The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW) | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I've talked to some people and basically: Bob Gurr is full of it and there are no active plans for a new fleet.
There will need to be though. They can't keep running these monorails into the 2020's and beyond. Honestly, I would be incredibly pleased if for the 50th anniversary we got a new fleet.

The current fleet is past it's expiration date and is literally falling apart. It's either time to shut it down or order a new fleet. They can't wait until something tragic happens to do something. It's better to be proactive than reactive.

All that money they are finally spending of new rides and attractions but haven't done anything about 30 year-old monorails.:(

Did a quick search and can't find anything else about this. How could multiple windows fall out of the same time?

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
Totally unacceptable for a world-class destination resort.

I mean, the condition has been totally unacceptable for years at this point, but it's to the nth degree at this point.

All that money they are finally spending of new rides and attractions but haven't done anything about 30 year-old monorails.:(

Did a quick search and can't find anything else about this. How could multiple windows fall out of the same time?
Don't think they fell out. I think the train is broke down and the guests pulled them out. Its really hot out there!!

Don't think they fell out. I think the train is broke down and the guests pulled them out. Its really hot out there!!
I agree. Everything breaks down from time to time, but these monorails are seriously due for retirement.

The monorail's don't smell very good inside even with the ventilation going. I can't imagine what they're like when the power is off for a while

Reactions: SeventyOne
That still doesn't give Disney a free pass to continue that.

It's..disappointing, to say the least, of the quality of their monorails deteriorating.
It was said on another board by one who should know that the installation of removable windows in those positions is a recent development. Too sad that TDO has accepted there will be extended times guests are left sweltering on the beam so they modified the windows rather than repairing the equipment so it won't leave guests to fend for themselves.
@LieutLaww I think you mispoke, there are no "staff" in the cars. The guests were directed to remove the windows themselves.

That still doesn't give Disney a free pass to continue that.

It's..disappointing, to say the least, of the quality of their monorails deteriorating.

For perspective, if you left your dog or baby in a car parked in the hot Florida sun without a/c running, you'd go to jail. The Pixie Dusters trying to defend this as somehow better are beyond the pale.

Even in a perfectly maintained system with brand new trains something like this could happen. Something as simple as a lighting strike taking out power could create this and there's really no way to control that.

Even in a perfectly maintained system with brand new trains something like this could happen. Something as simple as a lighting strike taking out power could create this and there's really no way to control that.

There's no argument that in perfect circumstances issues can happen to brand new systems running well. But this is not that, the monorails go down frequently, and this is another tally added to the list of massive issues with the monorails (those being talked about and not).

There's no argument that in perfect circumstances issues can happen to brand new systems running well. But this is not that, the monorails go down frequently, and this is another tally added to the list of massive issues with the monorails (those being talked about and not).
Oh I totally agree. I'm just pointing out that all there really is to this story is that a monorail broke down. That sort of thing is going to happen no matter what, it's the frequency that it happens that's an indication of ongoing issues. If anything the fact that this story is so big would seem to indicate that a monorail breaking down is very rare. I don't believe that to be the case though, I think it's just a matter of someone getting a photo of the right thing at the right time and spreading it around with misinformation. I guess what I'm really getting at is Disney rightfully deserves a lot of criticism over how they've maintained the monorails, this just isn't it though.

The WDW monorails will often break down and the air conditioning will still run. It's only if for some reason the power supply to the beam is lost (or cut for safety) that the AC turns off. The drivers are instructed to tell guests to pull those vent windows out of the doors when that happens. About once a year this happens, it's nothing new.

At Disneyland the windows always have opened:

2l311bq

2l3f8xt

Oh I totally agree. I'm just pointing out that all there really is to this story is that a monorail broke down. That sort of thing is going to happen no matter what, it's the frequency that it happens that's an indication of ongoing issues. If anything the fact that this story is so big would seem to indicate that a monorail breaking down is very rare. I don't believe that to be the case though, I think it's just a matter of someone getting a photo of the right thing at the right time and spreading it around with misinformation. I guess what I'm really getting at is Disney rightfully deserves a lot of criticism over how they've maintained the monorails, this just isn't it though.

The WDW monorails will often break down and the air conditioning will still run. It's only if for some reason the power supply to the beam is lost (or cut for safety) that the AC turns off. The drivers are instructed to tell guests to pull those vent windows out of the doors when that happens. About once a year this happens, it's nothing new.

At Disneyland the windows always have opened:

2l311bq

2l3f8xt

Lets put it this way.

Someone is habitually late to work either due to their own choices (out partying!) or fluke once in a year things (power outage so no alarm, car broke down, etc). At what point does the separation not exist for the employer?

We're not talking about windows opening, we're talking about vehicles going down so often and now the system going down it causes massive issues with the comfort and safety of guests who pay over $400 a night for rooms with monorail access. A fluke issue doesn't matter when daily outages and downtime are common for YEARS.