fire effects on Mummy are one of those. If the T-Rex on River Adventure is down for over a month, that ride shouldn't (and wouldn't) be operating. Same idea here.
"maintenance department isn't doing their job"
"What the heck is going on? I'd like to think it's just maintenance but I fear Comcast is just going cheap with the parks, between this and all the delays in construction."
Both of these comments are trying to spin Universal as not doing their job. I understand that it sucks that the fire is out, but things happen, it's a ride. The fire effect is being worked on, and the Mummy is staying open for capacity's sake. It is now the summer, and they need popular rides open to spread out crowds. It is okay. It is not Evil Comcast cutting down on effects and costs and trying to make lame rides to cash in.

"maintenance department isn't doing their job"
"What the heck is going on? I'd like to think it's just maintenance but I fear Comcast is just going cheap with the parks, between this and all the delays in construction."
Both of these comments are trying to spin Universal as not doing their job. I understand that it sucks that the fire is out, but things happen, it's a ride. The fire effect is being worked on, and the Mummy is staying open for capacity's sake. It is now the summer, and they need popular rides open to spread out crowds. It is okay. It is not Evil Comcast cutting down on effects and costs and trying to make lame rides to cash in.

You took that first comment out of context but I agree the second one regarding Comcast going cheap (which wasn't said by me) is reactionary and completely unfounded based on the evidence we have. If there is one thing Comcast isn't, it's cheap with the parks. They've invested more in the last 2 years than Blackstone did in their entire run of owning the parks.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Ah yes, I remember my expedition into the frozen sahara scene a while back. :lol: I wish the skippers could poke fun at the broken effects, wait, can they?

When I was there (which was 7 years ago...oh god... SEVEN) you technically weren’t allowed to go off-script. I say technically because it only mattered if you got caught

By the way, this isn't a Universal problem. Lord knows Disney lets attractions operate with multiple effects broken for months on end and I give them poop for it every time. Back in the day, there used to be a point system for show effects. Something like a lighting cue would be worth 1 point and an animatronic something like 5 points. If the total number of effects that were down totaled a certain number of points, it would trigger a ride closure.

Universal Orlando - Guest Services

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Things happen and “a month” isn’t that long in the grand scheme of things. It’s not ideal or perfect but things break. Volcano at Kings Dominion hasn’t operated in a month because it’s likely waiting for a spare part from Intamin. It just happens. And once the fire effects come back it’ll be forgotten they went away in days.

You took that first comment out of context but I agree the second one regarding Comcast going cheap (which wasn't said by me) is reactionary and completely unfounded based on the evidence we have. If there is one thing Comcast isn't, it's cheap with the parks. They've invested more in the last 2 years than Blackstone did in their entire run of owning the parks.

I can understand why folks feel Comcast is pinching pennies or something, but I do not see it that way and I would expect the fire to return...and as i’ve hinted at before, I prefer them to be overly cautious when using real fire.

Anyway, Comcast seems pretty smart to me. They know how to grow a company! But they are smart about it. I personally think attractions like Twister and Earthquake were expensive to operate. One might take attendance numbers to justify the cost, but that first showing of Twister could play for 2 to 10 people, so I do not expect to see all day attractions like this those ever again and I think many jaded fans will always think of Comcast as cheap for going after attractions like those (and I am sure parts are hard to come by for older attractions)...anyway, I know you did not call them cheap, I was just pointing out how some seem to hate any change....I recall loving bands when they were playing clubs..then the few that would make it, start playing bigger venues...they would be called sell outs by these jaded folks that only wanted them playing clubs.

The whole "Comcast being cheap/taking their time" is a load of bullcrap. They're putting together an entirely new nighttime show on a scale we haven't seen in a long time (if ever) a few hundred yards away, and in record time.

Also what @Galaxy Defender said about having to adjust gas lines for the show makes sense, except would those tanks be the closest to the show? I remember we saw tanks out back of the furious ride construction, does the ride have any fire effects? Maybe those are for something else.

Reactions: jtsalien
Prediction- we'll never have fire again at the Mummy.

Disco Fire
3091693490_7f66b9ae62_z.jpg

Reactions: Mike S and Joel
If the fire effects "broke" in such a way that it required them to be turned off for over a month, then that means Universal's maintenance department isn't doing their job. If it was a planned refurbishment of the effects, it should have been scheduled with a broader closure of the ride in the off-season.

Mummy opened almost 15 years ago. Believe it or not, there are some parts of an attraction that become that old that become obsolete. Or the company that makes them goes out of business. It's not always just a matter of how much money you'll spend on parts or overtime... Some rare things have long lead times. And you can plan refurbishments and preventive maintenance all you want... But you'll never reach 100% success.

And because it's not an element that breaks frequently or takes a ride down, it doesn't make sense to have many on hand.

There is a point system that determines "bad show". Fire being off isn't enough to take down Mummy. Because it shouldn't be.